Hunting in Spain

Discussion in 'Hunting Europe' started by Countrylife, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Countrylife

Countrylife AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, New Zealand, Namibia
    I'm going to be hunting in Spain later this year and intend to take my gun with me. I've been sent the paperwork to get the permissions to bring it with me, but have run into a problem. The outfitter is at a show and has acknowledged that he received my question and will have to research it once he gets back. And I can't find an answer from anyone else at the moment. So, since I'm impatient and don't want to wait until the outfitter gets back, I thought I'd ask y'all.

As part of the paperwork I have to submit is a copy of my hunting license, AND a translation of the hunting license. It's the translation that I have a problem with as in, how do I get it translated, where do I send it for translation, does it have to be done by a certified translator approved by Spain?

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2019
    Philip Glass likes this.

3. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Countrylife, PM Nyati, he lives in Madrid. I'm sure he can help you or at least talk you through the procedure.

Philip Glass likes this.

4. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Seems a bit complicated.

5. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    From what it says, the hunting license is not a problem, as you just have to fill the form.

What you have to translate by a certified translator is the proof of ownership of your gun, and they provide you with a list of those that are approved. That might be a problem as I understand there is no such official document in the US, as there is in Europe, where all guns have a State registration.

Anything to do with guns is a legal nightmare in Spain or the rest of Europe. Unless your outfitter is sure to take care of everything, I would suggest you borrow a rifle from him.

Shootist43 likes this.

6. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Does the CBP Form 4457 work for proof of ownership?

Philip Glass likes this.

7. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Maybe you could PM member @Red Leg he's hunted Spain

8. 375 Ruger Fan

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    As I recall from his Ibex hunting reports, @Red Leg used the outfitter's rental rifle.

johnnyblues likes this.

9. Jfet

Jfet AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
    I hunted Spain this past November and used the guide's rifle. I still had to complete all the paperwork listed at this web site
    I will also say that I am very glad to have used my guide's rifles because none of mine were set up to be able to shoot the distances I ended up shooting.

WFet likes this.

10. Jfet

Jfet AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
    You are going to enjoy hunting is Spain.:A Banana:

Foxi and WFet like this.

11. Luis Medina

Luis Medina New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibiax2, South Africa, Mexico, USA, Canary Islands, Canada
    If you need any help with the translation I sure can give you a hand

12. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    If you are anywhere near a Spanish Consulate, that is the easiest way to get the paperwork finished. I use the one in Houston. One has to go on line to arrange an appointment and bring along the required paperwork which includes, as I recall, hunting license, invitation letter, passport, and fifty-dollars. As I remember, they then did the translation and everything was back in my hands by mail in a couple of weeks. As noted above, even renting a rifle requires you to have a serial number permit to carry it hunting.

As an aside, I generally prefer to rent in Europe. We always combine a hunt with ten-days or so of playing tourist, and that is much easier accomplished not dragging a rifle along. Also, the equipment is usually excellent. My outfitter in Spain has a couple of Browning's with Leica optics. The .300 Win Mag is ideal for the mountains. Like most mountain game anywhere, you need to be prepared to reach out a bit, though your guide will try to get you close as possible. Range finding binoculars are a Godsend.

Philip Glass and Jfet like this.

13. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    I am going to Spain next year. I am booked with The Hunting Consortium so all my stuff will be handled for me. As I understand it all your paper work must go to the nearest Spanish consulate in the US ahead of time to get the forms approved. They are who you would call with these questions.
    Work it out and take your own gun! Don’t give up and say it’s easier to borrow a gun!
    Philip

14. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Philip is correct - In the sense that it is no harder to bring a gun than to rent one. If all you are doing is hunting, then fine. However, when we go to Europe, we play tourist for another couple of weeks before or after, and planes, trains, hotels, and things can get complicated when armed. If you are playing tourist, and I can't imagine going to Spain for the first time without seeing the Prado, Toledo, etc, perhaps your outfitter might store your rifle and you could plan some link-up before heading home. Just more trouble than it is worth to me. For instance we will travel to Austria in September. We will hunt for three days either side of the Austro-Hungarian border for three days, and then my lovely bride and I will spend ten days in Salzburg and Vienna - to include a bit of train travel. I speak German almost fluently, and I'll still pass on trying to do that with a rifle.

BWH, Philip Glass and jeff like this.

15. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Austria is awesome and they do have awesome guns to borrow!

Red Leg likes this.