I am a Hunter

Hello and welcome Tony! Glad to have you aboard.
Here are a few of my thoughts on reasonable expectations based on my own experiences and many related to me by others.

Prompt and clear communication before, during and after the hunt. Within reason of course. Understand sometimes comms are difficult or PH is out hunting. A reasonable client will understand this, however extended radio silence or less than concise answers tend to make clients nervous.

Staff and PH prepared for client(s). This may sound a bit odd, but let me explain. If a client (especially a group) has communicated a desire for both night and day hunting, provisions should have been made for a tracker/skinner to be “on duty” in the middle of the night to skin animals taken at night. I have seen it become an issue when the skinners worked all day and then client(s) hunting at night have animals that need skinning. Skinners may be less than thrilled at working night and day. Make a plan before hand.

I have made two trips to SA and one to Zim. All 3 were great and all were very different. I enjoyed all three and have no regrets. However, I would offer the following advice to some/most outfits in SA. Get off the damn truck! I didn’t come all this way and spend a lot of money to ride around in a truck all day. No problem with some truck hunting, we need to cover some ground. Hunting for night animals, sure. We going to hunt from the truck. All well and good, but I go hunting to experience nature, see the flora and fauna, and have an experience. I expect to sweat and these Courtneys ain’t cheap. I didn’t buy ‘em as a fashion statement. I find that a hard earned trophy (regardless of size) is much more rewarding when sweat and boot leather has been expended, not diesel fuel.

Care of trophies - Please take good care of my capes and make sure skinners are well trained. I have a few friends who are taxidermists. I hear a lot about african trophies. 7 out of 10 (I am told) are sub-par, either skinning skill or care immediately afterward is sometimes lacking.

Remember! You asked! :D So, there you have it, 3 of my observations which I hope may be useful.
My best and happy hunting (y)
By the way, I have heard a lot of good things about your operation. Keep up the good work.

Hi Tony, glad you joined AH We met a few years back at Salt Lake City and you gave me some advice on hunting civet and honey badger with a bow, thanks!
Thanks for remembering me, hope you got at least one? Would love to hear you memories of that Safari.

Hello and welcome Tony! Glad to have you aboard.
Here are a few of my thoughts on reasonable expectations based on my own experiences and many related to me by others.

Prompt and clear communication before, during and after the hunt. Within reason of course. Understand sometimes comms are difficult or PH is out hunting. A reasonable client will understand this, however extended radio silence or less than concise answers tend to make clients nervous.

Staff and PH prepared for client(s). This may sound a bit odd, but let me explain. If a client (especially a group) has communicated a desire for both night and day hunting, provisions should have been made for a tracker/skinner to be “on duty” in the middle of the night to skin animals taken at night. I have seen it become an issue when the skinners worked all day and then client(s) hunting at night have animals that need skinning. Skinners may be less than thrilled at working night and day. Make a plan before hand.

I have made two trips to SA and one to Zim. All 3 were great and all were very different. I enjoyed all three and have no regrets. However, I would offer the following advice to some/most outfits in SA. Get off the damn truck! I didn’t come all this way and spend a lot of money to ride around in a truck all day. No problem with some truck hunting, we need to cover some ground. Hunting for night animals, sure. We going to hunt from the truck. All well and good, but I go hunting to experience nature, see the flora and fauna, and have an experience. I expect to sweat and these Courtneys ain’t cheap. I didn’t buy ‘em as a fashion statement. I find that a hard earned trophy (regardless of size) is much more rewarding when sweat and boot leather has been expended, not diesel fuel.

Care of trophies - Please take good care of my capes and make sure skinners are well trained. I have a few friends who are taxidermists. I hear a lot about african trophies. 7 out of 10 (I am told) are sub-par, either skinning skill or care immediately afterward is sometimes lacking.

Remember! You asked! :D So, there you have it, 3 of my observations which I hope may be useful.
My best and happy hunting (y)
By the way, I have heard a lot of good things about your operation. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for meaning full feedback, I think we as Hunting outfitters must listen and understand our clients needs. Thanks again.

Hi Tony, welcome to AH !

Thanks for meaning full feedback, I think we as Hunting outfitters must listen and understand our clients needs. Thanks again.
In 17 African hunts I've had only a couple of outfitters ask me what they could do better and how they could improve.

Publish prices and rates, includes and excludes on your websites.
I don't understand why many outfitters don't make this information public.

If you're going to tell me anyway, why not make it available from the start?
It's one of the most important aspects to many hunters so make it clear from the outset.

Why should you get my business if you can't be up front with your prices and why should I have to ask for them and then wait and wait and not get a reply.
I don't bother with outfitters who don't publish prices any more.

Answer enquiries. I have made four in the last three weeks and only had one reply.
Guess which outfitters won't be getting my business.

This is in general of course, not aimed at Tony. I haven't looked at his website or made any enquiry to him.

I like this.

I think over communicating is a good goal. Technology today makes it easier to accomplish this goal. (y)

Hi Tony, glad you joined AH We met a few years back at Salt Lake City and you gave me some advice on hunting civet and honey badger with a bow, thanks!
Hoped the advice worked and that ypou had a great Safari.

Tony, I've had some very good hunts but so far have struck out on civet and honey badger, am thinking of giving it another try this year!

Welcome to AH Tony! We look forward to you sharing your stories!

However, I would offer the following advice to some/most outfits in SA. Get off the damn truck! I didn’t come all this way and spend a lot of money to ride around in a truck all day. No problem with some truck hunting, we need to cover some ground. Hunting for night animals, sure. We going to hunt from the truck. All well and good, but I go hunting to experience nature, see the flora and fauna, and have an experience. I expect to sweat and these Courtneys ain’t cheap. I didn’t buy ‘em as a fashion statement. I find that a hard earned trophy (regardless of size) is much more rewarding when sweat and boot leather has been expended, not diesel fuel.

THIS right here!!!

I don't understand why many outfitters don't make this information public.

If you're going to tell me anyway, why not make it available from the start?
It's one of the most important aspects to many hunters so make it clear from the outset.

Why should you get my business if you can't be up front with your prices and why should I have to ask for them and then wait and wait and not get a reply.
I don't bother with outfitters who don't publish prices any more.

Answer enquiries. I have made four in the last three weeks and only had one reply.
Guess which outfitters won't be getting my business.

This is in general of course, not aimed at Tony. I haven't looked at his website or made any enquiry to him.

+1

Welcome to AH!

Hello, And welcome, Tony. I look forward to reading your posts. One of my pet peeves is outfitters who don't post their trophy fees on their website. If I'm going to lay out big bucks for a hunt, I want to know what it"s going to cost me so I can adjust my list of trophies. Sounds like you have a great operation. Good luck.

Welcome to AH, Tony!

Welcome to AH Tony! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Welcome to AH,

This may sound silly but warm plates and coffee cups, nothing cools of hot food faster than a cold plate. During your winter months make sure your plates and cups are warmed before setting them out for your clients to use.

Have a good shooting bench with a proper chair or stool and sandbag to check or zero firearms. I could zero my rifle off of a folding table with a tire on it for a weight / rest while sitting in a folding chair but I don't, I go to a range with a solid shooting bench, sturdy benches and multiple sand bags to allow me to support the front and rear of my rifle. After investing thousands of dollars and travelling thousands of miles I'd really like to make sure my rifle is still zeroed before start my hunt. Once my zero is verified I'll move to the shooting sticks so my PH can assess my shooting skills.

These may seam like small thing but they are thing we notice and remember. Eating breakfast and checking the zeros on our rifles are some of the very first things we do at your camp so why not put your best foot forward. Its the details that separate good from great and your clients first impression usually lasts the longest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg