Let's See Your Pig And Pig Gun

worthog RSA, .243 WITH BARNES SOLID.

DSCN9617 (4).JPG
DSCN9832.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
and here is a question from the "teapot", that is, an ignorant amateur: what happens to the meat of captured trophy animals, in particular this lovely forest pig?

Generally speaking, the best pig is the one that slices. And a good barrel for her, as it turned out, is called Jim Beam. Do not judge strictly - in Russia, the "old new year" is celebrated - this is the new year according to the Julian calendar, an unofficial family holiday.And I want to say that the best selection of weapons and hunters, as in this branch - I have not seen for a long time.

Attachments

• 16106442872161188207783175727770.jpg
    16106442872161188207783175727770.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 172
and here is a question from the "teapot", that is, an ignorant amateur: what happens to the meat of captured trophy animals, in particular this lovely forest pig?
Well, here is what was done with the hind quarters-I cured them, turning them into hams. Let them cure in the brine for about a week, then smoked them. I wish the pictures illustrated the salty, peppery, smoky goodness. I took these to my family for Christmas, and they are still asking for more. I may just have to get some out of the freezer and have some for breakfast tomorrow...

I also made a bunch of sausage- bratwurst, Italian, and breakfast sausages, although I don't have any pictures of those.
IMG-5284.jpg
IMG-5278.jpg
IMG-5286.jpg

In Africa most animals are fully utilized and shared. This Bush Pig was used for needed protein for the trackers, skinners, drivers, cooks, house-keeping staff, and camp staff to feed their families. It is sometimes used by the hunting camp to feed the guest but often dispersed locally to those in need.

This particular animal and others were divided by the camp staff. It was shot in October when no hunters had been in camp for a month. The Bush Pig and other animals were the only meat they had received for a month. I was the last client till March of the following year.!

Hunters feed those in need all over the world whether in North America, New Zealand, Africa, or other parts of the world. I am always conscience of the need to preserve game for my family or those in need.

I don’t know that I’d consider many of the pigs I’ve shot “trophies,” but in my case, what happens is roasts, sausage, ground meat, etc. Throughout the pandemic and occasional food shortages, my family has eaten game meat from my freezer, not grocery store meat.

"How come you didn't use one of your double rifles on that pig? Most of the photos I've seen on here with you and your harvested game, have a double rifle in the photo. Just curious?"

Truth is, I was just going to shoot eating size pigs that day until the rancher mentioned that he had seen a sounder of hogs just inside the trophy pasture (usually for hunting boars with dogs) anbd we could hunt there is we liked. Curiosity got the best of a couple of us and we walked over to check it out. One buddy and I eased up a slight incline to see what was in a field and there were many hogs. He shot one stirred up the mob and then out walked the biggest hog I had seen on the ranch. Just could not pass it up! The staff rolled the dead hog into a tractor front end loader and hauled it back to the cleaning area.

WRT use of double rifles - I have broken in/blooded two doubles on boars on that property, and taken Nilgai, red deer, etc with doubles elsewhere in Texas..
Very cool crs! That IS one large pig!

The last time I sat down with a group of Russians - about a dozen Russian Admirals and Generals at a two-week Department of Defense sponsored conference at Harvard of all places - they tried to kill me with 100 proof Vodka. I like to think that I can handle Bourbon and Scotch - but these guys were professionals. :oops:

В последний раз, когда я сидел с группой русских - около дюжины российских адмиралов и генералов на двухнедельной конференции в Гарварде, спонсируемой Министерством обороны, - они пытались убить меня 100-процентной водкой. Мне нравится думать, что я могу справиться с бурбоном и скотчем, но эти ребята были профессионалами.

So I was pounding away on the keyboard in our non-therapeutic "Politics" thread and decided that I seriously needed a single malt. Walking by the patio door, I decided to pick up the 5.56 on which I have Thor thermal optics mounted and see if there were any uninvited visitors in the pecans. Sure enough, at 8:30 PM and 300 meters away, I could detect a swarm of bright spots on the low ridge next to the river. Incredible technology. Only Apaches had that capability when I was on active duty. Anyway, the wind was perfect so I simply walked down through the pasture until I was forty yards away from 15 to 20 of them, leaned against a tree, picked out a big one and wacked it behind the ear with a 67 gr SP. Simply amazing ability to shoot without an external light - IR or otherwise.

The rifle was built by a friend in the business and has a incredibly accurate match barrel.

View attachment 384087

Slide a suppressor on that baby and you might be able to seriously reduce those numbers before they even knew it. Very nice tool.

I don’t know that I’d consider many of the pigs I’ve shot “trophies,” but in my case, what happens is roasts, sausage, ground meat, etc. Throughout the pandemic and occasional food shortages, my family has eaten game meat from my freezer, not grocery store meat.
@Trail Rated The meat in itself is a fine trophy that can be shared.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross