KUDU RIFLES

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by BARTFRNCS, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I was a bit surprised how well it did. I took my 338Win partly for back-up but never needed it. The load I worked up for her rifle used H-450. Went to get more powder and found out it is no longer made. Too bad as it was the fastest load and would put 5 shots into one hole at 100 yards. That Swift bullet was very good.

2. Poucher

Poucher AH Member

in bush country the CZ550 carbine in 9,3 x 62 is perfect or the 375 Ruger carbine could work as well, in open country 8 x 68S, 300 Weatherby or even 375 H&H with 270 bullets do it right.

3. Code4

Code4 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
    So what did you end up useing ?

4. watman

watman AH Member

I'm taking a CZ550 FS in 9.3 for my hopeful Kudu in April. That said I'm also bringing a 308 so whatever's in my hands at the moment.

5. Poucher

Poucher AH Member

I took my biggest Kudu with acustom 8 x 57 with Norma Alaska 196 gr bullets at 32 yards. If you donnot strech to far the shots you can take yours with a well place 180 gr bullet from yours 308 win, the 9,3 will gives you a litle more confident to take difficult shots in the bush.

6. BigSteve57

BigSteve57 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    I took mine with a 375 H&H through an Acacia tree. Well, not necessarily through the tree. It was standing behind the tree that is shown behind it in the photo. They like standing in heavy brush, I am told. It's part of the reason they are called the Grey Ghost of Africa.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

7. Double D

Double D AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Canada, Kyrgyzstan
    This was a great thread started a long time ago, I really enjoyed reading it. It touched on a lot of great different opinions. I enjoyed the fact that a young girl took her trophies cleanly with a 257 rbts and I love that round but never had the guts to take it. The fellow originally asked if his 7 x 57 was enough for Kudu. On one of my first safaris my rifles didn't show up and I borrowed a 7x57 to shoot a kudu, a zebra and a springbok before my rifles showed up, I cant imagine a better caliber for plains game. So he started out with a 7x57 and a 375. If he didn't no it he had a sweat pair that anyone could take anywhere any time for anything. I would prefer my 500 for elephant but if it wasn't available I would happily use the 375 even for elephant.

8. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    I dont think we have heard from Bart for some time, unless I missed him somewhere.