Just a dent

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,574
Reaction score
9,982
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
20181008_181056.jpg


A friend of my son's was going to bring his father's beautiful steyr-mannlicher moose hunting. When he tried it at the range with factory ammo this it what happened and it failed to fire. His father says that can happen occasionally. Any ideas what the issue could be? I think it should be checked before taking to the field.
 
Firing pin spring would be my first concern.
 
Does the rifle do this with any other brand of ammo? If the answer is yes, I would have the rifle's headspace checked. If no, I would compare the base to shoulder length with other brands. It may be the ammo.
 
My first check would be an accumulation of old oil build up inside of the bolt. Next would be the firing pin spring.
I just repaired a rifle that wouldn’t fire for a guy that had some almost molasses looking oil build up inside the bolt. Years of oil building up while stored had rendered the firing pin useless!
 
His father, south African fellow, has hunted with it a lot. He says it happens "seldom"..... it fires 4 times and hit lightly once (the first time).

It has a beautiful Zeiss "made in West Germany" on it. It has been sitting unfired for about a decade. The scope was still very close! Jealous? You betcha!
 
I was wondering about the bolt. I am unfamiliar with the function- you can only apply the safety with the bolt up. You cannot close it when safe. When you take it off safe you then have to close the bolt properly. Is that typical for this maker? Or could that show a problem?
 
If the rifle was put away with the spring in the cocked position it may have taken a set. If so a new spring will fix his problem. Just for good measure I'd clean up everything on the bolt with a Quick Scrub or other spray solvent.
 
As long as it is apart throw a new spring in it! Should be around 25 bucks or so. That first shot that doesn’t discharge could be the bull of a lifetime!
 
Agree with @Bullthrower338 that first clean the bolt, firing pin, spring, etc. I've taken a spray can of brake cleaner (about $3 at an autoparts store) and sprayed everything real good. Then a little light oil and put it back in the rifle and dry fire it a few times.

I bought a left handed, used Ruger in 300 WM for my son-in-law and had this same problem, but the firing pin left a more substantial dent in the primer. I had a GS put a heavier spring and it seem to cure the problem.
 
Sitting for a decade? New ball game and most likely what others have posted, weak firing pin spring or gunked up firing pin. Once those causes have been eliminated, headspace would be next on the list.
 
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all the advice! He is very keen to hunt with his father's rifle. I think that is very cool. So, I suggested he get mighty quick with that bolt just in case!
 
“Can happen occasionally”. With a Dangerous game cartridge. That would be fun.

His father hunted Cape Buffalo with it. Sounds like typical "devil may care" moxie I have learned to respect in those South Africans!
 
I have a CZ-527 Carbine in 7.62x39 which gave light firing pin strikes. I gave CZ a call and they sent a heavier striker spring and for the last 12 years, haven't had a misfire. Yours also will probably be a simple fix.
 
That happened to me with my old Springfield 1903 on last August’s bear hunt. All I heard was a sickening “click.” Luckily the bear came back and the next round fired perfectly.

Springfields have an odd two-piece firing pin that can cause issues, but I suspect in your case what others have said about the spring and/or buildup is the most likely cause.
 
My MRC was occasionally doing this. It first happened on handloads, so I thought maybe I wasn’t seating the primers well enough or wasn’t cleaning the primer pockets well enough. So I concentrated on that. Then it happened occasionally on cheap PPU ammo.
Then my thoughts were trash was left in the firing pin/spring. I soaked it really well in Kroil. Wiped it off well. Problem hasn’t reoccurred after maybe 1,000 rounds.
JMExperience.
Easy thing to try. Best of luck figuring it out.
P.S. military ammo has harder primer cups in my experience (helps prevent slam firing), so it needs a heavier spring.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,200
Members
169,508
Latest member
rubberwebshop
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top