Issues with the Artistry of Wildlife

There is a taxidermist in Wasilla. I use him. Several of my friends use him. His quality of work on large mammals is very good. (I used to have a taxidermy shop on the side; I feel like I know what to look for ;) ) He does a high volume. I have never seen him come close to a year, and usually it's a lot less. He sends updates with great frequency, and his prices are fair. I also know enough to know that makes him the exception, as far as work times, but such taxidermists do exist.

There is a taxidermist in Wasilla. I use him. Several of my friends use him. His quality of work on large mammals is very good. (I used to have a taxidermy shop on the side; I feel like I know what to look for ;) ) He does a high volume. I have never seen him come close to a year, and usually it's a lot less. He sends updates with great frequency, and his prices are fair. I also know enough to know that makes him the exception, as far as work times, but such taxidermists do exist.

Skip’s in Salcha is outstanding for sheep and goats. He’s a keen sheep hunter himself, which I think helps. He has been well under a year in my work.

I received a text from Dennis yesterday, he still had not received the pedestals from his supplier. He was going to contact the supplier and get back to me.

I received a text from Dennis yesterday, he still had not received the pedestals from his supplier. He was going to contact the supplier and get back to me.

Sadly.....I'm not surprized
Early June turns into early July and maybe later.....BTDT
My condolences

I haven't weighed in other than to share that the guy I use runs his business in a different fashion than Dennis. I have to say though... How the crap do you go from giving a delivery date, at the end of this week, WITHOUT all of the parts to make it a complete mount???? There is nothing about that that makes any reasonable sense at all.

I think his pedestal supplier is an Amish kid. I'm looking at his work as I type this. He's a decent woodworker and certainly better than the off-the-shelf catalog pedestals in MacKenzies and elsewhere.

Being Amish, I would imagine communication delays happen. I think my woodwork was delayed 2-3 weeks as well on my buffalo as the taxidermy was done, the pedestal was not.

Dennis mentioned that his pedestal supplier was / is Amish. I may be in that same "boat."

Has anyone heard from Dennis lately? I was trading emails with him a few months ago about finalizing poses for several animals of mine that he has and we seemed to be getting on track. However, now I have not heard back for over a month or so and he has not responded to my emails. Thanks

Has anyone heard from Dennis lately? I was trading emails with him a few months ago about finalizing poses for several animals of mine that he has and we seemed to be getting on track. However, now I have not heard back for over a month or so and he has not responded to my emails. Thanks
Really.....

I just spent an hour perusing the pics on his personal Facebook page. Holy Hell his work is magnificent. My apologies for those who’ve had work there for years but Jesus, who can top him? I’m not defending him - never even heard of him until now but I’m presently narrowing the taxidermist list for my first safari and haven’t found many (if any) who are close to this skill set. I had settled on my choice but after seeing his work I’m not really sure anymore. Thankfully he’s not taking new customers or I’m afraid I would make a mistake and send him my specimens. It is my hope that his work will push the others but geeze, there’s not much room for improvement in his mounts that I can see.

I just spent an hour perusing the pics on his personal Facebook page. Holy Hell his work is magnificent. My apologies for those who’ve had work there for years but Jesus, who can top him? I’m not defending him - never even heard of him until now but I’m presently narrowing the taxidermist list for my first safari and haven’t found many (if any) who are close to this skill set. I had settled on my choice but after seeing his work I’m not really sure anymore. Thankfully he’s not taking new customers or I’m afraid I would make a mistake and send him my specimens. It is my hope that his work will push the others but geeze, there’s not much room for improvement in his mounts that I can see.
Where are you located at?

There are quite a few talented artiest spaced out across the US. I know of a fantastic one down in Arizona in Tucson along with Gizmo on the site here

Reactions: BWH

Yep. Now you see the conundrum.

this was a deer he did for me.

6E5BFBF3-E561-414E-93F0-160089E4FFF1.jpeg
42F7A647-3010-42D3-95FD-AB85ECB8D667.jpeg
B9B8DE3A-6195-4981-8B7F-7B6142E03DC5.jpeg
011A196A-6E02-4435-9EEF-FDF21F9EE921.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in Alabama. My whitetail guy is awesome but he doesn’t do African. Some of the mounts in the attached pic are over 20 years old. To call me a taxidermy snob would be an understatement. I cannot enjoy the antlers or horns of an animal if the mount is shoddy.
D9BE282B-9CF1-4078-8A4C-5D224A6D511B.jpeg

There ARE talented taxidermists out there equal to the one in focus in this thread. Just have to know what you are looking at/for and be willing to do some serious searching with a large investment of time. Unfortunately, the business is absolutely loaded with shady characters with little talent and it seems to have always been that way- at least it's been that way in my experience since the '60s. Even now I look at some of the mounts from that era including many done by a very well known and world famous company and cringe!! The current bar is set pretty high for quality. Also, not mentioned enough in these threads is of equal importance to the individual taxidermist. It is the prep, transport and storage from the field to your taxidermist's hands- a process that can span well over a year. And which may be mostly if not entirely out of your control.

My lifelong taxidermist passed away a few years ago and I have not found an equal but haven't worried too much as I've only had one hide-on mount done since then and it turned out OK. (attached pics) All the rest have been saved in photos, left behind or are simple skull mounts
which I can do myself if desired.

63 1:4 kudu et al.png

kudu eye detail.JPG

@fourfive8 Very nice Kudu. From the pics it appears I would be happy with that. Do you mind sharing the artist with me via PM. Thank you.

There ARE talented taxidermists out there equal to the one in focus in this thread. Just have to know what you are looking at/for and be willing to do some serious searching with a large investment of time. Unfortunately, the business is absolutely loaded with shady characters with little talent and it seems to have always been that way- at least it's been that way in my experience since the '60s. Even now I look at some of the mounts from that era including many done by a very well known and world famous company and cringe!! The current bar is set pretty high for quality. Also, not mentioned enough in these threads is of equal importance to the individual taxidermist. It is the prep, transport and storage from the field to your taxidermist's hands- a process that can span well over a year. And which may be mostly if not entirely out of your control.

My lifelong taxidermist passed away a few years ago and I have not found an equal but haven't worried too much as I've only had one hide-on mount done since then and it turned out OK. (attached pics) All the rest have been saved in photos, left behind or are simple skull mounts
which I can do myself if desired.

View attachment 411594

View attachment 411596
Nice work and one heck of a kudu.

Reactions: JHT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasovWoogy

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg