How has Everyone’s Hunting Season at Home been?

I am getting ready and making plans for deer season already. I have a tremendous amount of culling to do this year. Both bucks and does will be in the crosshairs. Maybe one more year and I’ll get to take a big buck. I usually lease all my ranches out but have kept the place where I live for family. There will be plenty of venison here this fall!

Connected on my first Pronghorn today. Opening morning in NE New Mexico. Very fun hunt so far with @BJONES .View attachment 364291
Great Pronghorn! I have put in for this hunt for fifteen years and can't ever seem to be drawn. Didn't get drawn for anything this year.

@JOHN WATERS I think was 11 or 12 years for mine!
Screenshot_20200901-152857.png

I am getting ready and making plans for deer season already. I have a tremendous amount of culling to do this year. Both bucks and does will be in the crosshairs. Maybe one more year and I’ll get to take a big buck. I usually lease all my ranches out but have kept the place where I live for family. There will be plenty of venison here this fall!
I know the feeling I have to do pretty much all the culling on my family place leads to tons of deer meat and recipients experiments so it’s not that bad at all!

I probably shouldn't complain as I did draw a desert bighorn last year, but I really want one of those speedgoats! That looks like it was up around Vaughn or Encino. Which GMU were you in?
Southern Alberta actually.

Great Pronghorn! I have put in for this hunt for fifteen years and can't ever seem to be drawn. Didn't get drawn for anything this year.
Thank you, sir. We ended up buying tags to hunt private land. Draw rates for New Mexico for non-residents are dang near impossible. Better off buying lottery tickets!

I was lucky enough to sneak away to the Luangwa Valley for a buff and plains game hunt in Zambia just a few weeks ago. Certain countries in Africa are definitely open if you have the ability and inclination to travel right now. Glad I was able to get away in 2020.

Opening day-South Carolina August 15,2020. Saw three bucks within first 25 min in the blind—90 yds suppressed 7mm rem mag stainless stalker (green cerakote) 154 grain Barnes. 68 degrees at day break (96 that afternoon!). 185 lbs and first in velvet since 18 years ago.

1C42F2AB-2661-43F3-9917-277CC8A83AA6.jpeg
AD92DEC0-072A-4A81-BD96-FD340D41F0FF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I’m out of the starting blocks at 0500 tomorrow morning. Heading to northern BC, with a buddy on a hosted hunt, for bull moose and Mountain caribou. On a remote lake for 16 days. Taking my 300 Win Mag and Federal Fusion 180’s. Taking a fishing rod, too. I will post pictures on my return.

Had the opportunity to hunt this Giraffe cow today. A combination of an over population in the area and this specific individual needing to be removed, the hunt went very well.
IMG_20200916_092519.jpg

One shot from my 416 Rigby was enough to get the job done. The 400gr Rhino performed beautifully.

IMG-20200916-WA0015.jpeg

I’ve been getting the hunting bug bad lately and didn’t want to wait until November for deer. So I called a buddy who farms along the forest fringe here in Saskatchewan and asked if he’s seen much bear activity. He said they were starting to hit his oats pretty hard so I should get up there. So I showed up today and he only had time to show me the field as he was harvesting and left me to fend for myself. Just as the light was starting to fade I noticed a whitetail doe and fawns about 300 yards away. All three were staring at something that was out of my sight so I figured I’d better go take a look. When I got into position I started scanning the oats and out of the corner of my eye I noticed the top of a bears head disappearing down into the standing oats. I got ready on the sticks and started to fawn bleat but the bear wasn’t responding. Finally he stood up on his hind legs 60 yards to the right of where I was aiming. Could just see head and neck to his shoulder but let one fly and was rewarded with the thump of a solid hit. Dropped him in his tracks!
View attachment 365539
I like a nice fall hide better than a spring hide. I prefer the shorter nap a dense shiny appearance over the long wooly springs...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg