I need help..

It was mentioned earlier of an 11lb limit. Is that in regards to rifle and ammo weight?

My advised is simple. Buy a Blaser R8 or Sauer 404 rifle. You can interchange the barrels. You can take one receiver and a couple different barrels. If you need to put on a larger or smaller barrel in the field it takes about 3 minutes .

My advised is simple. Buy a Blaser R8 or Sauer 404 rifle. You can interchange the barrels. You can take one receiver and a couple different barrels. If you need to put on a larger or smaller barrel in the field it takes about 3 minutes .

Or a SAKO 100, unless you need a caliber great than 375 H&H.

Okay gentlemen,

I am going to go on my first African Hunt in 2025. Primary Species of interest are Kudu, Gemsbok, different Antelope species, Zebra,Warthog and possibly Red Hardebeest. I've reached out to a few Outfitters and waiting to see prices. Wouldn't mind going to Namibia, I was recommended to stay away from SA. I'm looking at a few Calibers for my first African Caliber rifle. Considering 416 Rigby, 375H&H, and 9.3x62. I've been told 9.3x62 isn't allowed for DG in many African countries. I'm not sure if I'll ever hunt DG due to the substantial price increase from PG. Out of the 3 calibers, which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the 416 Rigby because it can be used on DG and on down if loaded properly. I do not reload as of yet, but I know people that do. I've found a Ruger RSM Mark II in brand new condition for $3,200.. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on pros and cons for each Caliber! I'm not recoil sensitive so that's not an issue.. LOL
Definitely .375 in your situation. It truly is the do all rifle.

If you are coming to Namibia there is no minimum caliber requirement for DG, but you need a minimum of 5 400 Joules (3 980 ft*lb) at the muzzle. I speak under correction, but I don't think the 9.3x62 achieves this with standard loads. Take the 375 and hunt everything, more than enough for PG and capable enough and proven for DG with suitable bullets.

I have a 30 Nosler.. But the scope is to big for Africa. I have a 5-25x56 Vortex Strike Eagle in FFP. The cost of 30 Nosler ammo is on par with the bigger calibers as well. Went from $75/box of 20 to now $135/box of 20

You can buy a lot of things you don't need or run what you have.

Does your scope have more magnification than required yes, will it hurt you? Probably not, you can focus down to 15 yards with that scope if I remember correctly. Spend money on some ammo and shoot off of sticks.

Spend your money on animals, you will have time to get more gear after your first trip.

You can buy a lot of things you don't need or run what you have.

Does your scope have more magnification than required yes, will it hurt you? Probably not, you can focus down to 15 yards with that scope if I remember correctly. Spend money on some ammo and shoot off of sticks.

Spend your money on animals, you will have time to get more gear after your first trip.
That sounds like a great plan! I definitely need to get some shooting sticks to practice with

Like others have said, take the 375 H&H. I took my 375 H&H with 300 grs Barns TSX, and I shot everything from Warthog, Bushbuck to Kudu and some of the shots were pushing 280 yds and didn't feel like I was handicap in anyway.

My experience with red hartebeest has been in South Africa, way up in the mountains where things open up and cover is scarce. They were cagey as could be! From that standpoint, the capability to take longer shots is nice, although with a good PH they will get you to the distance you need to make a good shot regardless. A 375 will do all you need if you’re comfortable shooting it, and can sure reach out there if you know your gun.

Also, I wouldn’t have any reservations about hunting South Africa, specifically the eastern cape, just do your research on the outfitter first. I’ve gone three times with @KAROO WILD Safaris (a sponsor on here) and had some truly fantastic hunting (and planning another hunt soon again hopefully!). The animals are definitely wild and a challenge to hunt, the concessions are very large and where I’ve gone there isn’t hunting competition so the animals are very much in their natural environment. Far from shooting fish in a barrel!

Back to the original post, he doesn't have a 375 but was looking at some larger calibers for his hunt.

He does have a 30 Nosler which will be quite fine for the animals that he has on his list, so he really doesn't need to purchase a new rifle.

His rifle a 30 Nosler would be a very good choice, it has more power than a 300 Win mag and will be quite capable to take any of the animals on his list.

Back to the original post, he doesn't have a 375 but was looking at some larger calibers for his hunt.

He does have a 30 Nosler which will be quite fine for the animals that he has on his list, so he really doesn't need to purchase a new rifle.

His rifle a 30 Nosler would be a very good choice, it has more power than a 300 Win mag and will be quite capable to take any of the animals on his list.
Thanks for helping out gentlemen! My 30 Nosler does need to get some blood under its belt..

I have hunted with KMG 2 times and can highly recommend Marius and his operation. I have hunt reports from both hunts.

Your .30 Nosler would be fine for everything you intend to hunt, but I would change scopes, if I was going to use that rifle.

If you want another rifle, especially for Africa, but never plan to hunt DG, I would suggest something in .35 Whalen, .338 Win Mag, .340 Weatherby Mag, or .375 H&H on the largest end.

For a scope, I would recommend:
2-7
2-10
3-9
3.5-10

Within your budget, if I were going to buy an all new outfit, I would get either:

- Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in .338 Winchester Magnum with a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10X42 DUPLEX

- Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H with the same scope

Or look at a .340 Weatherby, with a similar scope.

If DG were never going to be in the mix, I would opt for a .338 Win or a .340 Weatherby. They would both be more practical than a .375 for plains game. As would your .30, with a lower powered scope.

Your .30 Nosler would be fine for everything you intend to hunt, but I would change scopes, if I was going to use that rifle.

If you want another rifle, especially for Africa, but never plan to hunt DG, I would suggest something in .35 Whalen, .338 Win Mag, .340 Weatherby Mag, or .375 H&H on the largest end.

For a scope, I would recommend:
2-7
2-10
3-9
3.5-10

Within your budget, if I were going to buy an all new outfit, I would get either:

- Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in .338 Winchester Magnum with a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10X42 DUPLEX

- Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 H&H with the same scope

Or look at a .340 Weatherby, with a similar scope.

If DG were never going to be in the mix, I would opt for a .338 Win or a .340 Weatherby. They would both be more practical than a .375 for plains game. As would your .30, with a lower powered scope.
I do plan to hunt Cape Buffalo at some point.. Just not sure when

I'm in the Nosler camp. Have hunted Africa with the 26, 28 and last year a 30-28 which is an expanded neck 28 case. Last two hunts were cull hunts, 22 animals with the 28 in 2021 and 30 animals with the 30-28 in 2022. The latter was with a Trijicon 10 mile in 5-30x56 but I did very little walk and stalk and no mountain climbing. The 30 with the 200 has more than enough juice for any of your animals out to extended distances. Your rifle is setup similar to mine where I can shoot from a sitting position on the ground using the bipod. I use a quick detachable unit and a forearm mounted picatinny rail so I can switch from sticks to the bipod.
As others have noted, line up an outfitter that will give you the type of hunt you prefer and go from there when determining which scope to use. If it's all bushveld to 300 or less, a 2-7 or a 3-9 will suffice. Also ask about types of sticks used, whether they are two leg, three leg or Rudolphs. Enjoy the planning but be forewarned, Africa is an addiction with no known cure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg