Is South Africa still safe to hunt?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Eventually_Africa_Again, May 13, 2016.

1. Alexandro Faria

Alexandro Faria AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SA wingshooters, GOSA,
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Botswana
    Take it from someone that lives here, RSA is fine. Like any country, we have our issues. But media love to sensationalize whatever they can get their little hands on. Are there farm attacks? Yes. Is there crime? Yes. But Unless you go driving through Alexandria at 2am by yourself, you should be fine. I'm obviously biased, but it's easily the most beautiful country I have seen. From Mountains, to desert, to thick bush to some of the most mesmerizing coastline you will every see. There's something for everyone here. The people are truly amazing, for the most part. Just a few idiotic extremists on either side who make it their business to try ruin things for everyone else.

2. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    as long as you were using your rifle and not your gun.........;):E Rofl:

3. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    No worries man. I took my wife and kids in 2015. At the end of the trip we spent 3 days at a beach resort all by our lonesome. We walked the beach, did shopping in town, zero issues. It's like anywhere else you go. Use common sense and avoid walking around at night and in bad parts of towns etc.... No sweat bro, you'll have the time of your life.

Bsto270 likes this.

4. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I do have to say without a doubt SA has the most friendly people I've seen anywhere I've ever visited.

siml and buckcurtin like this.

5. buckcurtin

buckcurtin AH Veteran

Member of:
    SCI NRA
    Hunted:
    RSA/Zimbabwe
    You are safer in most parts of South Africa than the south side of Chicago. Its like anywhere, there are good parts and bad parts. Connect with a good PH like I have and you will be completely safe. Safe travels.

6. Ernie Shipman

Ernie Shipman AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    The Church Universal & The Kingdom of Heaven
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    My wife & I did a hunt last year, then rented a car in Polokwane & drove south to Hluhluwe. Had a great time & never felt unsafe. Use common sense, lock you car, etc & you should be fine. I have traveled all over the world: some places felt uncomfortable,some did. It's no different than in the US.... Have a GREAT trip! PM me if any ???

7. edward

edward AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    safari club,nra,d.s.c.
    Hunted:
    south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
    read the crap that goes on in this country,just as bad some places.

sierraone likes this.

8. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    That isn't saying much. I wouldn't go to the south side of Chicago on a bet.

After our hunts we took a tour from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and then up to Lesotho and then back to Port Elizabeth with no problems. Even when we went to the mall in Cape Town it look just like any other mall that we had been into. Even all the towns we went through I didn't see really any place that I would of felt unsafe if we had been walking around.

9. Eventually_Africa_Again

Eventually_Africa_Again AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Thanks for all the replies! I guess I was just being silly, it's been known to happen in the past and I'm sure it will again in the future. I just like to know what I'm walking into, that's all.

Badger Matt, CAustin and rinehart0050 like this.

10. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
    @Eventually_Africa not silly at all. I'm headed on my first safari this summer and have been asking similar questions here and directly with my outfitter. I like to plan everything out, make sure I have all my bases covered, etc. Keep asking questions because the discussion benefits everyone on this site.

As my boss likes to say, the only thing he remembers from Ranger School is PRSC. Planning, Reconnaissance, Security, Control. These are the elements of an effective combat patrol. But they are also a life philosophy. Sticking to those tenets will lead to success in every situation.

edward and sierraone like this.

11. UKHunter

UKHunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain and Germany.
    My exact first thought when I read this thread.

12. Rolf_T

Rolf_T AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    The most dangerous place is still your own home, especially when another crate from a hunt in Africa are arriving and the missus finds out...
    I'll take any day in Africa with my gun and a quota to fill :whistle::)
    And by all travelling in SA, Moz, Zim etc I've never felt unsafe, since we travel together with PHs and outfitters. The small places are nice to visit, and I avoid the major cities...

enysse likes this.

13. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    All of us had to ask questions at some point about safety! I sure did! Once you go and get an understanding you will still be on guard to an extent because your in another country. I e felt better and better about South Africa every time I've been. But truth be told I had safety concerns about London, Paris, and Rome.

14. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Been there on five hunts, no issues.

15. petrusg

petrusg AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
    It will be your Outfitters priority to keep you safe so i don't think you need to be stressed about the stories you see or hear of.

Royal27 likes this.

16. Odinsraven

Odinsraven AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
    Hunted:
    UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
    Been to South Africa several times now ....never felt unsafe ...... Joberg hire a driver simply because he knows where he is going.

Stayed at Afton House in Joberg .....Annalise's drivers will take you anywhere you need to go ......

......Other than that enjoy

enysse and edward like this.

17. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Community stands against farm attacks
    FOLLOWING the brutal murder of Billy Van Rooyen and his father in law Ronnie Lombard, the community members of Zwathi took to the streets saying ‘enough is enough’.

marchpicFront_26234.jpg

PHOENIX PHIL likes this.

18. WildRose

WildRose AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
    The crime rate in S. Africa is staggering compared to here in the US. It is not a place I'd want to be without people I know are dependable, safety conscious and well versed in the language, customs and realities of day to day life in the RSA.

As long as you book with an established outfitter who can take care of you from arrival to departure there is nothing to worry about and you will have dependable armed security wherever you go.

If you need help, drop me a line, I can point you in the right direction.

19. WildRose

WildRose AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    AKC, GSPCA, SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, N/S Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Africa
    Africa is an addiction. I can understand why with all it's problems so many of us can never get enough of it and just keep going back.

Royal27 and enysse like this.

20. buddy48

buddy48 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Georgia, South Carolina, Iowa, Montana, Missouri, South Africa

Laney Walker Blvd huh...small world. I live near Augusta and you're 100% right. Just curious how you know Augusta! :)

CAustin likes this.