Hunting dogs

20221017_174546.jpg

Here is my old dog, Iron. This was most likely his last year hunting, 14 year old springer that still puts the kill on racoons (skunks n porcupine too) while mixing in finding upland birds. IA opener in this photo. He's hunted, MN, IA, SD, ND, MT. Very sick today, old, not long with us.
View attachment 532124
that’s always a tough one , I had one chessie die unexpectedly at 7 years old and had to put one down after 14 years of faithful service and companionship. Don’t know which is worse but loosing a family member even if it’s a dog is rough on everyone.

Any recommendations on tracking collars for smaller dogs? I have two fiery pups that are in the 20-22lbs range that are not hunting dogs in the conventional sense but that we walk off the leash in the woods a lot. They are fierce and regularly chase (and often catch) small game like squirrels, rabbits, woodchucks, etc. They are getting better at staying close and listening to voice commands but I have a fear that they will chase an animal too far and I won't be able to find them. They are a basal breed and despite training they often can't help themselves. Looking for something that will allow me to track them in the deep stuff if they go too far.

The collar doesn't need to have a massive range or be too heavy duty--like I said, these pups aren't hardcore hunting or tracking dogs, I'm just looking for peace of mind/margin of safety when on woods walks. Thanks.

P.S. There are so many great pictures in this thread!
You might check out the Dogtra pathfinder system. It appears to be smaller than the Sport dog system that I use on my dogs. Places like Lion Country Supply carry multiple brands and could be a good source of information for something that fits your needs. I know people who have lost A dog in the woods and that's not something I want to experience. I can tell you that the GPS trackers work well. Good luck.

Here is my best hunting buddy who turned 14 years old today. She has long been retired from chasing birds but she still gets excited to go in the fields.

During her prime years.
95E618D5-1D3D-4A00-835D-CEC946988D61.jpeg

Had her images engraved on my shotgun receiver to remember her.
9DA38D60-8E40-433E-A7FB-524BF14FD7A9.jpeg

F12C0D9B-D7AC-4F2A-8518-0EE45D1376C1.jpeg

0268E305-2BCF-4D3D-B6AB-B298D50A9002.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is my best hunting buddy who turned 14 years old today. She has long been retired from chasing birds but she still gets excited to go in the fields.

During her prime years.
View attachment 532407

Had her images engraved on my shotgun receiver to remember her.
View attachment 532408
View attachment 532409
View attachment 532410

That looks great.

I've thought about doing that on my favorite shotgun but it's a Browning Gold with an alloy receiver. Not sure if anyone could make it work. The other option is engraving an oval plate and setting it into the butt stock.

1687784477233.jpeg

Surprise, showed up a week ago. She is getting added to the hunting team!!!!!

Always used Irish Terriers now got a Wirehaired Foxterrier......

Over the last 50 years my wife and I have had several dogs but now my wife won't allow anymore. the pain of having them pass has gotten to be too much and at our age, the dog would probably outlive us and I imagine the pain would be great for them too- so best to enjoy OPDs (other peoples dogs, sort of like being a grandparent.

Fellow dog people,

This pic is the two Irish Terriers that own myself and my wife.
The old gentleman (aged 10 years) with straw color hair, is named Theodore Roosevelt, (“Teddy”).
The young girly pup (aged 1.5 years) with red hair, is named Lilly Langtree.

Teddy has run rabbits (snowshoe hare) for me and retrieved both those and spruce grouse for me.
But he does not point, (pointing is not common in the breed), so one has to get ready for shooting when Ted smells a critter and begins excitedly running all around.
He also has treed many squirrels and emits a specifically different bark pattern, when he has one up on a limb, so that I can go there and get a shot in.
He retrieves these little critters also very well.

Lilly has properly retrieved her first squirrel so far but, that is the extent of her hunting success at this stage.
She does seem to have a better nose than Teddy, if that’s even possible.
And so far, she is nowhere near as stubborn against training as Teddy was at her tender age.
She found the mentioned squirrel and trotted it over to me, before Teddy located it.

IvW,

Great minds think alike.
Previously, we always had wire haired fox terriers.
However now, since moving out into the woods, and our last wonderful little Wirehaired Fox Terrier passed away due to old age, we were worried that if we got another one, it would just be eaten by a great horned owl, great gray owl, wolverine, coyote, wolf or bear.

The larger Irish terriers could at least in theory, have a better chance against at least the owls and coyotes, so common to the area we now live in.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

IMG_7162.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Miro.jpeg

Langesjå 2.jpeg

My two boys..the upper is one helluva hunting dog...the old gordon setter aint bad either, but retired now..pushing 14 years.. We hunt grouse over standing setters in the mountains in Norway..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you