AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
I never hear much about hyenas taken on safari. I know browns can't be imported to the US, but is there anywhere I could get a spotted along with plains game? I Don't know why, but I think those ugly critters are kinda cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
We tried for one in Zimbabwe but struck out... They can be very challenging! Here is a blip from my recent RSA hunt report where I got one;

So our planned strategy was to go there each morning and evening and return to the main camp to eat and hunt buffalo mid day. We were also going to try for hyena after dark and were successful in getting them to come in to our bait number two.

To step back a bit, I had inquired about hyena but Ernest only gets one tag in his area and it was already filled by earlier hunter. So this was a second chance as the guy will only let a hyena go if you also take something bigger like a lion or leopard. It was a special treat one night at supper when we heard a hyena howl. I never imagined just how loud they are! It reverberated through the hills and rocks like nothing else. We heard lions roar often at night but there was no comparison to the hyena and I have never heard one howl like that on TV. Just further proves there is no way you can even get a good concept of African reality without being out in it!

Back to the hunt.... They were howling back and forth and getting closer and I could hear them behind a line of trees but then everything went quiet.... Until John tapped Koos on the shoulder and pointed under a tree on the other side of us. There was a hyena slinking in after having circled around us! I had a bead on him mid shoulder and just as I squeezed the trigger he saw us and turned and the shot hit him in the mid section but stopped him and he was spinning in place when I fired into the fur and he dropped. The second bullet went in through the top of his head and out the throat. No big holes so all was good. Facinating creatures and Koos confirmed it was a male by feeling for bigger testacies as both males and females have penises and testes but females have little peanut sized ones.
hyena-spear-april2015-jpg.41147

Last edited by a moderator:
I have quite a few spotted hyena tags available for 2015 in RSA which can be added to a hunting safari.

I am also going on my own personal spotted hyena hunt in the 1st week of June. Will post some pics...

Good day sir, please feel free to drop me an email. I will be happy to offer you a hyena/plains game hunt. We have some excellent areas for Hyena. I am currently on safari, but am dropping by the house tomorrow before collecting next group again on Wednesday so be able to answer any questions.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Northern Namibia is a good place to look for hunting them.

I never hear much about hyenas taken on safari. I know browns can't be imported to the US, but is there anywhere I could get a spotted along with plains game? I Don't know why, but I think those ugly critters are kinda cool.
Halo wipartimer
Heyna hunting is a great experience and you should definitely do it...we have very good areas for them, and it wont be a problem to do plains game in the same trip...send me a personal message if you would like some more info....

What are the cull fees associated with both brown and spotted hyena?

you spelt trophy fees wrong , cobber

Yeah, I did!

We're looking at Namibia next year and hyena are of interest. Anyone know roughly what the trophy fees for these are there?

Its going to vary some but better figure on 1-2K for the trophy fee and no guarantee of finding one. I have struck out several times.

Its going to vary some but better figure on 1-2K for the trophy fee and no guarantee of finding one. I have struck out several times.
Just need to go out with a National Geographic photographer. They seem to find and track critters pretty well. Then, maybe you could get them to provide you hunting footage as well!
Of course, you'd probably find an anti that doesn't tell you he is until you're on target...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg