Kimber 8400 Caprivi

Stocky, is this the gun you ended up taking to Zim? I saw your other post on performance of the TSX bullets and was curious whether it was through the Kimber. I just picked up a slightly used Caprivi in 375 H & H, looking ahead to a buff hunt in 2015. It is an absolutely beautiful gun. I have been playing around with a Whitworth in 458 wm, but I have had problems with it properly ejecting empty rounds. Can't have that on a follow-up on an angry buff! Anyway, I came accross the Kimber and decided I might just go with the 375 and use it for buff as well as some plains animals still on my list. It is a long time to 2015, but that is my current thinking. I am going to send some lead down the tube this weekend to see how it shoots.

Stocky, is this the gun you ended up taking to Zim? I saw your other post on performance of the TSX bullets and was curious whether it was through the Kimber. I just picked up a slightly used Caprivi in 375 H & H, looking ahead to a buff hunt in 2015. It is an absolutely beautiful gun. I have been playing around with a Whitworth in 458 wm, but I have had problems with it properly ejecting empty rounds. Can't have that on a follow-up on an angry buff! Anyway, I came accross the Kimber and decided I might just go with the 375 and use it for buff as well as some plains animals still on my list. It is a long time to 2015, but that is my current thinking. I am going to send some lead down the tube this weekend to see how it shoots.

I have not hunted with it as of yet, but have shot several loads thru it. It shoots great and functions extremely well, I'd not hesitate to use it.

When I mentioned that I might bring the Caprivi to my PH, Walla Albertse, he told me if I got off the plane without my tried-and-true .375 M70 "Dragonslayer" I'd either have to fly home and get it while he waited or be prepared to walk to the Swartruggens Camp. It was not that he didn't like the Kimber, he's had a client with one before and it worked great, but he's guided me into literally two-dozen trophies with the 70 from steenbok to eland, giraffe and buffalo, so he's kinda' biased. Even when I pull out a perfectly fine "second" rifle from the case he kind of sneers at it and says I can use it if we get a chance but, "is the Dragonslayer is in the truck, too?"

You know how those African PH's can get ... they just like to avoid chasing wounded animals I guess, even if it means their client has to use the same old "boring" rifle over and over again.

I've been thinking about a new African .375 H&H for buffalo & lion hunting, so I walk into my local Gander Mountain last weekend and decide to ask if they have any .375's on the rack. He hunts around for a couple minutes, not thinking they do, when the fellow finds this baby, a new Kimber Caprivi. Being a big fan of Kimber .45 Autos I's more than interested.

I have to say it was love at first sight, closing my eyes and shouldering the weapon put the front directly in the V notch, supposedly regulated at 50 yards, the other two leafs are folders left in the green. Points like a shotgun. You know, XX walnut, raised European cheekrest, hand-cut wrapped checkering, triple folding leaf rear and hooded front, barrel band, 4 in-the-box, all the requisites on a DG rifle. $2600

Has anyone checked these new Kimbers out? What do you guys think?

I took this one home.

View attachment 21478View attachment 21479View attachment 21480View attachment 21481View attachment 21482View attachment 21483
I also own a Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott. Fit and finish is great. However, at 45 yards it shot about 2 feet low. Elevation is adjustable with the front sight. I run the sight all the way down as far as it would go and it still shot 4 to 6 inches low. It also was having problems ejecting. I sent it back to Kimber and supposedly it got a new barrel, extractor and ejector. When I got it back after six weeks they even sent me target where it was test fired at the factory at 50 yards and the group measured .965 inches. But I decided to run some loaded rounds through it without firing and it started to not eject rounds then it finally quit ejecting at all. Upon inspection of the ejector it seems to be sticking. It can be flipped up with the tip of the finger but not by itself. I have just emailed Kimber some pictures of the problem to see what they want to do. I suggest you run your Kimber through its paces and make sure you don't have any problems and I advise any Caprivi owner to do the same. I paid 2600.00$ for my rifle also and it should perform better than the average 3006 bolt action.

I’m chiming in a little (okay a lot late) on this one but would be interested in your view on the rifle now. Have you taken it out of the stock? Does Kimber use manufacturing shortcuts you wouldn’t expect on a rifle in this price range? The feed lips...are they part of the receiver or stamped out of the sheet metal magazine box like Winchester does? These are serious questions as I’ve never seen a review except ones saying it points well and looks great. I’ve never had the chance to see one for myself and am always looking for a quality rifle.

The Kimber Caprivi's are beautiful rifles. I have read some mixed reviews online in terms of durability and accuracy. I look forward to hearing more from the OP as he gets more trigger and field time with his .375.

Also, if anyone is looking for one, my LGS has a very nice used one in .375 that has been sitting on the shelf for a while, and I suspect they are willing to deal. I am all set on a .375 already.

I have a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H and it a wonderful gun. It is not only beautiful but also very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I bought mine last year to take on my first safari, i decided on this gun after shooting my dad's and between the two rifles we have taken 18 animals on 2 safari's. I my opinion they are the finest mass produced rifles on the market. I have never shot a Dakota but have handled one and my Caprivi shoulders better in my opinion. I would say this is the finest rifle I had ever shot, that was until I shot a Heym. That being said these two rifles are in two different classes. The Kimber is a wonderful rifle, the Heym is an unbelievable rifle.

The Kimber Caprivi's are beautiful rifles. I have read some mixed reviews online in terms of durability and accuracy. I look forward to hearing more from the OP as he gets more trigger and field time with his .375.

Also, if anyone is looking for one, my LGS has a very nice used one in .375 that has been sitting on the shelf for a while, and I suspect they are willing to deal. I am all set on a .375 already.
Mind sending me the info on the caprivi at your LGS and their contact info, I’m in the market for one and would like to contact them, thanks

I’m chiming in a little (okay a lot late) on this one but would be interested in your view on the rifle now. Have you taken it out of the stock? Does Kimber use manufacturing shortcuts you wouldn’t expect on a rifle in this price range? The feed lips...are they part of the receiver or stamped out of the sheet metal magazine box like Winchester does? These are serious questions as I’ve never seen a review except ones saying it points well and looks great. I’ve never had the chance to see one for myself and am always looking for a quality rifle.

Me too!

Mind sending me the info on the caprivi at your LGS and their contact info, I’m in the market for one and would like to contact them, thanks

@Twigmorgan you might also contact @cpr0312 who has a Kimber in 375 H&H for sale.

I had a Caprivi in 375 once. It was a beautiful rifle. The main complaint I had was that it would only feed reliably with 3 in the magazine. If you loaded 4, it would not feed the top shell very smoothly at all. This could've been an isolated incident.
Also, I thought it was a bit heavy for a 375. (Around 10lbs with scope and mounts installed.)
That said, I sold it, and later bought a Kimber Talkeetna 375. It feeds perfectly with 4 in the magazine, and only weighs 8.5lbs with a Leupold scope and mounts installed. I took this rifle to Africa in July 2018, and killed 7 PG animals with it. Kimber makes an excellent rifle.

The Kimber has a stamped magazine box like the Winchester. However, the action is glass bedded flawlessly and the action fits the stock perfectly. I have a Kimber and a Winchester 70 Safari Express, and the feed rails are part of the action on both of them. Not sure I've ever seen a Win 70 built otherwise.

I had a Caprivi in 375 once. It was a beautiful rifle. The main complaint I had was that it would only feed reliably with 3 in the magazine. If you loaded 4, it would not feed the top shell very smoothly at all. This could've been an isolated incident.
Also, I thought it was a bit heavy for a 375. (Around 10lbs with scope and mounts installed.)
That said, I sold it, and later bought a Kimber Talkeetna 375. It feeds perfectly with 4 in the magazine, and only weighs 8.5lbs with a Leupold scope and mounts installed. I took this rifle to Africa in July 2018, and killed 7 PG animals with it. Kimber makes an excellent rifle.
@TOBY458 thanks for your insights, I like the Talkeetna as well and am considering it. I have always been a wood and blued steel kind of guy but have been known to stray from time to time. I had the chance to shoot a Caprivi about 3 years ago and fell in love with the rifle, so I might end up with it in 458 Lott since it’s the heavier rifle of the two and lean towards a Talkeetna in 375H&H. Just depends on what I can find for sale.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.57.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.57.59 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 203
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.58.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.58.07 PM.png
    714.4 KB · Views: 210
Kimber Caprivi for $3150.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784451744
Another one for $2610.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775291055

Whew...that took almost 30 seconds.
We are enablers around here, always willing to help spend someone's money.
I'm sure there are others willing to help as well.
Good luck with it.
@BeeMaa ahh yes! I have drooled over both of those on GB but I’ve gotta get an a 375 first! I’ve already bid on some older Win pre64 big bores too. Can’t ever have too many boomsticks

As I'm sure you are aware, there are two Kimber Talkeenta's in 375H&H for sale on GB, along with a Caprivi.
No shortage of ways to blow your cash out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg