Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

I am not sure of wood, not sure if all should have hide in inserts or if I see any "smile". Not even sure of costs. What I am sure of, what I see I would be very happy with they all look dam good.

MB

Given the current price and lack of availability there could be some changes to the wood used for my bases. They are what they are, besides that I think the mounts are fantastic and that is what most people will "see" or be looking at. I'll post photos of the other mounts once they are on the wall at the cabin.

Given the current price and lack of availability there could be some changes to the wood used for my bases. They are what they are, besides that I think the mounts are fantastic and that is what most people will "see" or be looking at. I'll post photos of the other mounts once they are on the wall at the cabin.
They look great (you do need to work on that photography thing though ;) ).

Perhaps some of the harsher or more perplexed critics could post pictures of some of their taxidermy so that they could be subjected to the same critical review?

There are always going to be critics. To my eye they look great. To my eye that looks like pine. Nice, but pine. I think the surprise to me - and a little in defense of the critics - is that for what he likely paid... those weren't pine prices. Some of the critics likely paid less. Maybe a lot less. As long as Shootist is a satisfied customer, that is all that matters.

I think they look great and I’m glad you have them. It looks like very good work.

I will say that one of the things I love about the work I have done in Africa is the African teak cabinets/bases/plaques. It is hard for NA artists to source that wood.

Those look great, especially the happy eland!
He does look pleased with himself doesnt he?
I think the mounts look great. I would be pleased were they mine.

The taxidermy looks great. That being said I don't think I would want to put up with the sliding schedule and the lack of communication that has been mentioned in this thread.

https://www.animalartistry.com/ promises in 90 days. I have seen their work at the shows and they looked great. There are also a great number of glowing reviews from members here.

I am in my 60s, I'd want to see my taxidermy before my 70th birthday. ;)

Mounts and bases look good to my eye. My base (Sable / Zebra combo) from Dennis appears to be the same wood. I can't score it with my finger nail - so I don't see it being pine which one can usually score quite easily.

I think as @Tundra Tiger has pointed out, if @Shootist43 is happy, then who cares what we think. Any one of us can be an armchair critics knowing the back stories and the difficulty Dennis has faced. In the end, I would be proud to have in my home. I have over 50 mounts and not once, ever, has anyone asked me about what wood some of the bases are made of. If that is the only chink in the armor that can be found, then they are excellent taxidermy. Just my 2 cents, which is all it should be worth.

Congratulations! Hard to see in the pictures, but the bases could actually be walnut. Either way, nice to have them at home. Good Job

Red Leg I agree the photography needs to be better. Those were Cell phone shots without regard to lighting and shadows.

Ted, I too was surprised at the stained Pine bases. I was assuming they'd be oak. I must admit I never discussed my expectations / desires re. the bases. Shame on me, this would be a good lesson for others to learn from.

A top tier taxidermist would ask you what type of wood you preferred.

Mounts and bases look good to my eye. My base (Sable / Zebra combo) from Dennis appears to be the same wood. I can't score it with my finger nail - so I don't see it being pine which one can usually score quite easily.

Correct. It is not pine. Dennis has rattled off what it was to me previously and I just can’t remember. It is a wood he likes because it looks like teak, but it isn’t teak.

For anyone keeping track, the cheapest wood you can use for cabinets is red oak. Goes about $2.80 A board foot. From there, you go to maple at about $4. Then you step up to cherry around $6. From there you get into black walnut around $9-$12, then exotics and clear pine dimensional lumber are more. Only little tiny pieces of pine are cheap. People that swung a hammer think trade-grade SPF is cheap therefore pine of a grade high enough for cabinetry work, without heavy knots, without lots of resin, should be cheap…it isn’t.

Ted is right: wood choice should have been a discussed option. Heck, when I was doing deer, antlers, and such on the side I gave my clients choices, even for the antler mounts. While the taxidermy is first rate, if it was mine I would have wanted the final say on wood type (I am partial to oak).

Shootist is happy; that is really all that matters. The rest of us, me included, can go pound sand. :p And decide for ourselves who WE would give our work to.

Congratulations! Hard to see in the pictures, but the bases could actually be walnut. Either way, nice to have them at home. Good Job
That was my thought as well. Pine does not stain as evenly as those bases are done.

The only thing I don't get with Dennis's work (and he is an outstanding taxidermist...and I'm not being intentionally disparaging ) is why a lot of the animals he mounts appear to be smiling. Look at the picture threads. Maybe it's just me , but I haven't see that expression in the wild. Am I just a misguided fool? Internet experts...please weigh in...

To me, the bases look OK- matter of fact pretty good! And glad of course a delivery was made! But I'm not a pedestal mount with shadow box inset type person except for certain applications. That's not the point- it is up to the owner/hunter to determine likes/dislikes. And really the type of wood is not important to me either as long as it's well made, well finished. Two of the pedestals can't tell wood type but if this one is not stained pine then someone tell me what it is? Don't get me wrong, stained pine looks fine to me and in some ways better than plain drab maple or mahogany. This one does show some character and I kind of like it. Rhodesian teak, as has been posted, would be the bee's knees and teal's heels, but that's about as likely as finding a pile of unicorn apples with a lot of the hardwood in Africa getting poached (errrr-aaa... harvested with "legally" obtained permits of course) and shipped to China :)

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 5.10.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClydeBold4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?