Kimber seems unreasonable!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.42.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 6.42.45 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
I sent a 1911 back to them to look at a feeding issue. They refused to send the pistol back. Then offered me a new one at a discount price through a dealer. No matter what, they wouldn't send it back they claimed the frame and barrel were out of spec. They said I got my use out of it, Needless to say I'm not a fan. 4k or so rounds of 45 ACP on an aluminum frame is all they say I will get. Guess I didn't t think of that nor do I think a gun is a short term proposition.
Did they actually say 4k was the expected life of an aluminum frame handgun ?

One of the nicest non kicking rounds ever made is the 6.5x50 which is commonly known as the 6.5 Jap.

It fits lovely in a short action and with people on the new 6.5 caliber is a killer and hyper accurate craze itll fit right in.

But should that not blow your skirt up do not forget the much forgotten 250- 3000 which when she gets older can be Ackley Improved . I have one in a small ring mexican Mauser with a stock and barrel that weighs about as much as a wet sneaker.

You got time, and look "Gramps" let's be honest with one another....if that sweety granddaughter of yours smiled because of a rifle you bought her you would wall through fire to see it again. Ain't I right you old softy????

You're a good man.......I like you...

One of the nicest non kicking rounds ever made is the 6.5x50 which is commonly known as the 6.5 Jap.

It fits lovely in a short action and with people on the new 6.5 caliber is a killer and hyper accurate craze itll fit right in.

But should that not blow your skirt up do not forget the much forgotten 250- 3000 which when she gets older can be Ackley Improved . I have one in a small ring mexican Mauser with a stock and barrel that weighs about as much as a wet sneaker.

You got time, and look "Gramps" let's be honest with one another....if that sweety granddaughter of yours smiled because of a rifle you bought her you would wall through fire to see it again. Ain't I right you old softy????

You're a good man.......I like you...
250-3000

I was hoping scoped to be 6 1/2-6 3/4 lbs. she’s 5’ and 85 lbs dressed. She’s strong for her age and size, but as you know carrying a gun for hours can get very tiring.
I don’t want to discourage her just because a gun is heavy. She really wants to go hunt Africa. Being my only child, or grand child the least bit interested in hunting, I want it to be as comfortable as possible.
My very strong 200 lb grandsons aren’t the least bit interested.

Ridgewalker, a nifty little vintage rifle to considder is the Brno Mod 21H. With 20&3/4” factory barrel they tilt the scales at exactly 6,5Lbs. The fore-end is slim for a small hand and you have a CRF small ring Mauser type action. What ever weight you remove by shortening the stock would be more or less the weight of a light 3-9x36 Z3 on light Tally or mounts. You have a choice in calibre from 6,5x57 and 7x57 for her. Whip the double set trigger out and replace with a Timney, and the new trigger is now further back towards the open pistol grip to accommodate her small hand, and you save another few ounces.

I bought a Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor a little over a year ago. Put Talley Light Weight aluminum rings on and a Leupold Vari-x 2 3x9 I had laying around. Loaded up some rounds and headed to the range. Didn’t group worth a darn. So I went through a couple more loading sessions with different bullets. Same result. I then changed the scope out. Same results. Changed to another scope and loaded up different bullets and changed powders. Same results. I then bought some factory ammo after consulting with HORNADY. Same poor groupings. Then I sent the rifle back to Kimber with copies of all my test targets. 9 different bullets and 3 different powders resulting in 2 to 4” Moa at 100 yards. They sent the rifle back stating it was in there specs. I have again been testing the rifle and have got one group of 1 1/2 Moa once. The rest of my groups are poor. I am trying one more session this week with very heavy for caliber bullets . ( 1:8 barrel twist) If I can’t get it to group it’s gone. In closing I must mention I bought this rifle because of my Kimber Caprivi 375 It shoots 1/2 Moa day in and out.
It may be I got a lemon with the Hunter?

Ridge walker there is the Ruger American available in stainless in compact short barrel version that weighs 6 pounds. Check it out!

When my boys were younger (11 &12) I got them a Ruger Compact in .308 and had the stock shortened. Sweet little gun with a 16'' barrel and accurate. They killed a ton of plains game with it.

I was thinking of a Kimber Caprivi and I would alter the stock.
I cannot see how that would void the warranty on the action etc.

The Sako 85 Carbonlight is supposed to weigh in at 5 lbs for a .260, .7-08, or .308. I don't know if they chamber it in Creedmore or how easy it would be to shorten one of those stocks? Their Finnlight starts at 6 and 3/8 lb and is cheaper. This tread got me thinking so for the hell of it I weighed my Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 in 6.5x54. Weighs 5 lb 12 oz no scope or mounts. My Remington Model 7 (old model) with wood stock in .243 with 2.5-10 Nikon weighed on at 6 lb 14 oz if my scale is on the money.

@Ridgewalker Why a 3-9x? Most kids that age (with proper training and practice) can shoot bunnies out to 60 metres with a fully multi-coated 4x scope. A Weaver Classic 4x (38mm) is ample for her needs on a centrefire hunting rifle. The Weaver Rimfire Classic 4x (28mm) is even lighter and also stronger.
Yes, they should have a good scope BUT they generally do not need the same optics as someone in their mid-50s (me) or you (whatever your age might be!

The Sako 85 Carbonlight is supposed to weigh in at 5 lbs for a .260, .7-08, or .308. I don't know if they chamber it in Creedmore or how easy it would be to shorten one of those stocks? Their Finnlight starts at 6 and 3/8 lb and is cheaper. This tread got me thinking so for the hell of it I weighed my Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 in 6.5x54. Weighs 5 lb 12 oz no scope or mounts. My Remington Model 7 (old model) with wood stock in .243 with 2.5-10 Nikon weighed on at 6 lb 14 oz if my scale is on the money.
Thanks for the weights! Now you made me need to start thinking and looking at mine! A nice little Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 would make a fine young lady’s rifle! I’ll have to look around.

Yes, they should have a good scope BUT they generally do not need the same optics as someone in their mid-50s (me) or you (whatever your age might be!
You make a good point. But I’ll have you know I’m a very “young” 71 year old with 2 great grand kids!:ROFLMAO:;)

Thanks for the weights! Now you made me need to start thinking and looking at mine! A nice little Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 would make a fine young lady’s rifle! I’ll have to look around.
It would but, you will probably have to shorten the length of pull and scope mounting can be a pain.
I dont think with glass on it you will be able to keep it under 7 pounds. Those rifles do have a pedigree and a grandfathers love for his granddaughter is an acceptable reason to shorten a factory stock. Good luck in your search Ridgewalker!

Firearm manufacturers are terrified of product liability suits. They have designs which go through all sorts of product testing and internal certifications to get an approved production design - some more diligently than others. Sounds like Kimber won't release a new "warranted" production rifle if it won't meet those approved specs. I'd blame our litigious culture rather than Kimber.

Seems to me like the package is far more important than the specific cartridge. No springbuck in South Africa would notice the difference between a 6.5x55, 6.5x54, 6.5x57, .250 Savage, or the 6.5 Creedmoor. For the sake of her long term sanity, I would get her something for which ammunition is readily available. She may take up hunting, but I doubt if she takes up reloading (6.5 Jap?!? Seriously? ;)) That probably cuts out most of the suggestions above.

Unless you are going to try and go a true custom route, already a time-line challenge for a hunt in 2020, I would not worry about the warranty and have either Kimber or a local gunsmith reduce the LOP. The other option would be the Ruger "All American" in 6.5 CM. I won one in a raffle last year. I personally hate the rifle (gave it to my son) - I am a rust blue and walnut guy and this thing looks like it was designed by accountants. However, it would seem to be exactly what a young petit hunter could use. It weighs next to nothing, can use aluminum rings on the rail, has a peculiar but useful trigger, and this particular one shoots.

Depending on the size of the animal and the probable distance could the use of a "Red Dot" instead of a scope be considered? Over Labor Day weekend my 8 year old grandson tried out the "grandkid's" Swede for size, it is still a little large for him. However just for giggles I had him try a Ruger 44 Carbine with a dot on it. He immediately preferred the Ruger and dot over the scoped Swede. Sometime back Rookhawk went through similar struggles looking for a rifle for his then 7 year old daughter. Go back in the AH archives and see what he did. Or better yet just send him a PM.

I know of a Daniel Fraser .250-3000 built on a Kurtz action. 6 pounds on the dot. I’ll try to find photos.

Or how about a commissioning Westley Richards to build a small droplock in .250-3000. She’ll be the only girl in her class with one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.