How do you pick your mounts?

It’s a good thing that I love Euros because that’s about all I have room for, and that’s starting to get tight. I also enjoy doing my own. I really want to get my Kudu mounted but just can’t seem to figure out where I’d put him.

I know of one ram euro that we should get out of there!!! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve just personally never liked euros. I do have a few most are from dead’s I’ve found but I do have 1 or 2 that I did on animals I took.
I know of one ram euro that we should get out of there!!! Lol
Me too! I’ve still got him. Just waiting for the guy to come back so he can take him home! He was a pretty cool guy too.

I was actually discussing that with mama last fall and then stupid Covid came along. I’d love to drive down there!

You are most welcome anytime!

I am planning and budgeting for my first safari in a couple years, and we all know that taxidermy is a significant expense of the trip.

So here's my question: What criteria do you use personally to decide on how you have trophies mounted?

Do you have a standard for each species? i.e. Kudu are shoulder mounted but impala are Euro mounted.
Or do you have a size standard, such as Euro mount everything, unless it is X size. For instance, shoulder mounting a Kudu only if it is 55 inches.
Or do you plan what you want and where it will go? Such as, "I really want a warthog shoulder mounted behind the bar."
Or do you mount one of something because it is probably the only one of that species you'll take, but others that are more common (i.e. Impala) get Euro mounted unless it is exceptional?

I'm really just curious what others use as a thought process. I have ideas of my own, but they are just barely formulated.
Petey this is a great question so thanks for asking it. You mention “behind the bar”, so I would say yes some mounts are created just for a certain location I have in mind. This is a really neat thing to do and plan for. For instance my wife wanted me to put two small shoulder mounts in our living room after remodeling , so I mounted a Chose bushbuck I was not going to mount for one side of our fireplace and waiting on Mongolian Gazelle for the other side. Yes size can be a factor. If you don’t have room for a Kudu shoulder mount, like I didn’t in 1997, you go with euro.
another thing is to not put pressure on yourself to mount everything. THe people I am advising that are going on a 10 day/12 animal hunt are all concerned about taxidermy costs. So we have been discussing this very thing lately. So a mix of shoulder mounts and euro mounts can be easy on the pocketbook and still a lot of fun.
Happy safari planning!
Philip

How many times have I asked myself the same thing? :confused: Usually space and price are the limiting factors for most of us. For me, if I’m fortunate enough to bring home a nice one, the story will determine the extent of how far I go. The first, biggest, heaviest, widest, best challenge, son was with me, the only in all likelihood, etc..
Everyone is different and every story is different.
I just try to do the animal justice no matter what I can afford at the time or where I might put it.
Good luck!

I have a few antlers on plaques, and a couple of deer shoulder mounts. My wife hates the look of euros. I did my small elk as a euro, and the wife made me take it down and and have it antlers on a plaque. All 7 of my Africa are shoulder mounts.

I have a few antlers on plaques, and a couple of deer shoulder mounts. My wife hates the look of euros. I did my small elk as a euro, and the wife made me take it down and and have it antlers on a plaque. All 7 of my Africa are shoulder mounts.
I doubt I’m the only one feeling your pain regarding spousal (dis)approval. ;)
Mine doesn’t ever really say much but her relief was obvious when I built a bar/trophy room in my shed. She liked how it turned out so we’re both happy.

I just did an inventory of my office as this question has me intrigued. Here is what I have in a 17’x30’ office with 9’ ceilings:

Pedestal mounts: buffalo & kudu

European mounts: 3 buffalo, 2 eland, wildebeest, bushbuck, warthog (tabletop)

Zebra rug

Elephant tusks on pedestals.

There is some artwork and African curios mixed in.

It’s totally a matter of personal taste, space and finances. For me this is the right balance.

Per my earlier comments, the buffalo and kudu are both exceptional trophies from outstanding hunts. I don’t anticipate that I will ever do another shoulder or pedestal mount of an African trophy.

My NA trophies are in my reloading room. There are 3 shoulder mounts: dall sheep, mule deer, pronghorn antelope. All are fantastic trophies from self guided hunts. There are a bunch or European mounts, bearskin rugs and bearskins (flatskins), bear skulls, etc..

If all my euro mounts were shoulder mounts there is no way I would have room for them all, and if I did find some way to squeeze them onto the walls it would not be to my taste at all.

For me it’s all about spacing and beauty. I planned my current house and great room accordingly. The room has 12’ side walls on two sides and 22’ peaks on the other two sides. I love the beauty of most animals and therefore, euro mounts aren’t my primary thing. I guess I’m a Taxidermist’s dream! Lol. I wouldn’t think of anything but full body mounts for leopard, lion, brown bear, polar bear, nyala, bongo, mountain goat and all my sheep. Everything else gets shoulder mounted. A few smaller animals are euro. At some point, I will have to go to more euro mounts but I don’t look forward to it. Either that or I am considering another house somewhere when I retire if I can afford it.

Another option for you to consider if you don’t have space now is to get the capes tanned and do euro mounts until you have the space to have them converted to shoulder mounts or full body mounts later. That’s easy to do.

Wow that’s a tough question because it’s such a personal question. Everyone has different criteria. If I’m hunting (not culling does or something) then I wont shoot it if I won’t mount it. Multiples of animals don’t bother me. I get a kick out of people who say they will only mount 1 Kudu or whatever but have 30 whitetail mounted in their trophy room.
I look at it that if I’m going to kill it then it was worthy of mounting. There is something about the animal or experience that that made it special and I will honor the animal for that. Also, I personally don’t care for euro mounts anyway. I either mount it or don’t shoot it. Again that’s just a personal thing.
I agree with most of your thoughts. Anymore, I don’t shoot animals that are smaller in trophy size than I already have taken. I enjoy the hunt all the same. I also am not a collector of all species. I like what I like and don’t shoot one of everything on the species list.

I just did an inventory of my office as this question has me intrigued. Here is what I have in a 17’x30’ office with 9’ ceilings:

Pedestal mounts: buffalo & kudu

European mounts: 3 buffalo, 2 eland, wildebeest, bushbuck, warthog (tabletop)

Zebra rug

Elephant tusks on pedestals.

There is some artwork and African curios mixed in.

It’s totally a matter of personal taste, space and finances. For me this is the right balance.

Per my earlier comments, the buffalo and kudu are both exceptional trophies from outstanding hunts. I don’t anticipate that I will ever do another shoulder or pedestal mount of an African trophy.

My NA trophies are in my reloading room. There are 3 shoulder mounts: dall sheep, mule deer, pronghorn antelope. All are fantastic trophies from self guided hunts. There are a bunch or European mounts, bearskin rugs and bearskins (flatskins), bear skulls, etc..

If all my euro mounts were shoulder mounts there is no way I would have room for them all, and if I did find some way to squeeze them onto the walls it would not be to my taste at all.
Exactly. Taxidermy, however done, is part of the overall decor of a space of a trophy room. Art, antique furniture, books, militaria, Africana, etc are also all part of that bit of environment that pleases me (even First Empire French porcelain :Facepalm: ). My office and "snoring" room are treated the same way. It may not be to another's taste, but I think traditional Euros work well when mixed with actual taxidermy. I think they work particularly well with the early to mid-19th century theme we used in our trophy room. But again, that is purely our personal taste and what pleases us. There is no right or wrong answer.

trophy room new7.jpg

trophy room new5.jpg

trophy room new6.jpg

Exactly. Taxidermy, however done, is part of the overall decor of a space of a trophy room. Art, antique furniture, books, militaria, Africana, etc are also all part of that bit of environment that pleases me (even First Empire French porcelain :Facepalm: ). My office and "snoring" room are treated the same way. It may not be to another's taste, but I think traditional Euros work well when mixed with actual taxidermy. I think they work particularly well with the early to mid-19th century theme we used in our trophy room. But again, that is purely our personal taste and what pleases us. There is no right or wrong answer.

View attachment 364384

View attachment 364385

View attachment 364387

This looks amazing. We have very similar tastes!
IMG_1157.JPG

I’ve probably posted this before, but this is one end of my office.

This looks amazing. We have very similar tastes! View attachment 364404

I’ve probably posted this before, but this is one end of my office.
Sounds like the same count on animals as well. Though, I am envious of the tusks. The space looks great.

Reactions: WAB
It’s very interesting to see how similar our trophy rooms are and also the animals that were chosen to be mounted.

Reactions: WAB
I really appreciate all the perspectives. And pictures. I knew there would be lots of different perspectives.

One further question, does anybody have mounts that are head only with hide on (I doubt know what they would be called)? A buddy wanted a buffalo with really big bosses, and had it mounted like this so he could see the bosses on top.

There are certain animals that I feel the look of their face is as iconic as the horns (gemsbok for example).

I really appreciate all the perspectives. And pictures. I knew there would be lots of different perspectives.

One further question, does anybody have mounts that are head only with hide on (I doubt know what they would be called)? A buddy wanted a buffalo with really big bosses, and had it mounted like this so he could see the bosses on top.

There are certain animals that I feel the look of their face is as iconic as the horns (gemsbok for example).
I have seen it, by the taxidermist I used in Namibia, Hunters Pride. Honestly not sure they are around anymore. Debated it and decided otherwise. It just didn't work for me, and I have a mix of skulls, heads, and plenty of rugs.

Whether euro, shoulder, rug, etc. on choice of mount it is personal opinion.

I have a small place for now. All my mounts are shoulder mounted; 2 kudu (55" and 59"), 2 impala (20" and 24"), 2 springbok (1 common, 1 black), 2 blesbok (1 common, 1 white), 1 bush buck, 1 blue and 1 black wildebeest, 1 warthog, 1 red hartebeest.

They definitely fill the walls of the living room. Warthog looks over the dining table.

I choose the mounting positions based on how I wanted to place them together on the walls. The head up-out straight and head up- on a left chant kudus were a challenge to place on eight foot walls, in flow with furniture and navigating through the room. But it can be done.

With exception to the 2nd kudu and 2nd impala these are all first hunted animals. The 2nd kudu and 2nd impala were bigger animals, thus the shoulder mountings.

Euro mounts look good, but I prefer shoulder mounts, as their size and colorations make good conversation starters, and give a more impressive perspective of the animal.

IMO don't have all your shoulder mounts straight. Have your taxidermist add characteristic poses to your mounts, mix them up, have some straight, canting to the right and to the left, rug, as wall and floor pedestal mounts. This will allow for versatility in displaying your mounts.

Having a small place also requires self restraint on number and size of mounts. Which I obviously lack, even though my hunts are 8 months out, I'm trying to figure out poses and where to put; a Cape buff, 2 eland, a gemsbuck, and possibly some small full body mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross