Hunting dogs

1678284008633.jpeg

This is the projected 2023 hunting team. These are English Cocker Spaniels. They are from Ryglen Gundogs. L to R, Java Jo (7 months old), Sassy the Sassanator (11 months old), and Roley Moley (2 years old). No trips to Africa this year. The plan is to start north and follow the fall south hunting birds and fishing for trout.

Mine have always been labs and beagles. I had a golden retriever once for a months before I had to find her a new home due to my allergies. Doctor told me to stick to short haired breed.

I also hunt with friends that have 3 GSPs which are great dogs so we have ample dog power!

I joined the Hunting Dogs Addiction Group too (a year ago). This is my first dog (I am more cat person) so it is steep learning curve for both of us :)
Walking the meadows with a smart dog and a gun ready to shoot on a sunny day, joining our senses and abilities to find the hidden pheasants is one of the best hunting experience I had.
So this is Bryn. He is great pal with my daughter and his very first pheasant (I mean real-world hunt, not the training).

1678287498058.jpeg

1678287511772.jpeg

1678287528268.jpeg

Their hair isn't nearly as long and curly as what I usually see. Is there a separate "field line" of breeding for English Cocker Spaniels, like there are different lines for Labs and German Shepherds?
Yes, there are difference between the breed lines of cocker spaniels. The first big difference is between the American Cocker Spaniel and the English Cocker Spaniel. These two breeds were separated in the early part of the 20th century by the American Kennel Club and the British Kennel Club.
From what I can see there is a difference between the English Cocker Spaniels that compete in the show ring and the “Working” English Cocker Spaniels. I think the ”Show” ECS’s still have strong hunting habits but they have much longer hair. Also, the show dogs are groomed for that long hair. Mine on the other hand have finished hunts and in order to remove burrs from the ears a good pair of scissors has been needed.The show dogs heads have a longer and narrower shaped head, too.
Below is a link to Ryglen Gundogs. This kennel is in Illinois, and regularly has a booth at DSC. The stud dogs that are used at Ryglen are all Field Trial Champions and Winners (FTCH and FTW) from the UK. Most of the females are also from the UK and are very accomplished. Jay is now developing his own females here in the U.S.

From what I can see there is a difference between the English Cocker Spaniels that compete in the show ring and the “Working” English Cocker Spaniels. I think the ”Show” ECS’s still have strong hunting habits but they have much longer hair. Also, the show dogs are groomed for that long hair. Mine on the other hand have finished hunts and in order to remove burrs from the ears a good pair of scissors has been needed.The show dogs heads have a longer and narrower shaped head, too.
Below is a link to Ryglen Gundogs. This kennel is in Illinois, and regularly has a booth at DSC. The stud dogs that are used at Ryglen are all Field Trial Champions and Winners (FTCH and FTW) from the UK. Most of the females are also from the UK and are very accomplished. Jay is now developing his own females here in the U.S.

The dogs at Ryglen certainly look very different from the show line spaniels that I usually see. They remind me a bit of the Welsh Springer Spaniels that we have in the neighborhood but the Cocker Spaniels are surely smaller.

The dogs at Ryglen certainly look very different from the show line spaniels that I usually see. They remind me a bit of the Welsh Springer Spaniels that we have in the neighborhood but the Cocker Spaniels are surely smaller.
Back in the day all flushing dogs in the UK were Spaniels. The ones in the litter that were under 25lbs were called cockers and the ones over 25lbs were springers. It sounds like the Welsh Springer Spaniel probably originated in Wales from much of the same spaniel blood lines. Below is a link to an Agility Competition in the UK. In the small and medium dog classifications the English Cocker is popular but they refer to them as Working Cockers. Also note that many of the cockers don’t have docked tails.

Their hair isn't nearly as long and curly as what I usually see. Is there a separate "field line" of breeding for English Cocker Spaniels, like there are different lines for Labs and German Shepherds?

Yes. Just like Springers

... Cockers. Also note that many of the cockers don’t have docked tails.

In lots of countries, docking the tail is either prohibited or strictly restricted, with few exceptions. UK, and all Europe, have such rules to one degree or another.

(some breeds occasionally get "natural bobtails")

The best pheasant dog I ever had the pleasure of hunting over was a little GSP bitch. That little girl was simply amazing on late season birds. I read somewhere that a man is truly lucky if he gets one really good bird dog in his life.... I tend to agree with that sentiment.

My latest up and comer. GSP, Paige, is just turning 2 next week. To her credit, Sharptail, Pheasants, Bobwhite, and Scale quail. She managed the SE Colorado trifecta, pheasant, bobwhite and scale quail her puppy year

9D387403-9988-492D-A009-CB994E84F9DC.jpeg
D3A4272B-3D55-4306-93DD-372D484C5F00.jpeg
D3039480-C974-4038-9485-8F68521D9E4C.jpeg
D05A4BC8-89EE-493B-8751-BB50C1C3D7C6.jpeg
08D888DE-BF4E-4CB7-9115-2F32BA8EF707.jpeg
8FD0F01F-9CEA-423B-8BB6-221BDB92335F.jpeg
4F1DE4CE-C137-4969-8484-D20D2A4B4B52.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is a breed I need to know more about. Wife wants a poodle, I want a Drathaar...this could be the solution.
They are an incredible breed. You typically need to get on a list with a good breeder. Could take a year or two.

Two American Water Spaniels I rescued last August. Both were trained to hunt, but had been house dogs. They don't stay as close as flushers should, so I doubt I'll hunt them.
1679753145644.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois