I need help..

Here is a picture of my living room. This is the highest area in my house. Pretty sure to the peak is 10ft or so

Screenshot_20230312_201909_Photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay gentlemen,

I am going to go on my first African Hunt in 2025. Primary Species of interest are Kudu, Gemsbok, different Antelope species, Zebra,Warthog and possibly Red Hardebeest. I've reached out to a few Outfitters and waiting to see prices. Wouldn't mind going to Namibia, I was recommended to stay away from SA. I'm looking at a few Calibers for my first African Caliber rifle. Considering 416 Rigby, 375H&H, and 9.3x62. I've been told 9.3x62 isn't allowed for DG in many African countries. I'm not sure if I'll ever hunt DG due to the substantial price increase from PG. Out of the 3 calibers, which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the 416 Rigby because it can be used on DG and on down if loaded properly. I do not reload as of yet, but I know people that do. I've found a Ruger RSM Mark II in brand new condition for $3,200.. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on pros and cons for each Caliber! I'm not recoil sensitive so that's not an issue.. LOL
If you need to borrow a rifle, you can borrow my Ruger No. 1 Tropical in 450/400 NE. I have a Leupold Firedot duplex on it....can't remember the power. Just an option. Serious offer. I bought it from a guy on Gunbroker, who is an inactive AH member. He sent me pics of the cape buffalo he killed with it. Just feed her while you have her, take a pic with it and whatever you kill, and send it back, is all I ask.
20230309_201557.jpg

If you need to borrow a rifle, you can borrow my Ruger No. 1 Tropical in 450/400 NE. I have a Leupold Firedot duplex on it....can't remember the power. Just an option. Serious offer. I bought it from a guy on Gunbroker, who is an inactive AH member. He sent me pics of the cape buffalo he killed with it. Just feed her while you have her, take a pic with it and whatever you kill, and send it back, is all I ask.View attachment 522525
VERY much appreciated good sir! I'll send ya a message if I would need it. Thank you so much.

If you are hunting in the Eastern Cape area of South Africa you will feel like you are hunting elk and mule deer.

Last June when I was hunting with Frontier Safaris my shots ranged anywhere from 30 yards to close to 400 yards. On the longer shots there was no real way to get closer, they were more like cross canyon shots.

I suspect you will want a shoulder mount or two once you see your animal in the field. My only caution about such things is the cost. It adds up fast, especially with getting them back home. But, I have not regretted any of mine despite the sticker shock.

Chat with your PH about the scope. I suspect a 5x would work in a pinch but you may want a lower magnification because the shots are not that far. Some shots can be quite close actually.

If you are hunting in the Eastern Cape area of South Africa you will feel like you are hunting elk and mule deer.

Last June when I was hunting with Frontier Safaris my shots ranged anywhere from 30 yards to close to 400 yards. On the longer shots there was no real way to get closer, they were more like cross canyon shots.
Dang!! I really wish I could get over there and do some scouting.. LOL

So would the base at 5X be to much for brush hunting?
I had a 1.5-5 Leupold on my 375 during my Zimbabwe hunt. Shots were 25-75 yards I don’t remember taking scope off 5x. However, I don’t think you’ll be happy with a 5-25x56 on a general plainsgame hunt. I think the 2-7, 3-9, 4-12 advice you were given was good advice.

Rgr that. For sure! I bought it with brass, dies, and 40 factories, so it's on standby if you need it!
Same goes for all you gentlemen! I live in Yuma, AZ and my wife and I have a 4 bedroom/2 bathroom house with a full guest bedroom setup. You guy's are more than welcome to come hunt Javelina, Coyote, Quail. Dove, Jack Rabbit, Fox and Bobcat!

Screenshot_20230312_203313_Photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang!! I really wish I could get over there and do some scouting.. LOL
That's why you have a PH. They can size up a African animal quicker than most of us can size up a elk. Plus they usually know the hunting area quite well.

That's why you have a PH. They can size up a African animal quicker than most of us can size up a elk. Plus they usually know the hunting area quite well.
Sweet! Have any of you guy's hunted with KMG Safaris or Frontier Safaris?

I hunted with Frontier last year. They are a A grade outfitter and their 10 day package can't be beat.

I hunted with Frontier last year. They are a A grade outfitter and their 10 day package can't be beat.
I'll have to check them out! I can't wait to get over there!! I've wanted to go to Africa for many years.

Seems like their SA package has a wider variety of game compared to their Namibia package?

You need to contact Phillip Glass on the forum here.

He tries to set up salaries for the first time hunter to South Africa with Frontier Salaries. I went over with his group last year and while I had hunted in South Africa before it was with a different outfitter.

He may be setting one up for early summer in 2024. We left the US the end of May so if he is doing it again next year you'll have your group. I had only met one of the other hunters but we all had something in common once we got to the lodge.

You need to contact Phillip Glass on the forum here.

He tries to set up salaries for the first time hunter to South Africa with Frontier Salaries. I went over with his group last year and while I had hunted in South Africa before it was with a different outfitter.

He may be setting one up for early summer in 2024. We left the US the end of May so if he is doing it again next year you'll have your group. I had only met one of the other hunters but we all had something in common once we got to the lodge.
I sent Philip a message

Search the forum and you'll come up with lots of references - both highly regarded and you won't go wrong with either.

Adding my 2 SA cents - while I hear you on your reservations about SA hunting and the image of high fenced, 'artificial' hunting I do think it's a serious consideration for the first timer to Africa. You have the greatest choice of flights in, a huge variety of terrain and species to hunt (I would argue the greatest variety of all of Southern Africa) and probably the greatest number of outfitters to choose from.

In terms of scope and calibre, a 30 cal will be fine for PG and if you want more than enough gun, I would not larger than a 338. You want a premium bullet doing less than 3000f/s at the muzzle - most importantly bring a rifle that you have mastered and can reliably shoot accurately from various field positions, including tripod sticks.
A scope somewhere in the order of 2.5-15 is fine. I would avoid anything more than 20x magnification and an objective lens no greater than 50mm. Light conditions are generally good here. You don't need a portable version of the Hubble telescope

My 2cent worth. Take the rifle you have for pg. With the money you save from not forking out for another rifle you might be able to add to your wish list.
As for your room and mounts. You might need to trim the horns! Or your fan will do it for you:LOL:
Good luck on your hunt Namibia is a great country. If you have 10 days spare at the start end add on a road trip. If you pm me I’ll sort you a good itinerary.

I like RSA because the country offers so much for the traveling sportsman. They have done a great job developing their wildlife populations. And, it is an easy country to move around in.

I have hunted with @KMG Hunting Safaris twice. I did a big family trip in 2016 where my father (then 80 years old), my two teenage boys, and I hunted. There were two other non-hunters. It was a very memorable trip. My father had some physical limitations. Marius was able to give us all a fantastic hunt.

I went back with Marius again in 2022 with my youngest son. We hunted in the mountains, which was hard, and where there wasn't a fence anywhere that I recall. And we also hunted on working farms like you would see in North America. So, I trust Marius to understand what I am looking for and get me to where the animals are.

Traveling overseas to hunt was something outside of my experience, and it was intimidating. My budget is more modest than some too. But, now I see RSA as a home base to explore other safari experiences. There are areas of that country that I want to see. I am also considering going to other countries. I will seek Marius' advice for either, as I trust him. And that takes away a bit of stress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross