KUDU RIFLES

I used a 280AI with 150 Barnes TTSX one shot 300 yard so 7mm bullet is plenty JMO, have fun that was when I went so May is great well that is the only time I been lol, it is all about shot placement in the end. Good luck

I may have been a little unfortune, but my two kudus are shot at 340 and 330 meters range....So I vote for my 7 mm RemMag with a 160 grains premium bullet.

My Ruger 77R in .338WM with 225 gr. or 250 gr. bullets. Had her for over 25 years and she never let me down. Shot a Kudu back in April with it, he went from standing to lying flat and never moved. That's how I spell success!

Bart has twisted me. I took the 300WM out all this fall determined to go bigger.

Developed a load this summer, tested it, shot it at targets.
Then took it out and tried to use it on game.

I missed a deer at a distance I typically would not. Doubt started to creep in.
Took one at close range.
Then I missed one at two hundred yards, prone on a bipod. I was now convince I could not shoot and should take up knitting.
Now I had to figure this out or it was not going to have an opportunity to go after Kudu.

To the range in the farmers field at lunch.
9 inches high at 100 yards. hmmm. Scope is off. No idea why.
Adjust accordingly.

I shot a 3006 afterward and it felt like a pop gun. hmmm

Between me and the scope I figured out the reasons for the misses, finally.
A 300WM is not a .270 and I have to hold it differently. The 300WM is not a popgun.
Learning how to shoot a larger caliber is interesting.

The results:
One shot, double lung Elk. Perfect placement. Still couldn't shoot the African shoulder shot.

Finally;
I did the back up shot on the Moose. Mine was the lower shot.
Heart Lung.jpg

Finally put a shot into the shoulder for the top of the heart double lung shot. Down in 70 yards.
View attachment 15079

Four holes in the chest (entrance/exit) ZERO blood trail in the snow. Four drops where the bullet exited then nothing.
With snow, no trackers required. we have it so easy here.

Eland and Kudu beware. Bart's making me bring the big gun.

I think if Plains game is all your after and Kudu is the biggest the 7x57 would be grand... I have a Mannilicher Shoenauer in 7x57 I would love to use on a kudu sometime!!!

Ed

Kudu rifle

So what did you kill your last Kudu with? Did it work OK? What else will you be hunting? Are you taking only one rifle? So many questions.

Both your 7x57 and your .375 H&H will easily kill a Kudu, as will many cartridges in between, IF you place your shot correctly.

I shot my first Kudu with my 7mm Rem mag, my last with my .375 RUM, both worked fine. If I was to hunt another Kudu I'd probably use my .300 Weatherby. They all like to have their turn. :)

Right at this very moment after eating a mushroom, garlic & salami pizza & drinking a few Jim Beams, I would take my Weatherby Mk V 300 with 180gr North Fork SS.
If you asked me tomorrow I'd probably go with my CZ550 9.3x62 with 250gr North Fork SS or my Winchester Model 70 Safari Express 375 Ruger with 270gr North Fork SS.
It sure is nice having a choice.

Right at this very moment after eating a mushroom, garlic & salami pizza & drinking a few Jim Beams, I would take my Weatherby Mk V 300 with 180gr North Fork SS.
If you asked me tomorrow I'd probably go with my CZ550 9.3x62 with 250gr North Fork SS or my Winchester Model 70 Safari Express 375 Ruger with 270gr North Fork SS.
It sure is nice having a choice.

beau416 after eating a pizza with that combo you would need the .300 ,as nothing would let you close enough to use the others :p:laughing::beer:

All of them sound perfect to me!!!!

My best

My daughter is taking her 257Roberts with 120gr Swift A-Frame bullets at 2899FPS. I will use my 338win mag with 225gr Swiftt A-frame bullets as back-up.
Planned to take my Ultra-Lite 30-06 with 165gr Swift A-frame bullets but the best I can do is 2750FPS which does not allow for longer shots as easy. I am going to see what I can get those bullets to do out of my 300win mag.

Sure have killed a few critters with my 257 roberts...awesome caliber that's not too well known in younger crowds. I passed mine down to my son like a good daddy ;)

My daughter liked hers so much she shot the barrel out when she was younger. Last year I had a Douglas air-gage SS barrel installed and it is a tack driver. What surprised me was the load I worked up for it with the 120gr Swift A-Frame bullets are doing 2900 FPS over my chronograph. To bad that is with a discontinued powder. The best I could get my 25-06 to do with the same bullet is 3000FPS. It was not worth taking my rifle for only 100FPS increase.

So now I am considering my 30-06 as the PH has one and I can "shoot up all my ammo" before returning to the USA. If I cannot get what I want out of it then I might take the 300Win mag. Weather permitting I will do some load testing tomorrow.

:confused: Ok Bart I thought we had already discussed this what happen to the 22LR. go 7x57 it'll take all of your plains game. Good Luck. :D

:confused: Ok Bart I thought we had already discussed this what happen to the 22LR. go 7x57 it'll take all of your plains game. Good Luck. :D

but where is bart?:lookaround: havent heard from him in awhile ..............................

A question for Beau416 : I see you have a Winch Safari Espress cal .375 Ruger, I have the "same" rifle but .375 H&H . Have you buy it in this caliber .375 Ruger
or have you made a modif ?

Hi bebo, congrats on having a very nice Safari Rifle. Mine is a new 375 H&H. I have the barrel removed & had a new 24" barrel contoured to original spec & the iron sights.
& chambered it for the 375 Ruger which I believe is a much better case design. It is a few hunderd feet per sec quicker. I have it throated so I can load to an overall length of 3.600". The advantage here is that I can load the incredibly good 300gr North Fork SS without intruding into the powder space. This bullet at 2700 fps or the 270gr North Fork SS at 2900 fps is enough for anything I will ever hunt on this Planet. My mounts as always are Warne quick detach levers & again as always a Zeiss Victory HT.
My very favorite rifles are the new Win Model 70, CZ 550 & of course the Weatherby Mark V of which I've had 6 or 7 maybe 8. I have on order a new Weatherby Mark V Custom Ultramark in 300 Wby Mag. I have had several 300s since the mid 70s. They kill like a bolt of lightning. cheers, Beau.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg