Juneteenth??

You classify protesters as criminals? Enough said.

You cannot just throw that little bit about groundhogs in at the bottom without mentioning what you are using. 220 Swift I bet.

17HMR and .17 Fireball. One's good to 200 the other out to 450-500.

What justification is there for a Confederate Memorial Day? Does it make sense to celebrate a failed insurrection?
in the south we don"t call it a failed insurrection we call it the war of northern aggression. knowing history is very important. The civil war was not about slavery.

in the south we don"t call it a failed insurrection we call it the war of northern aggression. knowing history is very important. The civil war was not about slavery.

Born and raised in the south. Live where the first shot was fired. Very familiar with why the Civil War was fought. States rights to keep slavery. Potato, potahto.

Born and raised in the south. Live where the first shot was fired. Very familiar with why the Civil War was fought. States rights to keep slavery. Potato, potahto.

If slavery was the only issue and the north deemed it evil then why did the emancipation proclamation only apply to the succeeded states?
and why did it come so late in the war?

Eritrea and Nigeria both have holidays between June 12th and June 20th. They each have their "Junteenth" I guess. There is no white privilege, and no white policemen. I have not visited either, but I expect to find a paradise on Earth. Justice and peace, free from all oppression. ........maybe................FWB

Few years back I had to do a formal essay on the Civil War. Being one that looks for facts and not opinions passed off as facts, I begun researching by reading as many books supported by copies of Union and Confederate Soldiers' written letters to their families back home.
I was amazed that a high majority of the Union troops whose letters I read through made it abundantly clear they didn't give a thought to slavery and going further many agreed that IF they were to find out the war was being fought to abolish slavery that they would be heading home in short order.
Was glad I did the research as I learned a lot on the "why" troops on both sides joined.

Eritrea and Nigeria both have holidays between June 12th and June 20th. They each have their "Junteenth" I guess. There is no white privilege, and no white policemen. I have not visited either, but I expect to find a paradise on Earth. Justice and peace, free from all oppression. ........maybe................FWB
Unless you are Christian

@kevin masters , you must have missed it but we had a full on debate and re-enactment of the Civil War here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/is-civil-war-possible-in-america.53475/

For those that use the term, "War of Northern Aggression," a so CNN-like sounding name, they probably are okay with the term "peaceful protests" of today. While the North did win the war, preserved the Union and abolish slavery, this apparently didn't end the matter. So some 150 years later, the US is still dealing with these issues.

@flatwater bill : I lived in Lagos for 6 years and I think what you described is spot on! :whistle:

I will say that Nigerians are known as the happiest people in the world.

@flatwater bill : I lived in Lagos for 6 years and I think what you described is spot on! :whistle:

I will say that Nigerians are known as the happiest people in the world.
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/...ristians-killed-in-2020-new-report-says-65880

More than 600 Nigerian Christians killed in 2020, new report says
CNA Staff, May 18, 2020 / 02:00 pm MT (CNA).- Christians in Nigeria faced escalating persecution and a mounting death toll in the first four months of 2020, a new report has said.

In a report issued on 15 May, the International Society for Civil Liberties and the Rule of Law (Intersociety) said that 620 Nigerian Christians have been killed since the beginning of the year, and mapped a campaign of destruction and arson carried out against churches in the African nation.

The society, a non-profit founded in 2008 in Nigeria, works to promote civil liberties, the rule of law, criminal justice reform, and good governance. Its report said that “Nigeria’s main Islamic Jihadists: Militant Fulani Herdsmen and Boko Haram/ISWAP have intensified their anti-Christian violence in the old Middle Belt and Northeast regions.”

“The atrocities against Christians have gone unchecked,” the report said, “with the country’s security forces and concerned political actors looking the other way or colluding with the Jihadists.”

Intersociety said that, despite making up nearly half of the country’s population, some 32,000 Christians have been killed in Islamist attacks since 2009.

Christians in Nigeria have been the victims of an escalating series of attacks, including kidnappings for ransom, since the beginning of the year.

In January this year, four seminarians were abducted by gunman from Good Shepherd Seminary. Ten days after the abduction, one of the four seminarians was found on the side of a road, alive but seriously injured. On Jan. 31, an official at the seminary announced that another two seminarians had been released, but that the fourth, Michael Nnadi remained missing and was presumed still in captivity.

It was subsequently announced that Nnadi had been killed.

In an interview from prison earlier this month, the leader of the gang which abducted Nnadi took credit for his killing, telling local media that the 18-year-old seminarian “continued preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ,” and “told [his killer] to his face to change his evil ways or perish.”

In March, Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama of Abuja, Nigeria, called on President Muhammadu Buhari to address the violence and kidnappings in a homily during Mass with the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria.

“We need to have access to our leaders; president, vice president. We need to work together to eradicate poverty, killings, bad governance and all sorts of challenges facing us as a nation,” Kaigama said.

In an Ash Wednesday letter to Nigerian Catholics, Archbishop Augustine Obiora Akubeze of Benin City called for Catholics to wear black in solidarity with victims and pray, in response to “repeated” executions of Christians by Boko Haram and “incessant” kidnappings “linked to the same groups.”

Other Christian villages have been attacked, farms set ablaze, vehicles carrying Christians attacked, men and women have been killed and kidnapped, and women have been taken as sex slaves and tortured—a “pattern,” he said, of targeting Christians.

On Feb. 27, U.S Ambassador at Large for Religious Freedom Sam Brownback told CNA that the situation in Nigeria was deteriorating.

“There's a lot of people getting killed in Nigeria, and we're afraid it is going to spread a great deal in that region,” he told CNA. “It is one that's really popped up on my radar screens -- in the last couple of years, but particularly this past year.”

“I think we’ve got to prod the [Nigerian President Muhammadu] Buhari government more. They can do more,” he said. “They’re not bringing these people to justice that are killing religious adherents. They don’t seem to have the sense of urgency to act.”

Tags: Persecuted Christians, Nigeria

@kevin masters , you must have missed it but we had a full on debate and re-enactment of the Civil War here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/is-civil-war-possible-in-america.53475/

For those that use the term, "War of Northern Aggression," a so CNN-like sounding name, they probably are okay with the term "peaceful protests" of today. While the North did win the war, preserved the Union and abolish slavery, this apparently didn't end the matter. So some 150 years later, the US is still dealing with these issues.

No disrespect meant at all but I don't understand what you were trying to convey. I was simply saying their were other reasons for the civil war other than slavery.
Lincoln made slavery the issue as a political tactic. I in no way condone slavery and am glad it was abolished. The issues that face us today are cultural differences.
not systemic racism! just my opinion.

A perfect example. I think that government works best FOR THE PEOPLE when we have the full spectrum of political ideologies represented in Congress. If we do not hear all voices and learn to compromise, the government will only end up ever serving a small segment of the population.

Which is another great argument for keeping the Electoral College. The entire country could be run by folks elected from 2% of the land mass.

No disrespect meant at all but I don't understand what you were trying to convey. I was simply saying their were other reasons for the civil war other than slavery.
Lincoln made slavery the issue as a political tactic. I in no way condone slavery and am glad it was abolished. The issues that face us today are cultural differences.
not systemic racism! just my opinion.

@kevin masters in Post #143 you stated, "The civil war was not about slavery" and I disagreed. Check out the link @Saul provided in Post #144, it is an excellent and concise explanation.

When someone refers to the US Civil War as "The War of Northern Agression", it is neither funny or accurate (the South fired the first shot and started the war) and in my opinion makes light of the 600,000+ that gave their life in that war.

As far as Mr Lincoln's political tactics, I put a number of quotes and sources in this post:

Many, many historians have studied the US Civil War and even they can't agree to the main cause. State's rights, slavery, preserving the Union are high on the list and are inter-related.

@MS Hitman, I agree with you completely that the buildup to war took much longer than a month (BTW, I didn't say that it did take a month, I said South Carolina seceeded one month after Lincoln was elected). As @Red Leg mentioned, the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 was a triggering event. You can go back to 1952 to the publishing of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" or further back to 1820 to the Missouri Compromise. It didn't help things that two of our worst presidents, Pierce and Buchanan were in office during the lead up to war. Better and bolder leadership could have helped to overt war.

One thing I completely disagree with you on is Lincoln's view on slavery. Read Lincoln's "House Divided Speech" of 1858. (http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/house.htm) Read the Lincoln-Douglas debates. First and foremost, Lincoln wanted to preserve the Union and avoid war. Lincoln was an astute politcian and knew how and when to pick his battles. Lincoln, while not supporting the Corwin Amendment (a failed piece of legislation), he did not oppose it either.

When Lincoln won the election in Nov. 1860, he did take office until Mar 1861. The senior military officer of the day, General Winfield Scott, was concerned that the Democrats would attempt to assassinate Lincoln and stationed a heavy military presence in Washington, DC.

In his 1861 inaugural address (http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln/speeches/1inaug.htm), Lincoln very matter of factually told Southerns that they could keep their slaves (I am summarizing this quite a bit) and yet the south still seceded and attacked or confiscated Federal forts and munitions.

In a famous 1862 letter to Horace Greeley, Lincoln explained the reasons for his action and his long-held feelings on slavery and equality.

“My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.
“I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.”

As far as your comments on Grant, he had been discharged from the army and was a civilian when the war broke out. He viewed the attacks on Federal forts as an insurrection and out of patriotism to the Union, fought to get a commission to return to duty in the Union Army. The rest is.............history.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/...ristians-killed-in-2020-new-report-says-65880

More than 600 Nigerian Christians killed in 2020, new report says
CNA Staff, May 18, 2020 / 02:00 pm MT (CNA).- Christians in Nigeria faced escalating persecution and a mounting death toll in the first four months of 2020, a new report has said.

In a report issued on 15 May, the International Society for Civil Liberties and the Rule of Law (Intersociety) said that 620 Nigerian Christians have been killed since the beginning of the year, and mapped a campaign of destruction and arson carried out against churches in the African nation.

The society, a non-profit founded in 2008 in Nigeria, works to promote civil liberties, the rule of law, criminal justice reform, and good governance. Its report said that “Nigeria’s main Islamic Jihadists: Militant Fulani Herdsmen and Boko Haram/ISWAP have intensified their anti-Christian violence in the old Middle Belt and Northeast regions.”

“The atrocities against Christians have gone unchecked,” the report said, “with the country’s security forces and concerned political actors looking the other way or colluding with the Jihadists.”

Intersociety said that, despite making up nearly half of the country’s population, some 32,000 Christians have been killed in Islamist attacks since 2009.

Christians in Nigeria have been the victims of an escalating series of attacks, including kidnappings for ransom, since the beginning of the year.

In January this year, four seminarians were abducted by gunman from Good Shepherd Seminary. Ten days after the abduction, one of the four seminarians was found on the side of a road, alive but seriously injured. On Jan. 31, an official at the seminary announced that another two seminarians had been released, but that the fourth, Michael Nnadi remained missing and was presumed still in captivity.

It was subsequently announced that Nnadi had been killed.

In an interview from prison earlier this month, the leader of the gang which abducted Nnadi took credit for his killing, telling local media that the 18-year-old seminarian “continued preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ,” and “told [his killer] to his face to change his evil ways or perish.”

In March, Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama of Abuja, Nigeria, called on President Muhammadu Buhari to address the violence and kidnappings in a homily during Mass with the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria.

“We need to have access to our leaders; president, vice president. We need to work together to eradicate poverty, killings, bad governance and all sorts of challenges facing us as a nation,” Kaigama said.

In an Ash Wednesday letter to Nigerian Catholics, Archbishop Augustine Obiora Akubeze of Benin City called for Catholics to wear black in solidarity with victims and pray, in response to “repeated” executions of Christians by Boko Haram and “incessant” kidnappings “linked to the same groups.”

Other Christian villages have been attacked, farms set ablaze, vehicles carrying Christians attacked, men and women have been killed and kidnapped, and women have been taken as sex slaves and tortured—a “pattern,” he said, of targeting Christians.

On Feb. 27, U.S Ambassador at Large for Religious Freedom Sam Brownback told CNA that the situation in Nigeria was deteriorating.

“There's a lot of people getting killed in Nigeria, and we're afraid it is going to spread a great deal in that region,” he told CNA. “It is one that's really popped up on my radar screens -- in the last couple of years, but particularly this past year.”

“I think we’ve got to prod the [Nigerian President Muhammadu] Buhari government more. They can do more,” he said. “They’re not bringing these people to justice that are killing religious adherents. They don’t seem to have the sense of urgency to act.”

Tags: Persecuted Christians, Nigeria

@Von Gruff , Garry, yes the Christian persecution in northern Nigeria is a huge problem. Northern Nigeria is very arid and a very tough place to scratch out a living on a good day. Tribalism in the herdsmen has long been an issue and now the Muslim-Christian conflict is inter-woven with that. Northern Nigeria somewhat reminds me of the wild west days in the 1800s in the US, when various Indian tribes battle over territory.

Juneteenth in Philly, PA marked with lootings of 150 pharmacies. Yeah, gotta celebrate the end of slavery!

@kevin masters in Post #143 you stated, "The civil war was not about slavery" and I disagreed. Check out the link @Saul provided in Post #144, it is an excellent and concise explanation.

When someone refers to the US Civil War as "The War of Northern Agression", it is neither funny or accurate (the South fired the first shot and started the war) and in my opinion makes light of the 600,000+ that gave their life in that war.

As far as Mr Lincoln's political tactics, I put a number of quotes and sources in this post:

Sir I was in no way trying to be funny or make light of the thousands of lives lost on american soil! I am involved with many veteran organizations and have family members who have fought
in every conflict to take place on this continent. We will have to agree to disagree but I take offence at you'r inference that I would make light of this. As for the video, I watched it all and the gentleman
made some good points but most of it I found to be his opinion. I do not appreciate being chastised for something that as you said is inaccurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross