Ideal distance for a Cape Buffalo first shot..

The answer is where you are comfortable placing your first shot in the kill zone. Given i have bought and shot many doubles and shot four cape buff with them I would do the following: 1. Start at 50 yards off sticks. Once you are placing all your shots in the kill zone move back to 75 yards and try the same. Make sure you practice shooting off hand at 25 yards. All my buff were taken within 50 yards and most everyone on here will tell you the same

I agree with gillettehunter and rare breed - I’d say 30-50 yards is ideal. If its in a group, I may not want to be closer than 30 yards, depending on the situation.

Bruce is spot on, closer the better. I dont know to many PH that will let a new client take a shot over 50 on a buffalo.

Closer the better.

Though not with a double closest shot on a buffalo has been under 10yds and furthest was about 45yds.

More to it than just the distance......
Sighting system used, caliber, bullet, undesturbed broadside, alert frontal, hunters ability and competance.

Seventy-five yards is usually the max. Most PHs want clients shooting at fifty yards.

I did take my first one at 100 meters. Frontal shot in the heart. It was late in the afternoon too. Later that year I questioned my PH on the range. That's when he told me the lodge generally requires seventy meters or less. But the lodge owner was along and didn't say anything. PH said they were confident I could do the job ... even with a strange gun. Glad it worked out. I'm afraid their confidence may have been shaken during the rest of the safari. I didn't put on a great show kudu hunting.

First was about 60, second around 80, third about 35.

I always shoot a couple of warthogs or impala with my double before going for the buffalo. The shots are usually around the 80 mark and work really well to both ‘get the eye’ in and increase one’s confidence should a longer shot be required.

That said, I think I got more satisfaction doing the double with the double - left and right both taking out a warthog with classic double speed.

FN

A lot depends on the experience of the client. I have posted here before that the only thing that really frightens my now old friend in Mozambique is a client out for his first buffalo with an iron-sighted double. But yes, closer is almost always better. There are places, however, where getting inside fifty yards may not happen in a week or ten-days of hunting. The marshes of the Caprivi or Zambezi Delta are two that come immediately to mind.

Mine were:

70-80 Caprivi
70 Zambezi Delta
70 Zambezi Delta
25-30 Limpopo

Last edited:
Dangerous game isn’t dangerous at 100 yards.

30-70 yards would be ideal, and I’d opt for 50ish given the choice.

As @Rare Breed said…practice. Practice a lot! Dry fire, live fire and as many positions as possible. Off sticks, improvised supports, with a sling, without a sling and off-hand.

Wondering what is the ideal distance to take the first shot using a double?

Above all, it depends on the distance at which your DR is regulated. The old British big bore DR were often regulated at 30 yards. A little later and especially the double rifles built by gunmakers of the continent of the continent were it at 50m. All of this means that it was assumed that shooting on big game takes place well below 100 yards.

Above all, it depends on the distance at which your DR is regulated. The old British big bore DR were often regulated at 30 yards. A little later and especially the double rifles built by gunmakers of the continent of the continent were it at 50m. All of this means that it was assumed that shooting on big game takes place well below 100 yards.
I agree, based on the feedback I'm aiming for 30 yards (ideal) to a 50 yards max. I feel off sticks and iron sights anything beyond this is difficult to shoot and shoot well aiming for the vitals.

None of the British rifles I have owned were regulated at that distance - the bullets would be crossing at fifty. Rigby, with no other guidance from the client, regulates its Rising Bite at 65 with bullets crossing no sooner than 85-100. That is the traditional distance. Most modern non-bespoke doubles will come with a 50 meter test target.

My circa 1900 Suhl 9.3x74R and circa 1910 William Evans Paradox 12 bore both shoot 4-shot LxR-LxR groups under 3 inches at 100 yards. My William Douglas .470, which replicates a classic PH rifle in every way, shoots sub 3.5 inch four shot groups at 70 yards. My Blasers are admittedly a different technology, but they easily manage sub 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Douglas 470
double2.jpg

The first two shots five years ago from the Douglas at 70 yards with a full bead hold. 6 o'clock cuts the red bull. It does the same with DGS.
double4.jpg

Suhl 9.3
double3.jpg

Evans Paradox
double.jpg

Last edited:
None of the British rifles I have owned were regulated at that distance - the bullets would be crossing at fifty. Rigby, with no other guidance from the client, regulates its Rising Bite at 65 with bullets crossing no sooner than 85-100. That is the traditional distance. Most modern non-bespoke doubles will come with a 50 meter test target.

My circa 1900 Suhl 9.3x74R and circa 1910 William Evans Paradox 12 bore both shoot 4-shot LxR-LxR groups under 3 inches at 100 yards. My William Douglas .470, which replicates a classic PH rifle in every way, shoots sub 3.5 inch four shot groups at 70 yards. My Blasers are admittedly a different technology, but they easily manage sub 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Douglas 470
View attachment 605285
The first two shots five years ago from the Douglas at 70 yards with a full bead hold. 6 o'clock cuts the red bull. It does the same with DGS.
View attachment 605289

Suhl 9.3
View attachment 605284

Evans Paradox
View attachment 605286

I should have better written 30m because my old DR caliber 577 Nitro Express from Webley & Scott is regulated exactly to 40 yards. I tested it on a benchrest. But it can shoot at longer distance when necessary.

A picture with a hit at 200m.

Scannen 7.jpeg

I like 35 yards with a double or any big bore with express sights, closer the better. I've taken a buff with 500 jeff at 35yrds , it was the coolest experience yet. Somewhere around that distance I would guess keeps most guys that have worked with their rifle somewhat confident.

Depends…. If you are hunting with scoped rifle 100 +/- yards is ok specially if the buff is out in the open and vitals are clearly visible.
If you’re hunting with iron sights you have to get under 50-60 yards.. closer the better specially if the buff is partially obsecured.
It’s always easier to get closer and maneuver around a single dugga boy then a herd of animals so depending on the situation and the terrain one type of weapon might be better than the other one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KendraMcKe

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani