I need help..

Ryeboy86

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Okay gentlemen,

I am going to go on my first African Hunt in 2025. Primary Species of interest are Kudu, Gemsbok, different Antelope species, Zebra,Warthog and possibly Red Hardebeest. I've reached out to a few Outfitters and waiting to see prices. Wouldn't mind going to Namibia, I was recommended to stay away from SA. I'm looking at a few Calibers for my first African Caliber rifle. Considering 416 Rigby, 375H&H, and 9.3x62. I've been told 9.3x62 isn't allowed for DG in many African countries. I'm not sure if I'll ever hunt DG due to the substantial price increase from PG. Out of the 3 calibers, which would you recommend? I'm leaning towards the 416 Rigby because it can be used on DG and on down if loaded properly. I do not reload as of yet, but I know people that do. I've found a Ruger RSM Mark II in brand new condition for $3,200.. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on pros and cons for each Caliber! I'm not recoil sensitive so that's not an issue.. LOL

Congratulations on your first hunt! If you are SURE you aren't going to hunt dangerous game, I would recommend either the 9.3 or a 7x57. It's much cheaper to shoot (and you can practice more), less punishing on the shoulder, and you can bring more with you to Africa. DG rounds are large and heavy. It adds up quickly to the 11 pound max weight. You will want extra ammo. You never know what animal appears that you suddenly want that you hadn't planned to originally hunt.

I believe the conventional wisdom is that 375HH is the best all-round cartridge for Africa.

416 rigby is great, but unnecessary for PG if you have a 375HH. Remember, 375HH is legal and enough gun for DG too.

I personally would recommend against European calibers due to availability. 375HH is available in factory ammo and will be available at any outfitting store in Namibia or RSA. The European calibers... hit or miss.

You don't need any of the three calibers for the game you listed.

I've shot all of your listed game with a 300WSM or the outfitter's 270Win. The 300WSM counted coup on a bull eland.

A 270, 280, 308, 30-06 300mag (any variety) is all you need.

While the Ruger RSM Mark II 416 Rigby would be a very good, very desirable rifle, I think that price is way too high, unless a very good scope is included in the price. Even in Canada, those rifles run $2000-2500 Canadian dollars. They should go for less in the USA.

Curious why you've been warned off of South Africa. Nothing wrong with Namibia, but if you select a quality RSA outfitter, there is nothing wrong with South Africa.

Most hunting in both nations is behind game proof fences.

In April, I'm heading on my third trip to the same outfitter in the Eastern Cape. I've enjoyed the outfitter/PH, he's like a friend/brother to me and the hunting has been great. If interested, I can give more details on Hotfire Safaris. https://www.hotfire.co.za/

Last edited:
Also, if just PG is the goal, I'm always a fan of the 300WM. Works on all PG up to and including giraffe.
I have a 30 Nosler.. But the scope is to big for Africa. I have a 5-25x56 Vortex Strike Eagle in FFP. The cost of 30 Nosler ammo is on par with the bigger calibers as well. Went from $75/box of 20 to now $135/box of 20

I used a 270 on all the game you have on your list - plenty of gun with premium bullet and good shot placement. I’m a big fan of 30-06 and 300 win as well - if hunting areas with longer shots or eland on the list I’d lean towards a 300 win.
if you are just wanting a new rifle / caliber I’d go for the 375 - excellent round. The RSM you mentioned is way overpriced

You don't need any of the three calibers for the game you listed.

I've shot all of your listed game with a 300WSM or the outfitter's 270Win. The 300WSM counted coup on a bull eland.

A 270, 280, 308, 30-06 300mag (any variety) is all you need.

While the Ruger RSM Mark II 416 Rigby would be a very good, very desirable rifle, I think that price is way too high, unless a very good scope is included in the price. Even in Canada, those rifles run $2000-2500 Canadian dollars. They should go for less in the USA.

Curious why you've been warned off of South Africa. Nothing wrong with Namibia, but if you select a quality RSA outfitter, there is nothing wrong with South Africa.

Most hunting in both nations is behind game proof fences.

In April, I'm heading on my third trip to the same outfitter in the Eastern Cape. I've enjoyed the outfitter/PH, he's like a friend/brother to me and the hunting has been great. If interested, I can give more details on Hotfire Safaris. https://www.hotfire.co.za/
I was told that it's law in SA to have high game fences. I'd love to do spot and stalk hunting and not see any high fences.

For that particular hunt, I think you should take a 30 caliber. If you’re buying for a future hunt 375 H&H is the most versatile rifle. Legal for dangerous game everywhere, ammo widely available, easy to shoot. I shoot both 250 grain TTSX bullets and 300 grain bonded bullets from mine depending on situation. It’s an extremely versatile rifle with a scope.

I used a 270 on all the game you have on your list - plenty of gun with premium bullet and good shot placement. I’m a big fan of 30-06 and 300 win as well - if hunting areas with longer shots or eland on the list I’d lean towards a 300 win.
if you are just wanting a new rifle / caliber I’d go for the 375 - excellent round. The RSM you mentioned is way overpriced
I'm glad I reached out! I was told by a few guy's that that price is on par for today's market.. It is new old stock with original box and manuals.. I was getting ready to pull the trigger in it.. So should I put a LPVO on my 30 Nosler and use it? It does shoot 200gr Accubonds quite well

I was told that it's law in SA to have high game fences. I'd love to do spot and stalk hunting and not see any high fences.
That’s not true. It does allow them private ownership of game and year round hunting season compared to shorter more restrictive free range hunting season. I think only June and July?. The game is listed is all native to Namibia and would be the better choice for what you want particularly gemsbok. Their season fenced or not is February-November and many of the species you listed are widely available there free range/low fence.

That’s not true. It does allow them private ownership of game and year round hunting season compared to shorter more restrictive free range hunting season. I think only June and July?. The game is listed is all native to Namibia and would be the better choice for what you want particularly gemsbok. Their season fenced or not is February-November and many of the species you listed are widely available there free range/low fence.
What month's are better to hunt in? I live in Yuma, AZ so heat doesn't bother me. Also, if anyone wants to go! Let me know! I'd love to hunt with a good group of guys. My wife doesn't want me to go alone. She's not a hunter either.. LOL

With the proper outfitter you will never think that you are in a high fence area and most all animals can be taken by spotting and then stalking closer

On your scope, why do you feel that it is too large? I used a 3.5-10x40 on both of my hunts

On going with someone, contact Phillip Glass on the forum here. He might be setting up another group hunt in South Africa and Frontier Safaries

With the proper outfitter you will never think that you are in a high fence area and most all animals can be taken by spotting and then stalking closer

On your scope, why do you feel that it is too large? I used a 3.5-10x40 on both of my hunts
I use either a 3-9x or a 2-7x on PG... some guys will use a 4-12x... anything more than that is a bit of a waste...

50% of shots will be inside 100 yards... the other half will be between 100-200... but the vast majority will be 100-150... shots over 150 are pretty uncommon on most species.. (This text is from someone thatI met on here)

The are a lot of misconceptions about the game fences in RSA. The law requires landowners who have wild animals to have fences. I believe the idea originally was to prevent interference with regular farm properties (I could be mistaken, but that's my understanding). So, yes, there are fences. But, no, not like people think. The acreage that has been rewilded is just too massive. It has more to do with the area hunted by the PH you choose than the fact there are fences if that makes sense.

In any event, I am sure you will have a great time in Namibia or RSA. I am equally confident a 30 Cal will be just fine. I am certain you need a new rifle because it would be uncouth to go on your first trip to Africa and not get one ;) I suggest a variable scope 2.5 - xx

What month's are better to hunt in? I live in Yuma, AZ so heat doesn't bother me. Also, if anyone wants to go! Let me know! I'd love to hunt with a good group of guys. My wife doesn't want me to go alone. She's not a hunter either.. LOL
The peak season is May-August. May would be great to take advantage of kudu rut. I like September and October once peak season is over for the flexibility. You may also consider looking into Botswana, very similar opportunities to Namibia.

The peak season is May-August. May would be great to take advantage of kudu rut. I like September and October once peak season is over for the flexibility. You may also consider looking into Botswana, very similar opportunities to Namibia.
I reached out to KMG Safaris.. I'm hoping to hear back soon! I'll most likely be doing Euro Mounts and getting the hides tanned. Not sure if I have enough room for shoulder mounts

I use either a 3-9x or a 2-7x on PG... some guys will use a 4-12x... anything more than that is a bit of a waste...

50% of shots will be inside 100 yards... the other half will be between 100-200... but the vast majority will be 100-150... shots over 150 are pretty uncommon on most species.. (This text is from someone thatI met on here)
That really depends on area you’re hunting. Most of my shots in Namibia have been between 100-250. My longest was just under 350.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!