Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
I have decided to finally go to S Africa next April for plains game, I have been told shots will be normally 200 yards or less and that I could use my 6 Creedmoor with Hammer Hunter bullets your thoughts? next I do have a CZ550 458 win mag and was thinking about using this with 350 grain Hammer bullets average vel is 2541 fps and could be shot out to 250 yards this is the one I really would like to take as the cape buff will have to wait awhile. what are your thoughts as I will bow to your knowledge and experience. thanks Jim

Glad you have decided to go! Plains game runs the spectrum from duiker to eland and zebra. You will need a gun and ammunition to quickly and humanely kill the largest animal you may encounter. (not the largest on your list - lists change Quickly in Africa). You might fill us in a bit more for the best advice. Good luck with the preparation and planning, that's a big portion of the fun.

I do have an 06 but like the idea of using my 458, the company is Trophy Game Safaris in the Limpopo Province this is a hunt thru Hammer Bullets they go ever year. I would like to take warthog, baboon gemsbuck,nyala,impala,jackal,greater southern kudu and maybe a zebra who knows. i also have a 6.5-284 I could take also. can you use a suppressor there and what is the story about taking prescription meds do they have to be in the original bottle or can you just take a daily pill box? thanks for the help a lot to learn and cover

I have travelled quite a bit to Europe as well as Zimbabwe, South Africa, Mozambique and New Zealand. I always have my prescription medications in their original bottle which includes the prescription information.

I would agree with others that the 30-06, 300 - something might be a better fit.

Take both rifles with you. Use the .458 on the Kudu and Gemsbuck. The 6 mm CM will work for the others. Take a rifle case that holds 2 rifles. Your allowed 11 lbs of ammo so thats plenty for what you need. Supressor in RSA is fine. They sell them OTC there. I'd make sure it was on my 4457 just to make sure that there are no issues returning with it.
I've put my meds in a weekly container and never had them look at them.
Bruce

Yeah take both...as its plain you want to have a go with your 458... :E Big Grin: ...as for medication it depends on what it is....but to be on safe side keep in original packaging and take the original prescription documents...if the pharmacy people keep it ask your doctor for a copy ....as I know from experience that what is written on the packaging by pharmacist doesn't matter...and explaining that in that country they keep the prescription doesn't cut it...I had stand off with the customs people here for over an hour, as I knew they wanted them so could sell them....so in end said OK let's go flush them down toilet...this they weren't happy about so in end let me leave...so in the remote chance you do get searched , which is very unlikely as they will be more interested in checking your guns etc its worth having it

Plains game is anything from steenbok till eland. And in that respect 6mm is not universal plains game caliber. Large PG is eland, zebra, roan, sable. Personally I would not use 6 mm on them.
Take both rifles 6mm and 458, and use them as situation and animal dictates.

I fully support the two rifle concept. I consider the 6.5 using premium bullets adequate for PG up to and including Wildebeest anything above that requires more horsepower. You can use your 458 on Kudu and Zebra (even though its a bit much) and Eland.

If you are going the 458 route make sure you get proper glass on it with good magnigfication and double check the eye relief.

I do have an 06 but like the idea of using my 458, the company is Trophy Game Safaris in the Limpopo Province this is a hunt thru Hammer Bullets they go ever year. I would like to take warthog, baboon gemsbuck,nyala,impala,jackal,greater southern kudu and maybe a zebra who knows. i also have a 6.5-284 I could take also. can you use a suppressor there and what is the story about taking prescription meds do they have to be in the original bottle or can you just take a daily pill box? thanks for the help a lot to learn and cover
@Hyde Hunter
Best to take medications in original bottles or have your chemist make up a Webster blister pack for 7 days.
Take the 458 and have fun but baboons can be hard to get to. The closest my mate could get was around 350 yards all ather game was between 60 to 275 yards. The 275 was on my Impala.
Bob

IMHO the 6 Creedmore is too small.

The .458 is too much, but too much is (usually) OK unless your bullets won't expand on smaller animals.

If you want to take 2 rifles, take the .30/06 and the 458.

If you take only 1 rifle, the .30/06 will be fine. Use premium bullets on the big stuff, and 150 grain Remington Core-lokts or Winchester Power points on the rest.

Or, just use 165g or 180g premium bullets on everything and I'm pretty sure that it will work OK on everything you hunt.

it will one of the 2 just depends on which one I am happiest with accuracy wise, going to be Hammer Hunter bullets since they are putting this hunt together and so far they look pretty good, premium bullets. but I am leaning towards the 6.5-284 thanks

30-06 and if you really want the 458WM, I don’t see a problem with it. My only issue is I like traveling light, so just one rifle (.30 caliber) would be my choice given your options.

That said, you can’t go wrong with a .375 caliber for everything in Africa. PG to DG it gets the job done for a traveling/client hunter. I think it’s time you filled the very wide gap in your battery between .30 and .458.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!