How do you pick your mounts?

Petey J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Life Member NRA, North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association
I am planning and budgeting for my first safari in a couple years, and we all know that taxidermy is a significant expense of the trip.

So here's my question: What criteria do you use personally to decide on how you have trophies mounted?

Do you have a standard for each species? i.e. Kudu are shoulder mounted but impala are Euro mounted.
Or do you have a size standard, such as Euro mount everything, unless it is X size. For instance, shoulder mounting a Kudu only if it is 55 inches.
Or do you plan what you want and where it will go? Such as, "I really want a warthog shoulder mounted behind the bar."
Or do you mount one of something because it is probably the only one of that species you'll take, but others that are more common (i.e. Impala) get Euro mounted unless it is exceptional?

I'm really just curious what others use as a thought process. I have ideas of my own, but they are just barely formulated.

I like to do my favorites and I've always been a fan of shoulder mounts. I'm planning my first trip to Africa now but the ones I have in mind for mounting are Bush Pig, wart hog, and wildebeest because I have always wanted those particular animals on the wall. And I don't think Euro mounts of those animals would do them any justice. I'm fine with a European mount for impala , blesbok, and stuff like that. For me, some of them have to be mounted and some euros. Good idea for a thread!

I have a very few shoulder mounts, it has to be a special hunt and a special animal. Most of mine are euro mounts. I do my own euro mounts for NA game. I have them done in Africa for trophies from those hunts. Euro mounts in Africa are very reasonable as is the shipping.

This is a huge savings on the cost of a Safari, and frankly, in 20 years the euro mount will still look like new. The shoulder mount may or may not.

I agree with @WAB. Most of us are limited by both space and resources - if not immediately, then almost certainly we will be eventually. Like WAB, I am very selective about shoulder and/or pedestal mounts. The remainder are euros or photos. I suppose I was fortunate in a way to have hunted whitetail and European Roe deer extensively long before going to Africa. Therefore, I was well past the need to hang everything on the wall.

I also have friends who will never go back to Africa, in spite of it being a positive life changing experience, because they have no room for any more taxidermy. That would seem to be a definition of insanity.

I have three pedestal mounts (my first and best kudu, my first and best cape buffalo, and a great iconic oryx). I have only four shoulder mounts (an Nyala and two sable from Mozambique, and an Audad from the mountains of Southwest Texas), and three full body mounts (a leopard from Namibia, and a suni and red duiker from Mozambique). There are also several rugs in the trophy room and main house (bear, nyala, axis, blue wildebeest and zebra). Everything else, which include animals from Europe, Canada, and across the US, is either a Euro (to include wild boar, bush pig, or warthog tusks) or photos in the extensive album-journals I build on Shutterfly when I return from a hunt.

As to which to choose for a shoulder or pedestal mount, I would suggest letting the hunt and animal make that choice for you.

I agree with WAB and Red Leg. I have about 24 African animals and did shoulder mounts only on my Sable, a pair of Impala--one standard and one black--and a Scimitar Oryx. Zebras are rugs and everything else is Euro-skull mounts.

I am planning and budgeting for my first safari .

So here's my question: What criteria do you use personally to decide on how you have trophies mounted?

Or do you plan what you want and where it will go? Such as, "I really want a warthog shoulder mounted behind the bar."

I think you have already answered your own question above.
You put some thiught into this.
Sounds cool why not have a Warthog behind the bar!

Great question! I think some of it depends on your reason to have the "curio" as it were.... If the memory of the hunt is best lived with a skin-on mount , then it is just a matter of space and money. If I get an animal that I am fairly sure I will never get a chance to hunt again, then it is usually a full body mount. Sometimes the animal itself tells you to do a shoulder or pedestal - an example would be a whitetail with a double throat patch, or the chaps on an Aoudad or the mane of a Tahr. I personally prefer a shoulder mount as floor space is becoming rare. I have seen many multiple animals on a single pedestal, but I feel they get "lost" being clustered. It is difficult for me to pick a spot for a mount because as soon as I get new ones in I begin to shuffle them all around. I envy the people who can design a trophy room and then leave everything in place.

Around 6 months before I headed to South Africa I had a plan on what I wanted to do and where the mounts were going to go. I did change two of them around just because I think that they look better the way that I now have them, even with them having a slight turn the wrong way. However I like the placement I have them in. My only real big problem is that I don't have a warthog, we never saw one worth shooting in 7 days except for one that disappeared into the brush.

I would still like to get back over to get me one along with a zebra.

The big thing is that you really need to make some decisions before you pull the trigger and they ask you for the type of mount that you want.

Really difficult question to clearly answer. I value the experience much more than the trophy. The photo brings back more memories to me than the taxidermy mount. If I take a really exceptional or unique trophy I will get it mounted, but I mainly do euro mounts. If I have a mount done, I want it to be a piece that adds to the room. When deciding on which animals to mount I try to think if I would rather have the mount or put the money towards another hunt. This is one of my best trophies, a 46” free range buffalo, it’s both a great trophy and a beautiful piece, I used some of my warthog tusks to add to the base.
F99579A2-DF65-4D4C-B2BD-EE43022F523C.jpeg

Most responses sound well thought out. I was NOT that way, started very very young when I was invited into an old hunting camp and seen all the mounts, both 1950 shoulder and euro. Understood right then that's what I wanted "my" place to look like. The disease started shortly after, and my collection started. After it became "obsessive" my taxidermist told me he would train me and I would save lifetimes of revenue. This brings me to now. In the process of adding a memory room, 26x30, 10 ft walls and cathedral ceiling. To pick mounts, if I have 1,2,3 same specie shoulder mounts I am reluctant to add same, unless massive or special, a new specie will be shoulder, small never shot may be life size and some are so awesome looking they have to be mounted. Bush pig, warthog and some of the different animals (baboon, jackal, monkey, spring hare) are must mount animals, after I shot an aardvark/ant bear I knew he had to be life-size.

Having a floating plan before a safari is a must have, as dipping/packing, shipping and finally mounting adds equal costs to the safari. First question goes to other half, will they allow? What's their ideas?

For me; I do my own work, all get D&P and then tanned here in Canada, I have lots of time to figure mount and pose's. Once they are all home and available its easy to NOT have something mounted, but almost impossible to have mounted if parts/pieces are left in Africa. Leaving my ele tusks in exchange for replica's still haunts me.

I do exactly as you state and have already figured out, only probable chance at 1 leopard, lion, = life-sized. Smaller species are easier to display so shoulder, probably will not mount another impala, have 4 done. Remember you can always go to euro if you have all pieces, you cannot normally mount shoulder from euro.

In the end it boils down to what you want, some people horde, some collect and others want to sit and look at all their beautiful memories when the time and ability to do has passed.

MB

I might be the odd guy out but I mount almost everything especially if it’s my first of a certain species. And yes that means I have 72 mounts with 8 still pending. Space is becoming an issue though so something has to break soon. I might also add I do my own taxidermy which helps and I consider that part of the adventure for that animal.

I apologize in advance for telling people some of their euros look stupid :Jimlad:

When budgeting for taxidermy, I think its important to know what you MUST have shoulder mounted and what you are willing to accept as a euro in order to save money/space. In my opinion - impala, wildebeest, and warthog are great examples of how you can save. I think they make excellent looking euros. In the case of warthog, you can do tusks only or really save some wall room and put the skull on a table.

Personally I think other animals do not look near as good - in fact others may not even know what they are looking at. Blesbok, gemsbok, and waterbok really need to be shoulder mounted in my opinion.

Kudu I believe looks a lot better as a shoulder but concede it takes a ton of space. If you went to Africa for a kudu as #1 (as many do), then I think you are obligated to do a shoulder mount (possibly on a pedistal). If its 2nd or 3rd choice, then I think you could possibly live with a euro. Imo a kudu euro looks better on the floor leaned on the wall.

Do Google image searches. You will know right away if you personally dislike a particular euro.

I like shoulder and pedestal mounts. I like the look of the whole head and shoulder image of the animal. It gives it scale and realism. If done correctly, it seems the eyes follow me around and each has it's own personality. A hunk of bone with horns attached has no appeal at all to me. A better solution would be to wrap a portion of the skull in leather or nice fabric and mount it and horns on a wood plaque. I suppose if one has limited space and finances Euros are a logical compromise.

I build my pedestals as an appropriately sized cabinet in the shape I want with doors and shelves. They look like furniture and give extra storage as well. A 22 inch diameter octagon with a false bottom filled with two bags of sand will accommodate a buff or eland without being tippy. Just place the bracket at the rear edge of the cabinet top.

Not enough space, or too many trophies :E Shrug: leave me no choice, Euro-mounts.

Plus, you save a lot of money for more hunts :S Dollar:

Let’s just say I have a lot of taxidermy...

Living in a small house dictates taxidermy work- Euro mounts & rugs/skins.
Plus, I would rather spend my money on the hunt than on taxidermy work.

If I am completely honest... I have no rhyme or reason to my taxidermy decision process at all... :)

I was 100% certain when I hunted warthog last year that I would have it euro mounted...

But, once I saw my boar step out of the bush and into the open, I knew it was going to be a shoulder mount... even before I pulled the trigger..

I didnt even plan on hunting a waterbuck on my 2017 safari, much less having waterbuck taxidermy in my house... but after arriving in camp, I suddenly decided a waterbuck was "on the list" after dinner on the second night.. and of all the animals taken that trip, the waterbuck ended up being the only shoulder mount.. I had everything else euro mounted..

Hartebeest has been on my highly desired list since 2005.. I was 100% certain if I took a nice hartebeest at some point that I would have it shoulder mounted.. I took an exceptional hartebeest in 2019.. and then decided it would be much nicer as a euro mount...

I sorta just figure it out as I go along :)

Wow that’s a tough question because it’s such a personal question. Everyone has different criteria. If I’m hunting (not culling does or something) then I wont shoot it if I won’t mount it. Multiples of animals don’t bother me. I get a kick out of people who say they will only mount 1 Kudu or whatever but have 30 whitetail mounted in their trophy room.
I look at it that if I’m going to kill it then it was worthy of mounting. There is something about the animal or experience that that made it special and I will honor the animal for that. Also, I personally don’t care for euro mounts anyway. I either mount it or don’t shoot it. Again that’s just a personal thing.

I like shoulder and pedestal mounts. I like the look of the whole head and shoulder image of the animal. It gives it scale and realism. If done correctly, it seems the eyes follow me around and each has it's own personality. A hunk of bone with horns attached has no appeal at all to me. A better solution would be to wrap a portion of the skull in leather or nice fabric and mount it and horns on a wood plaque. I suppose if one has limited space and finances Euros are a logical compromise.

I build my pedestals as an appropriately sized cabinet in the shape I want with doors and shelves. They look like furniture and give extra storage as well. A 22 inch diameter octagon with a false bottom filled with two bags of sand will accommodate a buff or eland without being tippy. Just place the bracket at the rear edge of the cabinet top.
"I suppose if one has limited space and finances Euros are a logical compromise."

Wow. Must be nice to be of the class with unlimited space and finances.

I would simply note to all who do have those limitations, and I would suggest that most of us who travel abroad to hunt - particularly Africa fairly often - find ourselves in such a position eventually, Euro mounts not only extend finances and space, but should you spend a bit of time in Europe, you quickly realize they represent a tasteful and traditional way to honor the game we hunt. Indeed, there are a lot of sportsman on this planet who hunt as much as any American who find our fascination with hanging a stuffed carcass on the wall, at best, somewhat odd.

Wow that’s a tough question because it’s such a personal question. Everyone has different criteria. If I’m hunting (not culling does or something) then I wont shoot it if I won’t mount it. Multiples of animals don’t bother me. I get a kick out of people who say they will only mount 1 Kudu or whatever but have 30 whitetail mounted in their trophy room.
I look at it that if I’m going to kill it then it was worthy of mounting. There is something about the animal or experience that that made it special and I will honor the animal for that. Also, I personally don’t care for euro mounts anyway. I either mount it or don’t shoot it. Again that’s just a personal thing.
Others are fortunate to live on a game ranch with lots of retail space to indulge their passion for taxidermy. That's fine - good on them. But most of us do not.

I am fortunate to have a trophy room. But I am also nearly seventy and have hunted for six decades and am able to hunt multiple game species annually. I can either stop hunting or I can be selective about what goes on the wall.

The vast majority of hunters face that at some point - or as I did, face it multiple times as financial success and our home environment evolved.

My only point is that euros, pictures, shoulder mounts, or full body are fine. All can be tastefully incorporated into a setting. And if someone like @curtism1234 is unappreciative of your Euro-mounted kudu, who cares. They are there to please you, and once you are gone, they are frankly little more than a encumbrance for you heirs.

"I suppose if one has limited space and finances Euros are a logical compromise."

Wow. Must be nice to be of the class with unlimited space and finances.

I would simply note to all who do have those limitations, and I would suggest that most of us who travel abroad to hunt - particularly Africa fairly often - find ourselves in such a position eventually, Euro mounts not only extend finances and space, but should you spend a bit of time in Europe, you quickly realize they represent a tasteful and traditional way to honor the game we hunt. Indeed, there are a lot of sportsman on this planet who hunt as much as any American who find our fascination with hanging a stuffed carcass on the wall, at best, somewhat odd.

Others are fortunate to live on a game ranch with lots of retail space to indulge their passion for taxidermy. That's fine - good on them. But most of us do not.

I am fortunate to have a trophy room. But I am also nearly seventy and have hunted for six decades and am able to hunt multiple game species annually. I can either stop hunting or I can be selective about what goes on the wall.

The vast majority of hunters face that at some point - or as I did, face it multiple times as financial success and our home environment evolved.

My only point is that euros, pictures, shoulder mounts, or full body are fine. All can be tastefully incorporated into a setting. And if someone like @curtism1234 is unappreciative of your Euro-mounted kudu, who cares. They are there to please you, and once you are gone, they are frankly little more than a encumbrance for you heirs.
I see your point and wasn’t taking a shot at anyone. While I do own a game ranch (I don’t live on it. Wish I did but it’s 90 miles from my office) I also have limited space as well though certainly do have the luxury of having more available space. I guess what one can take away from my post is that personally I won’t shoot something while trophy hunting that I’m not willing to make room for. That’s my personal choice and certainly don’t expect anyone else to share in it. I was the same way looong before I ever owned a game ranch and taxidermy studio. I’ve just personally never liked euros. I do have a few most are from dead’s I’ve found but I do have 1 or 2 that I did on animals I took.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!