Is it possible to hunt Limpopo and Cape Bushbuck in the same safari?

chago66

AH member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an outfitter who can offer me to hunt the two bushbucks subspecies, Limpopo and Cape Bushbuck and other species of course, in the same safari. Limpopo and Natal are proximal regions and would be a good option and what about Mpumalanga? Are there the two?
Thanks!

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Well, to hunt the Cape Bushbuck, you will have to spend some time in the Eastern Cape, mainly. Unless you can somehow find an outfitter that employs a PH with legislation to hunt both provinces, I'm afraid that you will have to split your safari with two operators. There are plenty of excellent outfits available on this forum, and I have no doubts that you will find what you are looking for here.
If you have any further questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I think it would be wise to split your times between two outfitters. I think Infinito Safaris and Savanna Hunting Safaris...among others could accomplish what you want. But the area the two species are found are very far apart. And the outfitter that lives and hunts in the area everyday is going to know a lot more about hunting the animals you want...than the guy that lives 800 miles away.

I would recommend Marius for the East Cape bushbuck. Infinito Safari for the Limpopo bushbuck. There are lots of great outfitters that post on here. The two outfitters I listed would give you the option of hunting the East Cape kudu and the Southern Greater Kudu too.

chago66

AH member
Reaction score
Thanks Marius and Enysse but my idea is not to hunt in places as far apart maybe at Mpumalanga two subspecies coexist or there may be good Cape Busbuck specimens in Natal. But the most important hunting with 2 outfitters would be problematic when the dip and pack.
There is no one who has hunting concessions and licenses in Natal and Limpopo?
Thanks.

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
Marius Goosen and Chris Troskie can both help you. I'm sure a split hunt is possible. I've done it. Hired a car in Bloomfontein and drove to Jo'Burg between hunts.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I don't see how the dip and pack would be affected. You can have all your animals sent to the same taxidermist or dip and pack place. As long as the outfitter and PH do the paperwork and permits on the animals....I see no problems. I have combined shipments before...the paperwork and drop off have to be coordinated...that's all.

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic

jenn

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
S A Hunters and Conservation Association
Hunted
South Africa and Namibia

chago66

AH member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the information. I'll study the options and report back as I do at last.
Regards.

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Free-State, North West, Northern Cape) and Botswana (Tuli Area; Selebi-Pikwe, and Tsabong regions)
I spoke to Charl van Rooyen of Infinito Safaris about this very thing last year, and they can do both bushbuck.Travelling to the different concessions will add more days and ultimately more expense, and this will be the same for any Outfit that do both. I met Frederik of Infinito at the BASA AGM shoot last year and he is very hospitable, friendly, and down to earth.

It is also an idea to go with one Outfitter who is based in Eastern Cape and one based in Limpopo. It all depends on what you find out I suppose and I wish you luck. Enjoy

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Free-State, North West, Northern Cape) and Botswana (Tuli Area; Selebi-Pikwe, and Tsabong regions)
Just saw that this thread is quite old, hope you found what you were looking for.

dwerner

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
The bushbucks found in the Cape and the Limpopo Province are of the same species Tragelaphus scriptus and are not different sub-species. They may look slightly different but these are typically small colour variations.

Wolverine67

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, SHAC, RW Guild
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Poland, South Africa
The bushbuck story are quite confusing and there seemes to be a lot of controversy among scientists about bushbucks troughout all of Africa.
Are the chobe bushbuck different from the one in Limpopo and East Cape?

philheise

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
Namibia (Omaruru, Mariental), South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape)
There was a paper published in 2008 that analyzed mitochondrial DNA from all 23 of the recognized "ecotypes" (groups shown to be each others closest relatives - not exactly the same as a subspecies). The authors found that bushbucks fall into two very distinct groups which were as different from each other as bushbucks are from other species of spiral-horned antelope. This is good evidence that there are actually two separate species of bushbuck. Further research and evidence is needed to be more confident but, for the time being, the authors propose the two species be designated Tragelaphus scriptus (and called the kewel) and Tragelaphus sylvaticus (or imbabala). The paper can be found at http://www.wpazambia.com/Articles/mitochondrial DNA testing of bushbuck 2008.pdf. Some additional info is available at Bushbuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
There was a paper published in 2008 that analyzed mitochondrial DNA from all 23 of the recognized "ecotypes" (groups shown to be each others closest relatives - not exactly the same as a subspecies). The authors found that bushbucks fall into two very distinct groups which were as different from each other as bushbucks are from other species of spiral-horned antelope. This is good evidence that there are actually two separate species of bushbuck. Further research and evidence is needed to be more confident but, for the time being, the authors propose the two species be designated Tragelaphus scriptus (and called the kewel) and Tragelaphus sylvaticus (or imbabala). The paper can be found at http://www.wpazambia.com/Articles/mitochondrial DNA testing of bushbuck 2008.pdf. Some additional info is available at Bushbuck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting stuff.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Interesting article.
Science....

Thanks.

It seems so much easier just to have a few hunters get together and make new categories for scoring purposes and argue about it. :)

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Interesting article.
Science....

Thanks.

It seems so much easier just to have a few hunters get together and make new categories for scoring purposes and argue about it. :)

LOL, Thats what keeps life interesting!

JacoS

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
LOL, Thats what keeps life interesting!

Youn are so right it keeps it interesting but it also keeps us humble, as stated it would be simpler to do it by just creating scoring categories on our own, but then again you would be sitting with 26 different white tail scores, very close to 4 impala scores in SA alone, as they are all different.

My very best.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
But we would all be Number 1!!

JacoS

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, IPHA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
:bonk: Should have thought of that!

My best always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldoBor

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J