Kimber seems unreasonable!

It is my favorite caliber. I use for deer , think its the best designed round

It's kind of a shame that the 250-3000 doesn't have a better following these days as it really performs much better than it looks and when Ackley Improved it has the highest percentage of gain than any other improved round.

Ridgewalker, the thread Rookhawk started was titled "Need some solid advice from experienced hunted dads." The initial posting was 11/16/2016. I didn't reread the entire thread bus as I recall it contains a lot of pertinent information.

Ridgewalker, the thread Rookhawk started was titled "Need some solid advice from experienced hunted dads." The initial posting was 11/16/2016. I didn't reread the entire thread bus as I recall it contains a lot of pertinent information.
Thanks Art! I’ll check it out!

Excellent info Shootist43! Thanks so much for finding it for me. After reading through it and rereading some, I have decided my plan of action. I’ll start by taking my walking Varmint gun, KM in 243 to the gunsmith and having the stock shortened to fit her. If that works out well and she gets comfortable shooting it, I’ll take the next step up to either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 308 Win and switch the stocks out.
Who knows by then she may be 6’ tall and 180 lbs and carry me all day:eek:. Not likely with a 5’3” mom at maybe 95-100lbs. But I can dream!

.243 is a good choice. My buddy's grandson took one this year and killed impala, blesbok, springbok and a few night animals.
I am dead set against putting anything bigger than 6mm in the hands of a youngster. One whack with a .308 or other rifle with a mild to heavy recoil and it could be game over. And yes, I know what everyone says " it doesn't bother him/her". BULLSHIT! Of course not. They won't tell you for fear of being perceived as a wimp and the desire to please others. Saw it too many times and the kid is on his way to developing bad shooting habits. Think I'm kidding? Hand them an unloaded rifle but don't let them know it and watch the flinch.
Other cartridges posted are good but one should consider the availability of ammo in Africa. It wouldn't be the same trip if the youngster had to use an unfamiliar firearm.

Hogpatrol,

Good post and you are correct about recoil.

In many ways boxing and big bore shooting are kind of the same in that by the time you get enough experience to be really good you're half beat to death.

Excellent info Shootist43! Thanks so much for finding it for me. After reading through it and rereading some, I have decided my plan of action. I’ll start by taking my walking Varmint gun, KM in 243 to the gunsmith and having the stock shortened to fit her. If that works out well and she gets comfortable shooting it, I’ll take the next step up to either a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 308 Win and switch the stocks out.
Who knows by then she may be 6’ tall and 180 lbs and carry me all day:eek:. Not likely with a 5’3” mom at maybe 95-100lbs. But I can dream!
Don't forget the 7mm08

I should add i grew up with a rem 700 .270 as a kid.

For my sisters who are from his second marriage and a lot younger the old boy got them a tikka t3 in 243, one of my sisters this year shot a corker of a fallow buck with it, my youngest sister also took a red stag with it.

Again though I would throw mine behind a 7mm08, performs like a 308 and kicks like a 243. What more could you want!

Sisters buck attached, note the dagger sticking out of the middle of the palm!

20180912_090057.jpeg

Since she's only 14, before investing in a high dollar rifle, why not go with a Savage or Weatherby Camilla? Not CRF but are more suited to her stature. Also, if she loses interest in hunting (God... Heaven forbid!) you don't have a lot of money wrapped up. Also, when she graduates from college a really nice rifle along with safari number two would make a great graduation gift.
As far as Kimber: I'm done with them. I purchased a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts back in 2012. I've had trouble getting accuracy out of it. At the SCI convention I approached them and acknowledged that this purchase predates their "minute of angle" guarantee, but inquired if I could send it in for them to look at. Their response was basicly, you can but it's on you. I also called Kimber and got a similar response. I have come up with a couple of loads that give OK accuracy but their indifference ticked me off.

meigsbucks, I certainly don’t blame you. I guess I got a good one in my 243 or just found the right loads. I may regret cutting the stock down, but she is a wonderful kid!

Last edited:
I’m looking for a light weight synthetic stainless steel rifle in 6.5 Creedmore for my granddaughter’s 2020 Africa hunt. She will be 14 then and I’m sure the stock will need to be shortened. I called Kimber C.S. To find out if their Montana or Hunter model stocks could be shortened. The answer was an unreasonable, to me, answer that it would void their warranty! Any of their guns! If warranty service was needed, they would charge you for a new stock first, mount it, then test it even if it were a bolt malfunction, broken firing pin or what ever the issue!
Am I being too critical, or does this sound unreasonable?

I just wanted a control round feed Model 70 type action in a light weight (she is 85 lbs) rifle.

I have a 6.5 Montana. The stock is not overly large. She could probably handle it without cutting the stock down.

Since she's only 14, before investing in a high dollar rifle, why not go with a Savage or Weatherby Camilla? Not CRF but are more suited to her stature. Also, if she loses interest in hunting (God... Heaven forbid!) you don't have a lot of money wrapped up. Also, when she graduates from college a really nice rifle along with safari number two would make a great graduation gift.
As far as Kimber: I'm done with them. I purchased a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts back in 2012. I've had trouble getting accuracy out of it. At the SCI convention I approached them and acknowledged that this purchase predates their "minute of angle" guarantee, but inquired if I could send it in for them to look at. Their response was basicly, you can but it's on you. I also called Kimber and got a similar response. I have come up with a couple of loads that give OK accuracy but their indifference ticked me off.

The late manufacture Savages are shooting 1/2 moa with factory ammo at one quarter to one fifth the price of a K or C rifle.

The late manufacture Savages are shooting 1/2 moa with factory ammo at one quarter to one fifth the price of a K or C rifle.

That is the gods honest truth and amazing how little they cost.

Accuracy isn't a secret keep all your machinery in good working order and change the cutters often and hire people who are willing to do things right.

The weight of the gun is one of my primary considerations. She will be walking and stalking with a daypack here in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming. I need a light rifle for the kind of hunting I do. I hunt dark timber for elk climbing over lots of deadfall from 8,500 feet to near the top.
The 243 KM has worked well for a number of antelope, deer and many coyotes. Easy to carry along with a daypack full of survival gear, extra clothing, e-caller, water, food, etc. I don’t go into the mountains unprepared. Conditions can change within a few minutes.
That is my reasoning for a light rifle. A little paranoid, but after 45 years hunting in the mountains and surviving numerous mistakes, preparedness is critical.
JMO, but I will definitely check out the Lady Savage and the Vanguard Camilla. They do sound very interesting. Also thinking a bit more on it, she needs to “like” what ever rifle she is carrying, or she won’t have faith in it to perform the important shot. I’ll make sure she handles each to get a “buy in”.

Thanks guys! All excellent suggestions and information. There is such a wealth of great info here!

Ridgewalker, if you are concerned at all about getting "your" stock cut down, why not remove it and purchase a Boyd replacement stock for about $100 and have the gunsmith cut it down. Rookhawk in one of his posts included an article about how to determine the proper / correct length of pull. If I recall correctly his gunsmith provided "spacers" which could be added as the young shooter grows. IMHO that was / is a good idea. BTW did you read Rookhawk's recent posting where his now 9 year old daughter took a black bear with her 243? In the end your granddaughter having a rifle that she is comfortable with and doesn't "beat her to death" is paramount to the probability of future hunts with grandpa. How does she do with a 22 and pop cans?

Ridgewalker, if you are concerned at all about getting "your" stock cut down, why not remove it and purchase a Boyd replacement stock for about $100 and have the gunsmith cut it down. Rookhawk in one of his posts included an article about how to determine the proper / correct length of pull. If I recall correctly his gunsmith provided "spacers" which could be added as the young shooter grows. IMHO that was / is a good idea. BTW did you read Rookhawk's recent posting where his now 9 year old daughter took a black bear with her 243? In the end your granddaughter having a rifle that she is comfortable with and doesn't "beat her to death" is paramount to the probability of future hunts with grandpa. How does she do with a 22 and pop cans?
Art, I did read Rookhawk’s report on his daughter shooting the bear. Great report and shooting!
That’s an excelllent idea on the Boyd’s stock. I need to call them and find out about it.
Thanks for following and all your help. It seems much harder getting the “right” gun for her than for myself. A gun to me is just a tool to get the primary job done correctly. It’s a lot more to her.

If weight is your primary concern why not try a single shot rifle, eliminating the action and the extra ammo in the magazine save all kinds of weight and produces a much shorter and handier rifle. I can highly recommend the T/C Encore, its light, very safe because of the hammer and comes in every caliber under the sun. To make the rifle stand out as your granddaughter’s rifle the stock can be had with pink inlays. As she grow and becomes more recoil tolerant additional barrels can be purchased for $275 - $325 dollars.

I also love the Ruger #1, but depending on which one you like it may be a bit heavy for your 6.5 pound weight limit. I think @TOBY458 has one in 7x57 for sale.

Another option although more expensive would be the Merkel K3 in 7mm-08. At 5-1/2 pounds it feel almost weightless in your hands. If you’re looking for a light weight, accurate Mountain Rifle Merkel K3 is the gun you you’re looking for.

Have you picked an outfitter for your 2020 hunt? I’ve been thinking that 2020 would be a good year for a father/son/grandfather safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber