Hunting Gerenuk

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
does anyone hunt gerenuk in SA? Just came across them they look pretty kool to me.

Beautiful, unique animals.

They are available in Tanzania. I believe only on a 21 day license.

They may be available in Ethiopia.

Not aware of any in SA, but that doesn't mean its not available.

What an odd animal indeed. Thanks for bring this up.

Cool looking little antelope. Kinda surprised if there isn't a few on some of the SA ranches?

I am not aware of any Gerenuk available to hunt in South Africa.

Expensive to hunt! I would love to hunt one though..........

On my list. Tanzania safari over $50K to even think about getting one.
Philip

Why they so expensive to hunt they hard to find/rare? Also wonder why they arent on ranches in SA? Any thoughts?

Saw a nice one taken in Tanzania on my first safari in 1985, by the chap I was sharing the 2x1 hunt with. Neat animal. Back then it was relatively inexpensive and could be taken on a 7 day hunt. Love to hunt there again someday but it has become nearly cost prohibitive.

Nathan Askew / @Bullet Safaris lists Gerenuk in his current brochure but they might only be available on a 21 day license, not sure about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
A neat little antelope. A quick Google gave me this about their range:

L. w. sclateri (Northern gerenuk) Neumann, 1988 : Known as Sclater's gazelle. Its range extends from northwestern Somalia (Berbera District) westward to touch the Egyptian border and Djibouti.

L. w. walleri (Southern gerenuk) (Brooke, 1878): Known as Waller's gazelle. Its range extends through northeastern Tanzania through Kenya to Galcaio (Somalia). The range lies north of the Shebelle River and near Juba River.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IngridBiag

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!