Is South Africa still safe to hunt?

Take it from someone that lives here, RSA is fine. Like any country, we have our issues. But media love to sensationalize whatever they can get their little hands on. Are there farm attacks? Yes. Is there crime? Yes. But Unless you go driving through Alexandria at 2am by yourself, you should be fine. I'm obviously biased, but it's easily the most beautiful country I have seen. From Mountains, to desert, to thick bush to some of the most mesmerizing coastline you will every see. There's something for everyone here. The people are truly amazing, for the most part. Just a few idiotic extremists on either side who make it their business to try ruin things for everyone else.

No worries man. I took my wife and kids in 2015. At the end of the trip we spent 3 days at a beach resort all by our lonesome. We walked the beach, did shopping in town, zero issues. It's like anywhere else you go. Use common sense and avoid walking around at night and in bad parts of towns etc.... No sweat bro, you'll have the time of your life.

I do have to say without a doubt SA has the most friendly people I've seen anywhere I've ever visited.

First off let me apologies if this is in the wrong thread!

I'm reading a lot of news coming out of South Africa nowadays and my simple question is, for your average Joe hunter, is South Africa still politically safe to hunt in? Ive seen several articles about people going out to farms and shooting up the place (http://www.news24.com/Tags/Topics/farm_attacks) and it seems like there is an intensifying "us v.s. them" mentality in some of the areas. I just wanted opinions on the safety of the trip. I desperately want to go, I've made my plans for next year and I've already put down my deposit, I just wanted some reassurance or warning I guess. Again, sorry if this was in the wrong forum, I just thought that since it did have to do with hunting in Africa it might belong here.

Thank you!
You are safer in most parts of South Africa than the south side of Chicago. Its like anywhere, there are good parts and bad parts. Connect with a good PH like I have and you will be completely safe. Safe travels.

My wife & I did a hunt last year, then rented a car in Polokwane & drove south to Hluhluwe. Had a great time & never felt unsafe. Use common sense, lock you car, etc & you should be fine. I have traveled all over the world: some places felt uncomfortable,some did. It's no different than in the US.... Have a GREAT trip! PM me if any ???

Alright, I'm very glad to hear all the reassurances! I suppose I just get edgy every now and again, especially since I'm not sure of the sizes of the areas and such. Thank you all for your experiences, they really helped!

read the crap that goes on in this country,just as bad some places.

You are safer in most parts of South Africa than the south side of Chicago.

That isn't saying much. I wouldn't go to the south side of Chicago on a bet.

After our hunts we took a tour from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and then up to Lesotho and then back to Port Elizabeth with no problems. Even when we went to the mall in Cape Town it look just like any other mall that we had been into. Even all the towns we went through I didn't see really any place that I would of felt unsafe if we had been walking around.

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I was just being silly, it's been known to happen in the past and I'm sure it will again in the future. I just like to know what I'm walking into, that's all.

@Eventually_Africa not silly at all. I'm headed on my first safari this summer and have been asking similar questions here and directly with my outfitter. I like to plan everything out, make sure I have all my bases covered, etc. Keep asking questions because the discussion benefits everyone on this site.

As my boss likes to say, the only thing he remembers from Ranger School is PRSC. Planning, Reconnaissance, Security, Control. These are the elements of an effective combat patrol. But they are also a life philosophy. Sticking to those tenets will lead to success in every situation.

The most dangerous place is still your own home, especially when another crate from a hunt in Africa are arriving and the missus finds out...
I'll take any day in Africa with my gun and a quota to fill :whistle::)
And by all travelling in SA, Moz, Zim etc I've never felt unsafe, since we travel together with PHs and outfitters. The small places are nice to visit, and I avoid the major cities...

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I was just being silly, it's been known to happen in the past and I'm sure it will again in the future. I just like to know what I'm walking into, that's all.

All of us had to ask questions at some point about safety! I sure did! Once you go and get an understanding you will still be on guard to an extent because your in another country. I e felt better and better about South Africa every time I've been. But truth be told I had safety concerns about London, Paris, and Rome.

Been there on five hunts, no issues.

It will be your Outfitters priority to keep you safe so i don't think you need to be stressed about the stories you see or hear of.

Been to South Africa several times now ....never felt unsafe ...... Joberg hire a driver simply because he knows where he is going.

Stayed at Afton House in Joberg .....Annalise's drivers will take you anywhere you need to go ......

......Other than that enjoy

Community stands against farm attacks
FOLLOWING the brutal murder of Billy Van Rooyen and his father in law Ronnie Lombard, the community members of Zwathi took to the streets saying ‘enough is enough’.

marchpicFront_26234.jpg

First off let me apologies if this is in the wrong thread!

I'm reading a lot of news coming out of South Africa nowadays and my simple question is, for your average Joe hunter, is South Africa still politically safe to hunt in? Ive seen several articles about people going out to farms and shooting up the place (http://www.news24.com/Tags/Topics/farm_attacks) and it seems like there is an intensifying "us v.s. them" mentality in some of the areas. I just wanted opinions on the safety of the trip. I desperately want to go, I've made my plans for next year and I've already put down my deposit, I just wanted some reassurance or warning I guess. Again, sorry if this was in the wrong forum, I just thought that since it did have to do with hunting in Africa it might belong here.

Thank you!
The crime rate in S. Africa is staggering compared to here in the US. It is not a place I'd want to be without people I know are dependable, safety conscious and well versed in the language, customs and realities of day to day life in the RSA.

As long as you book with an established outfitter who can take care of you from arrival to departure there is nothing to worry about and you will have dependable armed security wherever you go.

If you need help, drop me a line, I can point you in the right direction.

LOL, after one trip it's all down hill from there because you will never get the Dark Continent out of your blood. I have been told it a disease.....one hunting trip after another:whistle::whistle::whistle:
Africa is an addiction. I can understand why with all it's problems so many of us can never get enough of it and just keep going back.

You will be fine! In most cases your outfitter picks you up at OR Tambo and you are then in their care throughout your trip! Otherwise the use of a guest house is wise. There will always be people at large airports trying to get you to let them help you! Like Atlanta......just keep walking.
I have never really had any issue in that wonderful county. That being said
Like any country there are places you do not go!
Kansas City Trust street at 1 am comes to mind! Laney Walker Blvd in Augusta GA anytime of the day!
The Sowehetto (spelling) area of Johanesburg is not a place you should go to even with your outfitter.

So relax and enjoy your trip!

Laney Walker Blvd huh...small world. I live near Augusta and you're 100% right. Just curious how you know Augusta! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg