Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Nimrod Rifle Club, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Texas, Wyoming, Kansas, Alaska, Namibia
My desire to harvest a Mt. Zebra with a bow begs me to ask the question. Who would you recommend as a PH that has a track record of successfully putting their clients in a position to take a Mt Zebra with a bow. Not looking for a canned hunt or guarantees, just want to make sure the blinds are set up for bow hunting, that there are plenty of zebra on their property, and that a trip would not be in vain by not even seeing a Mt Zebra within bow range. Obviously Mt Zebra is #1 on my list, I'd take a Burchells as #2, a warthog, and possibly a third animal, such as an Oryx?

johnvdw

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NAPHA, NTB
The Hartmann's Mountain Zebra like to visit waterholes at night so the spot and stalk method of hunting is also used in Namibia for the more challenging game species or those that do not frequent waterholes much. A Hartmann's Zebra hunt with a bow will certainly challenge you in many ways.

johnvdw

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NAPHA, NTB
By the way hunting at night is not allowed in Namibia. Trophy hunting in Namibia may take place from half an hour before sunrise until half an hour after sunset during the hunting season.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
The owner and ph Jaco of Namibia Safari Corporation has personally taken 3 with a bow, 2 walk and stalk and 1 from a hide. I bowhunted with him in 2016 and had Hartmans come to the hide once. It will be a challenge !!

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I'd been warned of the Mt Zebras preference for drinking at night, so I knew it would be a challenge. I'm not opposed to a walk and stalk on one.

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
I’ll be trying for one with a bow starting in one week. I’ve been shooting my Single pin sight out to 60 yards for a few months. But in the end would consider a firearm if needed as I really want one.

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Good luck Lee, hope you get a shot at one at least.

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Why not? ??

I would have done a walk and stalk on this recent hunt, had we actually seen a zebra, but the brush in that area was too thick for a stalk with a bow to be possible. If the terrain would permit a walk and stalk, I'd love the challenge to try it.

kathy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I killed a big stallion( 35" neck )hunting with Agagia in Namibia , yes they are bow hunters, if the wind is wrong you will not hunt that blind, if it changes they will move you, also killed a Burchells stallion on the same trip. Forrest

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Forrest. Did the mountain Zebra come to water in daylight?

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
I have walk and stalk killed two Hartmann's with my black powder rifle....range 77 yards and 45 according to my log. It was a great challenge, I thought....but many archers can shoot that far too.......................best of luck........................FWB

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
I’ve heard of on PH that actually covers the water troughs at night when he has hunters in camp in order to encourage the animals to drink during the day. That’s creative thinking.

gpelkhunter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, SCI,
Hunted
Canada, Namibia 2015
HI Dee. I just finished a spot and stalk hunt with Sesembo Hunting Safaris in Namibia. It was very challenging, had lots of opportunities and finally got a shot on the 4th day, 45 yards on the herd stallion. With the herds it is tough to sneak in real tight, need to be able to shoot out to 60 yards, and hike and crawl are key to being successful. I would highly recommend Ruan Botha with Sesembo, he knows how to stalk them cagey buggers and his area has lots of free range zebra, check out my blog of my hunt. It is well worth the effort, one of my best hunts ever was chasing zebra.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...trip-2018-with-sesembo-hunting-safaris.44292/

upload_2018-7-15_22-37-41.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
That is awesome. I got your PM and I will reach out to him. Congratulations on your zebra, it looks huge.

Lee M

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
I have one more day left in my hunt but happy to say Africa and Namibia blessed me. Took my bow Mountain Zebra a few days ago. Dee - I think Pieter already sent you a picture.
IMG_6963.JPG

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Way to go Lee!!

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Yes and looking forward to the report when you get back and get over the jet lag

Dee S

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
And congratulations again, glad you got your zebra, nothing but envy here.

kathy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Lee M, sorry for the late reply, I haven't been around a computer in a couple weeks, but yes the Mountain zebra came in about 0900.
Congratulations on your Mountain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholeMir

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.