Iron sights .375HH

Gareth

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South africa, Namibia, Hungary, Scotland,Czech Republic,Ireland
I recently picked up a sako 75 .375HH, the rifle doesn’t have iron sights, I do intend on hunting buffalo with the rifle, I have a 1-6x24 scope with QD mounts. I understand the advantage of Iron sights in thick bush where a close encounters is possible. My question before I send the rifle off to have express style iron sights installed.do any of you actually remove your scope before heading into the thick stuff? If a scope has a 1 power and red dot isn’t easier to line up a target with scope than iron sights? I was looking to get some real world advice, I am not sure if this question has come up before.

I don’t but that’s because of my eyesight with irons

I like having the option

I have an island mounted ghost ring on my .375. I have used it in the field. They are extremely fast and allow for three to four inch groups at 100 which is largely irrelevant for their intended purpose.

I should mention that my Lott and 9.3x62 have express sights. I find the ghost ring marginally faster.

I have a Ruger No1 375H&H with a Leica Magnus red dot 1-6 x 24 on it and a Verney Carron O/U 375 FL double with iron sights. The Verney is a perfect fit, mount, point, shoot, bull. In our various club DG shoots, including charging lion, the iron sights have outshot the scope. So my summary would be inside 60m or so iron sights, and beyond that scope. And for sure if things go pear shaped in a charge situation definitely iron sights. I shot my buff with the Ruger and the Leica scope at about 130m, no way is that a good idea with irons though. I have never had a charge for real, but the practice reinforced the message that instinct takes over to a degree and the closer you are in touch with the rapidly unfolding event before you the better the outcome. I swear i didn't even concentrate on the sights, but killed the lion every time nevertheless. My recommendation would be to get the iron sights fitted, then go and get the rifle fitted to you. I am no fan of plastic stocks, but if that is what it takes to pull this off, get it done - it could save the day.

You are right that the 1-6X24 with a red dot will function like a RMR sight when set at 1. That's the same scope I put on my 416 Rigby Big Game rifle. I would just leave your 375 as a scoped bolt rifle. It will be much more versatile than having only iron sights. You could use it on plains game out to 200 yards with the scope.

One thing that is not mentioned much is the balance and handling of a rifle with and without a scope. I shot competitively In various shotgun disciplines for years, so it may affect my POV. I find a rifle without a scope handles and points more naturally in fast, instinctive shooting situations. For me, the speed and natural handling have as great an impact as target acquisition alignment for a fast accurate shot at close range.

This topic/discussion is why I lurk here! Being a communist Chinese Flu victim (1st safari cancelled last month), i very much value hearing from those who have gotten to do. Thanks, Gents, for teaching us rookies these critical subtleties!

I recently picked up a sako 75 .375HH, the rifle doesn’t have iron sights, I do intend on hunting buffalo with the rifle, I have a 1-6x24 scope with QD mounts. I understand the advantage of Iron sights in thick bush where a close encounters is possible. My question before I send the rifle off to have express style iron sights installed.do any of you actually remove your scope before heading into the thick stuff? If a scope has a 1 power and red dot isn’t easier to line up a target with scope than iron sights? I was looking to get some real world advice, I am not sure if this question has come up before.

Depends if you are used to iron sights or not....if you aren't well practiced using them stick with the scope...but I would still get them fitted, as at least you have them as back up if something goes wrong with your scope
I don't posses a rifle that doesn't have iron sights on it

I hunted a leopard during my first African adventure, and shot him (legally) at around 9 PM. I was using a favorite .338 with a 1.5x10 scope securely attached with a fixed mount. Upon coming out of recoil, the cat was gone with grunts fading away to our left. My PH whispered into his radio, and we carefully sidestepped to the bait site keeping rifles generally pointed in the direction of the last grunts as the truck drove down with the trackers. The blood indicated that the cat had clearly taken off up a dry water course that was about four feet wide, waist deep, and overhung with acacia and black thorn. It was a blacker hole in the greater moonless dark. My PH and I stood side x side with the tracker right behind us. His arm extended between our shoulders holding a large flashlight. We then inched along looking for the cat. Other than praying the shot was where I thought it was, my only other thought was that my scoped .338 was about as useful as a club in that situation. My PH was carrying his double .470 with generous white bead. We took what seemed a half hour to go perhaps forty yards to where the ditch turned sharply. As we eased around the bend we nearly tripped over the cat that had died in mid stride. I have never gone back to Africa without dismountable optics.

My Sako .375 has the factory irons on it. My scope is a 1.75-6x Leupold with the heavy duplex reticle. I used the .375 as an all around rifle and as a back up to my .416 Ruger. The .416 wears a 1.5-5x Leupold with the heavy duplex and it has the factory express sight. In both cases I did some iron sight practice but to me they are strictly back up. The Rugers’ express sight is definitely faster to acquire than the Sako’s. However, as others have said, I think a 1-?x scope with an illuminated dot would be the quickest.
I am a big fan of ghost ring sights. My Ruger #1 in .458 Lott wears the same scope as the .416. The folding factory rear sight would be better than nothing as a back up, but I’d never want to face DG with it. Thus I replaced the front bead with a large white bead and have a NECG peep that I can attach after detaching the scope. It takes a screwdriver (Swiss army knife or multi-tool) but easily done. As the aperture disk locked the elevation, I modified it so the aperture can be removed and the elevation stays in place. This is very fast to acquire.

Having said I don’t take scope off all my dg rifles have iron sights which I have regulated while not wearing glasses and scopes are quick detach in case things go south including loss of said glasses.

Thank you for all the advice, I think it would be wise to install the iron sights and be properly prepared. I certainly wouldn’t like the idea of following up a leopard or any type dangerous game and feeling over exposed. I am going to looking into installing ghost ring sights.

I had NECG sights put on our Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. The stock sights were junk. Very happy with the NECG setup. My CZ550 came with great open sights as is.

I use swing off mounts on my 458 Win Mag...i have a white foresight fitted and love shooting close range with the iron sights.
I practice to 80m on the rang

My heavy rifles are fitted with flip up white beads (night sights) to cover the brass bead in low light and close quarter situations.

I feel (I have no first hand experience) that in charge. One would probably just look over the barrel and see the front sight. IMO a scope would be in the way. I guess I’m trying to say you wouldn’t take the time to line the sights up.
I have practiced like that with my slug gun, the sights are very similar to a Winchester safari express. And I don’t even see the back sight.

Verney's have that feature, I think most built doubles do these days, it is a real boon. Like with suits, the off-the-shelf doubles seem to be built to 'Mr Typical', and it pains me to say but I fit the mould. I am a gun shop addict and have hefted Chapuis, Verney's, Heyms and the sight picture is right on every time, just cheek weld and there it is. So I would say for me when the target is coming, or swinging, or running, i am really just pointing. I am shocked at how effective it seems to be.

My heavy rifles are fitted with flip up white beads (night sights) to cover the brass bead in low light and close quarter situations.
I have the white flip up on my rifle. I do not like it at all. Seems to get snagged when pulled out of the case and flipped up into position. It looked like the moon was at the end of my barrel when I pulled up on a baboon. Cost me the shot, lesson learned. Seemed like a good idea at the range, but real life for me is a no go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!