I've found perfection

Earle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Hello all. Been collecting and trying various rifles for a while now. A few I really like and have kept, mostly CZs and a few Remingtons. I always was on the lookout for a Brno ZG-47, hopefully in 7x64 and a couple weeks ago I found one, but in 7x57. It was in such nice condition that I bought it. The seller threw in 140 pieces of new brass, 200 Hornady bullets and RCBS dies. Besides obviously being a well made rifle, I don't believe I've ever had a rifle that "felt" so natural when shouldered. The open sights are just there. No shifting or squirming to line them up. They just appear like magic. This one is for sure a keeper. Don't know that I will ever get to Africa at my age, but the Brno will be walking the Ontario bush this fall.

IMG_0134.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking rifle in a storied caliber, lets hope those Canadian deer cooperate the fall.

Very nice little rifle. Those have quite a bit of drop at heel. You will want to use the lowest mounts that will work on that action. They also require a bit more erect head positioning and cheek weld. Just an issue of practice. I shoot a number of older rifles with similar drop.

I don't know that i will put a scope on it. The rifle mounts so natural that as soon as i can get some range time i plan on seeing what i can accomplish at 100yds with open sights. I like scopes and have them on my other rifles, except the 458, but i feel it is almost criminal to put one on this little rifle. My eye's will be the deciding factor.

Very nice. Consider a receiver mounted peep sight if you’re not mounting glass. NECG has some very good ones.

Nice, I don’t think you are too old for Africa, you are never too old to give up on your dreams.
Enjoy your hunting and write soon so we can enjoy your stories Old Timer.

It's a beauty, congrats!

Nice looking rifle! Congrats!

Congratulations on a lovely rifle. The ZG47s are some of the best made production M98 clones out there, together with the FNs from the 50’s. I hunted with my own ZG 8x60S last month for the first time in 5 years and really enjoyed it again. And obviously she performed flawlessly on the Zebra and Impala shot.

Put a small scope on. Talley and Warne, as well as Alaska Arms make QD mounts for them, and then you can have your open sighted rifle again at the turn of a lever.

Actually, i never thought of a QD set-up, but it is not a bad idea. In my area of Ontario a long shot is 100yds with most less than 50, but a scope would be a definite asset when on the odd occasion i find myself checking out a hydro line or clear cut. I have a brand new 1.5x5 Leupold that i will try on it and see how it works. Just need to source the QD rings.

Hi Earle,

Beautiful rifle, indeed!!
If you decide to put a scope, I can recommend without question the Alaska Arms rings!!! I have one set in my ZKK 600 9,3x62, plus another with a second scope, a Warne of the first ones, machined steel. Both are very good but the A.A. is a GREAT one, in design and quality!

Best!

CF

Earle, talk to NECG about their receiver sight. BTW they can be switched out for a scope utilizing QD /QR rings very quickly, and "wallah" you have the best of both worlds. That gun is going to make a very nice deer rifle.

Mmm, a couple of mentions of Alaska Arms rings. Actually quite a few over various threads I’ve read. I haven’t seen them listed on Australian sites but it sounds like they are highly regarded.

Congratulations Earle on getting a great rifle chambered for a great cartridge! Sounds like we hunt similar terrain so last season I took the scope off my 7x64 CZ-550FS and was amazed at how well it handled w/o the scope on top. I only lost about 15 minutes shooting time without the scope but, never saw a deer I wanted to take. Good hunting!

Great rifle, great caliber...Im fond of the small ring Brno mod. 21 and 22, I have one in 8x57, 7x57, and 8mm/06 Ackley Improved.. I like any Brno, just the best out there and the older ones tip the scales of perfection, your correct on that..

Thank you all for the kind words. Just got an email back from Alaska Arms and they do ship to Canada. Will pursue it further and see if they can suggest a set of QD rings for me. Really looking forward to the end of this virus so i can get to the range again.

Beautiful rifle. Fantastic caliber. Congratulations on a great find!

Nice, I don’t think you are too old for Africa, you are never too old to give up on your dreams.
Enjoy your hunting and write soon so we can enjoy your stories Old Timer.
@CBH Australia
Age is a state of mind mate.your right in what you said but instead of saying one day I'll do it m ale it today.
Earle you have the quintessential plains game rifle. Go have fun and enjoy life before you are to old.
Major Khan still hunts and he is 80 years old.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briansmith4631

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois