If You Lost Everything

I’d either buy a replacement R8 with 30-06/375 barrels or a Kreighoff Classic with .30-06/375/20gauge barrels

Hummm, I'd go in the opposite direction.

If my shot guns are gone, I'd look for replacements as they are old Rem M3200 Trap & Skeet.

My rifles? I'd find a couple old Rem 700's in 308 or 7-08 or 270 etc. to use for practice.

For hunting rifles, I'd take all of SIAI's Ins money and fly business class from now on, and use camp rifles, ONLY because traveling with rifles has become such a pain.

Reloading equipment, I'd shop around for some used RCBS or C-H stuff just to reload practice ammo with, also there's plenty used MEC shot shell equipment around.

All this is sort of like religion, politics and cars, "to each his own".

As a few others have mentioned: Blaser with multiple barrels: 30-06, 375 H&H plus a 22LR. 20 Gauge shotgun. I could hunt most anything anywhere in the world and the 22 is just fun to shoot and use for practice.

I think I would be tempted to try something different, something new that I haven't yet owned or fired before. The start of a new adventure. Maybe something like a nice double barrel SxS in maybe .450/.400 or .500/.416 or .....

A) 12 Gauge ( 3 “ Magnum ) Belgium made Janssen Freres Side Lock Ejector
B) E.J. Churchill 7x57mm Mauser
C) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum BRNO ZKK602

Yeah. These three and I’m good to go.

Assuming I could only choose from what is currently being manufactured, then:
A) 12 Gauge ( 3 “ Magnum ) Ignacio Zubillaga Side Lock Ejector
B) .300 Winchester Magnum Grulla Armas C95
C) .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Grulla Armas C95

Last edited:
I can use insurance money? A pair of pre-64 M70's in 300 and 375 h&h. call it for for anything anywhere
Latest update:
A good 5 inch 1911 45acp and a few cases of 230gr Black Talon. To protect my old body, y'know.
First rifle would be a MRC American Legend 30-06 with a Leupold 3-9x40 VXR Patrol scope and a bushel of my Barnes 180grTSX handloads.
Replacement Win 70 Safari Express 375HH with a Leupold 1-4x24 in QD rings and several hundred rounds of my Barnes 235gr TSX and 350gr TSX handloads.

List goes on but this is a start.

Over the years I bought stuff I wanted for different purposes then shot the piss out of them doing development in loads and myself. Built one wildecat 375 that was fun.
If all was suddenly gone and I was replacing I would have to re-evaluate what for as there would be no reason to replicate previous years.
I would likely reduce the number and buy higher quality. I no longer have illusions about dream hunts so would skip specialty calibers.
In 1989 I got burglarized and lost 6 handguns. It is a feeling like no other.
FYI everything locked up was still there.

A genuine Mauser Magnum action/rifle in 375 H&H. I'd use it for everything.

3FNhiSu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BLASER R8. Part of me thinks a few barrels, but if I lost everything, I wouldn't have the lifetime supply of 30-06 I now have, so I wouldn't have to have something to shoot it in. As I get older, I get simpler. I think a 375 barrel with a Z8i and a suppressed 22LR barrel to match. Maybe a second mounted scope with a bigger objective like x42 for lower light, but then again for not much more money I could just put an image intensifier in front of it. That would pretty much do it for me.

Well, not everything but, if you lost every rifle (along with ammo and reloading equipment) that you owned tonight (heaven forbid) due to fire, theft, etc. What would be the very first rifle that you would purchase to start rebuilding your perfect African Safari Rifle Battery?
- For me it would be a used mauser in 9.3x62.

You have a blank slate / You could look at this as your “if I could turn back time” moment.
@Randy Bo
The first I would get done is a,Savage in 35 Whelen.
I like mine that much it would be the first I had done but instead of a synthetic stock I would go a nice piece of walnut with some nice 24lpi checkering.
Bob

Well, not everything but, if you lost every rifle (along with ammo and reloading equipment) that you owned tonight (heaven forbid) due to fire, theft, etc. What would be the very first rifle that you would purchase to start rebuilding your perfect African Safari Rifle Battery?
- For me it would be a used mauser in 9.3x62.

You have a blank slate / You could look at this as your “if I could turn back time” moment.
My DR Champuis in 450-400 NE

Of all the things i have lost in my life....
it's my mind that i miss the most.
@PaulT
I lost mine years ago and don't really want it back otherwise I might change my mind to things I don't like. Like ballet, opera, golf and the 243.
God forbid if I ever liked any of those.

Is there a budget?

I don't own expensive rifles but I have traded up over time and have a few nice scopes.

If it's blank slate blank cheque, game on . Someone might talk me into a Blaser setup with the appropriate barrel s.

If this is an African battery and on par with what I have then I would need to replace my big bore CZ550 and I would need a PG rifle. Something classic would be nice.

If I lost my current functional collection of a dozen rifles and reloading gear I would want at least those replaced something s I might try upgrade or change brands/models.
@CBH
Chris you don't want to go down the R8 rabbit hole. You would spend more time wondering what barrel to put on the fool thing than hunting.
Just get 4 different calibers and top them with the best scope you want.
A nice titanium action with a carbon fibre stock and barrel typed with a nightforce scope in 280AI to stat with and work up and down in calibers.

4 Glock Gen 5 Model 19s
4 Daniel Defense DDM4 V11's.
One is none, two is one and four is better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg