July Safari is almost here! Last min tips please!

Going to the range is helpful. Better is to make sure and practice off shooting sticks. I will suggest having a set at home and dry firing 10-20 times a day or more. My first trip it was awkward using shooting sticks. Especially at first. I have taken my trigger sticks the last 3 times I've gone. Its what I have practiced with and can use pretty well. If you can shoot well it makes your PH happier. Nothing worse than losing an animal and still having to pay for it.
Candy is nice to share around. Some PH's have a sweet tooth. You can always ask. I also ask if their is something I can bring from the states that may be less $$ or more available. At one point Patsy considered asking me to bring over her wedding dress for her marriage to Bluey.
Go through your meds and be sure to take everything you need. Sunscreen and insect repellent are good to have. Bring something for your bowels. Something may not agree and you'd hate to lose part of a day sitting on a toilet. My 2nd trip they served some blood sausage that had something wrong with it. I didn't eat it. All who did were sick the next day including the PH's. One of my hunting buddies lost 1 1/2 days to that..... Bandaids and super glue for cuts and blisters. A needle and if you need it magnification to get out slivers and thorns.
Make sure that your shoes/boots are well broken in. Have good quality socks. I sometimes bring extra socks and change them at lunch. Being able to walk can help your success.
Bring a warm windproof jacket. First thing in the AM can be darn cold on the back of the truck. Layers are important so you can be comfortable at any temp. I take a small daypack with me. I can use it to store clothes in as I take them off. I also bring candy for everyone in it. Bring a good hat. Make sure and take good sunglasses if your eyes have any sensitivity to sun... Light gloves can be helpful on a brisk AM ride in the back of a truck.
Make sure that you have a decent quality of camera and know how to use it. I had one of my settings moved twice on my last trip. Screwed up the photos some so I was not impressed..... Bring spare batteries. Make sure you have enough memory cards. My last trip to africa I hunted w/ 3 different companies and had a different card for each.
Be sure you have a lens cleaning kit. I clean my scope 2 times a day as well as my bino's and camera lens. Doesn't have to be a big kit, just has to have what you need. If you can't see the animal the you can't shoot it. Clean lenses are really helpful.
If you have a spouse or buddy going with you then I'd suggest sending half of your ammo with them. That way if your bag gets lost or delayed a couple of days you can get started with some. If you reload be sure and try every shell in your rifle to make sure that it chambers. Use premium bullets. If your shooting at a trophy eland and your bullet doesn't preform then you pay a trophy fee with no animal to show for it. In the grand scheme of safari costs a couple hundred bucks for the best available bullets is a small price to pay. You'll sleep better if do.
Thats all I can think of right off hand. Best of luck and please write a report on your return. Bruce

Some real good advice in here and a few other posts ...

Not sure what you mean by time at the range - but like the guys say - put some time in on the sticks (if you don't have some, make some) - this will be by far the best time and money you spend on the whole trip.
Try to blow off as many rounds as you can, and like someone said, dry firing is good too

Enjoy and have fun!!!!

Enjoy the Eastern Cape highlands.
Bring a coat and practice on sticks out to 250yds

Pm sent

Last edited:
On the bug dope get yourself some Permethrin and treat your clothing at home before you leave. Walmart has it in the camping section of the store. It will keep the ticks and no-see-ums at bay, that along with a heavy application of a insect spray with DEET will make your trek more enjoyable

https://www.amazon.com/Products-Premium-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B01M4KFZME

On the shooting sticks it will all depends on how your hunting areas are. On my hunt I only had to take two standing shots, the rest were while I was sitting and the PH's sticks were very easy to use. Standing on the other hand took a little getting used to and I was glad that I had practiced at home with a Bog Pod. I found it a little bit funny that when I got over into the field in Africa that all the PH's in our group were packing Bog Pods.

View attachment 187830
This plus Skin so Soft Expedition version worked perfectly for me. I walked around Zambia with a bubble of Tsetse flies and mopane bees orbiting my head about 15 inches away. It was a matter of amazement to the staff and a great comfort to me.

No tsetses at all and no mozzies or ticks thus time of year in the Eastern Cape highlands . There will only be ticks at the coast and no lyme disease in EC either

Last edited by a moderator:
Take some Rands. They came in handy at the airport and at our hotel. The bar wouldn't take dollars. If you belong to AAA, there is no charge for them and they will buy back any you don't use. We had a hunter in camp who had a hard time converting rands to dollars and didn't know what he was spending. He didn't want to use his credit card. Plus there is a 3% foreign transaction fee on several credit cards.

Thank you everyone so far! I already have bog pods and plan on practicing on the to 300 yds!

Take a journal, neuco tape for blisters good foot powder change socks at lunch. Relax don't over tweak on the rifle. Lots of pics and take extra money for an extra trophy or 2

Congratulations on your adventure, wishing you the best of luck. A lot of great advise here. Take it easy, enjoy every moment, and shoot straight. Everything will come together once you are there.

Went out yesterday and did some practice from shooting sticks...standing at 200 yds 10" plate, and sitting at 300 yds 12" plate. The wind was blowing 10-15 cross and gusting to 20. Shooting standing from sticks in that wind was TOUGH. I didn't miss steel on any shot even in those conditions which gave me some confidence but man it took some tweaking of my stance while standing to start feeling comfortable. I can def see why people say it's so important to practice off shooting sticks! I'll be getting gout a few more times before now and the hunt to keep practicing.

Have a great trip! Please give us some photos and a report, so we can drool over your hunt!

I plan on a full write up. Gonna keep a journal and plan on some lengthy discussions with the PH and Outfitter because I'm very curious to know exactly what happens to all the meat from our animals and where all the money from the hunt goes.

This is the first time I have heard an outfitter charging 500$ if a clients trophies are collected within a week if they don't use his taxidermist. That leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I agree with @billc those dip/pack prices are high.

Enjoy your safari and have a wonderful experience.

Got a new quote from the outfitter recommended taxidermy. $1485 to dip and pack 12 animals. $300 for crating. That seems much more reasonable than the example I posted earlier.

Bags are mostly packed and rifles are ready...leaving for Dallas on Sat to catch the Sunday flight! Trying to do some research on the animals in the meantime.

I hope the week flies by for you! Who are you flying with?

Good deal, I booked on Emirates out of Dallas - worked out a little cheaper as they were having a sale at the time.

I'm flying South African over the pond
If you're stopping in Dakar to refuel, you'll get inspected by Senegal's finest and then bug sprayed before departure. Keep the same clothes on for a couple of days for the bug dope. Temps should be cool enough so not sure about bugs. Tsetses may be your biggest issue depending on area- think small armor plated horseflies :) Hope you have practiced a lot with the rifle and off the sticks. Good luck!

Haha yeah I've experienced the bug spray before doing gas and goes in Bahrain. Lovely experience haha.

Supposedly the eastern cape should be relatively big free this time year. I'm still taking bug spray just in case.

Ive shot a decent amount off sticks for practice. Not as much as I'd have really liked but enough to figure out some of the tricks and to figure out what works for me. Also learned shooting off standing sticks in gusty winds is incredibly difficult haha.

If you're stopping in Dakar to refuel, you'll get inspected by Senegal's finest and then bug sprayed before departure. Keep the same clothes on for a couple of days for the bug dope. Temps should be cool enough so not sure about bugs. Tsetses may be your biggest issue depending on area- think small armor plated horseflies :) Hope you have practiced a lot with the rifle and off the sticks. Good luck!

I used SAA a couple of years ago and was non stop from NYC to Joberg on the way down. We did stop in Dakar on the way home. I believe that they did the spray while we were still on the ground, but I can't remember. We just stayed on the plane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you