Is it possible to hunt Limpopo and Cape Bushbuck in the same safari?

chago66

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
I'm looking for an outfitter who can offer me to hunt the two bushbucks subspecies, Limpopo and Cape Bushbuck and other species of course, in the same safari. Limpopo and Natal are proximal regions and would be a good option and what about Mpumalanga? Are there the two?
Thanks!

Well, to hunt the Cape Bushbuck, you will have to spend some time in the Eastern Cape, mainly. Unless you can somehow find an outfitter that employs a PH with legislation to hunt both provinces, I'm afraid that you will have to split your safari with two operators. There are plenty of excellent outfits available on this forum, and I have no doubts that you will find what you are looking for here.
If you have any further questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

I think it would be wise to split your times between two outfitters. I think Infinito Safaris and Savanna Hunting Safaris...among others could accomplish what you want. But the area the two species are found are very far apart. And the outfitter that lives and hunts in the area everyday is going to know a lot more about hunting the animals you want...than the guy that lives 800 miles away.

I would recommend Marius for the East Cape bushbuck. Infinito Safari for the Limpopo bushbuck. There are lots of great outfitters that post on here. The two outfitters I listed would give you the option of hunting the East Cape kudu and the Southern Greater Kudu too.

Thanks Marius and Enysse but my idea is not to hunt in places as far apart maybe at Mpumalanga two subspecies coexist or there may be good Cape Busbuck specimens in Natal. But the most important hunting with 2 outfitters would be problematic when the dip and pack.
There is no one who has hunting concessions and licenses in Natal and Limpopo?
Thanks.

Marius Goosen and Chris Troskie can both help you. I'm sure a split hunt is possible. I've done it. Hired a car in Bloomfontein and drove to Jo'Burg between hunts.

I don't see how the dip and pack would be affected. You can have all your animals sent to the same taxidermist or dip and pack place. As long as the outfitter and PH do the paperwork and permits on the animals....I see no problems. I have combined shipments before...the paperwork and drop off have to be coordinated...that's all.

Thanks to all for the information. I'll study the options and report back as I do at last.
Regards.

I spoke to Charl van Rooyen of Infinito Safaris about this very thing last year, and they can do both bushbuck.Travelling to the different concessions will add more days and ultimately more expense, and this will be the same for any Outfit that do both. I met Frederik of Infinito at the BASA AGM shoot last year and he is very hospitable, friendly, and down to earth.

It is also an idea to go with one Outfitter who is based in Eastern Cape and one based in Limpopo. It all depends on what you find out I suppose and I wish you luck. Enjoy

Just saw that this thread is quite old, hope you found what you were looking for.

The bushbucks found in the Cape and the Limpopo Province are of the same species Tragelaphus scriptus and are not different sub-species. They may look slightly different but these are typically small colour variations.

The bushbuck story are quite confusing and there seemes to be a lot of controversy among scientists about bushbucks troughout all of Africa.
Are the chobe bushbuck different from the one in Limpopo and East Cape?

There was a paper published in 2008 that analyzed mitochondrial DNA from all 23 of the recognized "ecotypes" (groups shown to be each others closest relatives - not exactly the same as a subspecies). The authors found that bushbucks fall into two very distinct groups which were as different from each other as bushbucks are from other species of spiral-horned antelope. This is good evidence that there are actually two separate species of bushbuck. Further research and evidence is needed to be more confident but, for the time being, the authors propose the two species be designated Tragelaphus scriptus (and called the kewel) and Tragelaphus sylvaticus (or imbabala). The paper can be found at http://www.wpazambia.com/Articles/mitochondrial DNA testing of bushbuck 2008.pdf. Some additional info is available at Bushbuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

There was a paper published in 2008 that analyzed mitochondrial DNA from all 23 of the recognized "ecotypes" (groups shown to be each others closest relatives - not exactly the same as a subspecies). The authors found that bushbucks fall into two very distinct groups which were as different from each other as bushbucks are from other species of spiral-horned antelope. This is good evidence that there are actually two separate species of bushbuck. Further research and evidence is needed to be more confident but, for the time being, the authors propose the two species be designated Tragelaphus scriptus (and called the kewel) and Tragelaphus sylvaticus (or imbabala). The paper can be found at http://www.wpazambia.com/Articles/mitochondrial DNA testing of bushbuck 2008.pdf. Some additional info is available at Bushbuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting stuff.

Interesting article.
Science....

Thanks.

It seems so much easier just to have a few hunters get together and make new categories for scoring purposes and argue about it. :)

Interesting article.
Science....

Thanks.

It seems so much easier just to have a few hunters get together and make new categories for scoring purposes and argue about it. :)

LOL, Thats what keeps life interesting!

LOL, Thats what keeps life interesting!

Youn are so right it keeps it interesting but it also keeps us humble, as stated it would be simpler to do it by just creating scoring categories on our own, but then again you would be sitting with 26 different white tail scores, very close to 4 impala scores in SA alone, as they are all different.

My very best.

But we would all be Number 1!!

:bonk: Should have thought of that!

My best always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg