HUNTING Warthog

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
14,041
Reaction score
10,650
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
5,597
Articles
321
Hunting Warthog Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Warthog
warthog_shot_placement.jpg


Hunting Warthog
warthog_perfect_shot.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
How tough is pumba to hunt?? And do they go down easily?
 
Lots of fun to stalk. My wife says they are ugly animals and that is true but they are a hoot to hunt.
image.jpg
 
I think the warthog just knicked the black wildebeest into first spot for the ugliest.
 
From the videos I've seen there is almost never a follow-up shot on a warthog. They always seem to run a short distance and pile up or drop on the spot.
Anyone ever have to pop pumbaa twice?
 
Nope! I haven't but my son shot a big one that was running. First shot was a gut shot,then shot him a second time that blew his two back legs nearly off.
 
image.jpg

The female on the left did pile up in Just a few yards!
 
Last edited:
One shot with my bow. Ran off like it was fine. Plopped over dead after about 70 yards.
 
Sounds like CAustins son was perhaps sufficiently armed for warthog.
 
I had a good shot at a Warthog going away from me and when it turned a little to the right I took the shot. I took out the back left leg and the bullet went into the right front shoulder. When we got to the place that the warthog was at the shot there was a lot of meat and hair but not much blood. We went into the long grass and found blood every three or four feet. My PH found the warthog behind a bush and told me to shoot it again. Got both shoulders and it flipped over in its back. Let me say we didn't have to gut it to take pictures. The PH was concerned it might go down a hole in the area.
image.jpeg

He said we would have to bring in a backhoe to dig it out since it was such a great pig.
Two shots the only animal I had to shoot twice on that trip.
 
Sounds like CAustins son was perhaps sufficiently armed for warthog.

Yep! It was a 416 Ruger! The pigs back legs were just hanging on by some skin! That 416 is an impressive gun.
 
I had a good shot at a Warthog going away from me and when it turned a little to the right I took the shot. I took out the back left leg and the bullet went into the right front shoulder. When we got to the place that the warthog was at the shot there was a lot of meat and hair but not much blood. We went into the long grass and found blood every three or four feet. My PH found the warthog behind a bush and told me to shoot it again. Got both shoulders and it flipped over in its back. Let me say we didn't have to gut it to take pictures. The PH was concerned it might go down a hole in the area.
View attachment 57417
He said we would have to bring in a backhoe to dig it out since it was such a great pig.
Two shots the only animal I had to shoot twice on that trip.


That's a beauty! I had my eyes on one with similar tusks, but I was unsure of what critters were behind it. Tried to come around the right flank, they got spooked, and I missed my chance. Sad day. Next time I'll just trust the gut instinct. It was about a 200yd shot, 30-06 well sighted. I think I was just green and nervous about the money part. Surrounding this dude was a few blue gnu, and I'd already got one for that trip...
 
Yep! It was a 416 Ruger! The pigs back legs were just hanging on by some skin! That 416 is an impressive gun.


CAustin, this smells slightly overkill :W Rocket Launcher:, but I must say I'd likely do it myself !:W Rockets::E Rofl:
 
Unless you are hunting the wilderness or lightly hunted ranch, probably the most elusive animal in Africa. They are shot most of the time before they grow those long beautiful tusks:(

or you are lucky hunter........
 
My PH said he new it was on this ranch and we had been looking for a good one for a couple days. The new owner of the place and made a real nice four building camp with a meeting/cook building said he had seen this one several time when driving from his house to the camp he was around the water tower that fed the camp since it would over flow when it filled itself. My PH said he had seen it for 4 or 5 years.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 
Congrats Bhfs300, it's a very nice trophy.
 
I have seven, and will continue shooting any good one I come across, these two are from KwaZulu/Natal 2010.
Imagen157ResolucindeEscritorio.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Only one for me - but YES they are too much fun to hunt. Looking forward to more in August.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,479
Members
169,572
Latest member
FloridaGlo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top