is this a bad idea?

decided to leave it at home so in June I will go to the Safari Rifle Challenge in Libby, Montana and see how I stack up against the other big bore shooters. 375 caliber and up

PILLS: I can only share my experience. In the time since 9/11, (except for the past 2) I have traveled 50K - 100+K per year. I have traveled to 5 of the 7 continents and 25 - 30 countries. Some modern and developed and others backward, third world countries. I have never had anyone question the medications and supplements that I carry with in my luggage. The pills are always in a daily pill container and, if the trip is longer than 7 days, in ziploc bags. I can't recall seeing anyone else being questioned about their pills - even in Singapore or Dubai where they warn you that the penalty for bringing in illegal drugs is death. In NZ, I did see a man being hassled by customs over a large bag of granola. :)

In Canada, they wouldn't let me keep a pair of nail clippers because there was a nail file attached. Germany looked closely (even measured) a corkscrew but let me keep it. Indonesia customs made a big deal about my SCUBA gear (I had come from diving on the Great Barrier Reef) - perhaps looking for a bribe.

Odds are that no matter what you do with your pills there won't be any question about them. However, there is always that customs agent who is having a bad day or looking for a bribe. If your meds are very important, then better to err on the side of caution.

When planning my first safari, I posed the outfitter/landowner the same questions and he told me to bring my .308 and 180 grain bullets for all plains game. He grew up on the property and used his .308 on all PG and some DG. I said OK, but then my older brother got sick with Cancer and when he was dying I promised him that I would hunt with each of his rifles. I took his Ruger 77 .338 Win Mag to Africa and it killed all my game and my buddies Eland with one shot each. Sold! One heck of a rifle.
I did take game with all his rifles, but It is the only one of his rifles that I kept and still have.

Prior to my trip to Namibia, I asked my pharmacy to refill my pills in small bottles so they wouldn’t take up much room (eight bottles). I also took my daily pill case and distributed the pills into that when I arrived in camp.
Also, make sure you carry your meds in your carry on.

as you may have to pay for any animals you drawl blood on, i would use a bigger caliber then a 6.5CM . for my self it was a CZ 550 in .375 H&H mag on six hunting trips and i didn,t lose any animals i shot.

DSCN2098 (2).JPG

Unless you go on some specialty plains game hunt (Masailand), you won't even come close to shooting 400 yards unless you try real hard

Please do not take a 6mm Creedmore for your first safari. A .30 cal will serve you so much better.

I admit that I'm no fan of the 6.5CM. It was conceived as a long-range match round and that's where it excels. I'm also no fan (and I mean, not at all) of long-range hunting, so obviously my opinion is biased. If it's "your" caliber, go for it.

Like others, I would take both rifles. I have pared down my choice of hunting calibers to the .375 Flanged Magnum and the .375 Belted Magnum--and have no reason to seek anything else if not for the pure enjoyment of a new quest. With these two cartridges I can ethically take any animal that walks the Earth.

(1) get a 375 H&H and take it. Legal for all game. Yes any 30 cal will work, but you never know what you are going to shoot or worst have to shoot.

(2) keep all prescriptions in their original container, period. This applies everywhere, including the USA. Traffic stop and the Cop wants to search your car, and finds your meds, not in their original container be prepared for a trip to the local jail and lawyer fees to get your case dismissed. Also be careful with over the counter drugs. For example, Sudafed while perfectly legal in the USA is a criminal offense in the UAE.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross