Hunting in Hawaii

Which island? Each island is different both land wise and the reef/ocean around it. As an example a friend loves fishing off of Kauai, but when I got a quick trip to Maui he informed me offshore fishing there required a long trip out. Big island has scrub bulls (feral cattle) to hunt and moat islanda have wild pigs and goats. Lanai has mouflon and axis deer.

Which island? Each island is different both land wise and the reef/ocean around it. As an example a friend loves fishing off of Kauai, but when I got a quick trip to Maui he informed me offshore fishing there required a long trip out. Big island has scrub bulls (feral cattle) to hunt and moat islanda have wild pigs and goats. Lanai has mouflon and axis deer.

Interesting, lots more options than I thought there’d be.

Yes I have hunted with Hawaii Hunting Safaris twice. Once for trophy ram and second time for boar and meat sheep. Both hunts were on the Big Island. They have hunts on other islands as well. I would recommend them they do a good job.

There are wild pigs ( and chickens ) on Kauai. It probably has the best fishing. Skin diving (fishing with harpoon guns and camo wet suits) is probably the biggest thrill and preferred “fishing” method.

Ni’ihau is a weird place. It’s owned by the Robinson family (also own about 30% of Kauai). It’s on the west side of Kauai. The people that live there are Hawaiians that live as they did 200 years or more ago. It’s was always off limits while I lived in Kauai, but as the report pointed out, they started allowing limited hunts. The only thing I ever got from there were the tiny shells they sell in Kauai.

On Lanai they offer pheasant hunting and axis deer, I think.

I would recommend an outfitter. Went to Oahu a few years back. Took 3 days to find the Game Lands and then it was closed due to aerial culling.
No signs to help find it and nobody knew nothing. Found it behind a Convent.
Never took my bow out of the case.

Haven't gone yet but I'm booked for an axis and goat hunt in 2024 on Molokai.
Not a trophy hunt but just a good time with the family. Have to provide our own lodging but after that it's 3 days guided hunting with unlimited animals.
Long ways away but I'll post about it after it happens.

I've been in Hawaii about 10 months. Great hunting on some islands, good on others, and average on others. Lots of different species and opportunity. Some of the public land hunting is only on weekends so make sure you know what you're getting into before you get out here. The Hawaii DLNR big game document outlines everything island by island.

Wife and I hunted Axis on Molokai as part of our honeymoon. Very cool island, limited tourism so you got to experience the land and locals who were very friendly. We hunted with Hawaii Safaris and they were absolutely top notch. We hunted there in 2016.

Rent a gun, Hawaii has some strict firearms laws it's not worth the trouble (and I'm the type that usually like to use MY stuff) and Hawaii Safaris had top quality equipment.

Contact @Velo Dog. He and I believe his son have hunted pigs there. Not sure about the fishing.

Big island is a great place for turkeys, goats,pigs and wild Vancouver bulls!!! My son just got his first blue this past summer. I got my first marlin there 40 years ago. Fishing there is awesome. Maui is great place for axis deer? Not a big fan of deer hunting, as I shoot elk for the freezer.

Still alive I love my Elk as well but you should try Axis deer.

At one time there was sand grouse hunting and several types of francolin as well as several varieties of quail and pheasant. Dont know if that still exists or not-if I ever get that close to the islands, I would like to follow up on the birds there. Axis hunting is always on tv-they rarely shoot anything impressive but the numbers are incredible

I've fished out of Oahu. On a half day trip we caught a few mahi. I was told that if you want to improve your odds of getting something bigger it's better to do a full day to go out farther. Also, over a certain number of pounds and you have to split your catch with the boat.

Wife is from big island and I have hunted there several times for spanish goat and boar.
My last few hunts were with Mike at Nahele Outfitters. I give him and his guides 5 stars. I have heard good things about Hawaii Hunting Safaris as well but missed my booked hunt for birds with them after getting Covid before my trip.
If you are traveling with family, Mike with Nahele can have you on a nice goat and back snorkeling with the family by lunch! If you get a chance to kill a pig off of the macadamia nut plantation, I think you will find the meat to be the best wild pork you have ever had.

Big Island contact Hola Hola

There's great hunting in HI. Wild goat, wild boar (plus the gnarly Polynesion), axis deer, Vancouver cattle and turkey all are to be had.

I have a friend who went on a regular vacation with a group of friends. She scheduled a day of hunting for herself with a local guide, and shot a really nice goat and an axis doe. The cost wasn't a whole lot and she had a really good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg