How do you afford Africa?

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by JPbowhunter, May 16, 2019.

1. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    And there is the biggest problem, if you think wanting to get there the first time is bad wait till after you go. My first trip I booked 2 years out and "it was a once in lifetime trip". I was right back there 12 months later.

BWH, Saul, Adam Stevens and 1 other person like this.

2. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Speaking of jobs, my last company was doing some feel good bullshit exercise around understanding the needs of your employees. So my boss called me in and asked, "what motivates you", "what is my inspiration". I said, "sheep hunting, there is 4, I want to get all four". With a blank stare she said "what!" I spent the next 15 minutes discussing how rare the tags are and how expensive it is and what not. So finally she asked well after you get your sheep what are you going to do. I replied, "I dont know, not work here, I know that. Maybe go serve coffee or plant trees." More blank stares...yeah I probably shouldn't be honest.

cagkt3, putter97127, MarkCZ and 4 others like this.

3. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    Yep! Once bitten, you're happily afflicted thereafter!! That's why my avatar catch-phrase is " Hunting Africa is both a blessing and a curse" - it's a blessing when you're there savouring your hunt, but otherwise a curse when you're working and saving like mad for your next hunt back at home!!

Saul likes this.

4. Tokoloshe Safaris

Tokoloshe Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Safari International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
    I certainly hope your dream comes true and I hope I do not mean to depress you, but!

I do hope your savings can keep up with "African Inflation". I remember seeing magazine adds back in the 50s, if I am not mistaken a east African black rhino hunt was $699.00. One country at the moment (for many reasons) is offering excellent prices, who knows they may go lower? Other countries are suffering from inflation and increased govt. fees. Also airline fees seem to increase yearly!

One place you can save some money, maybe not everyone's ideal solution, but if you will be using a medium or big bore rifle you may want to rent one from your safari operator. There is a $2,000.00 savings right there (airfare costs)?

Cheers,

5. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    Saul, don’t let ‘stuff’ and lifestyle trap you; sell the crap, cut back your lifestyle, and free yourself up to make a change. Don’t waste your life in a career you hate. 47 is not too late to make a change unless you think it is!

Wheels, Saul, sestoppelman and 2 others like this.

6. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    Mate, that is one heck of a buff in your avatar!! When, where and what calibre did you use? A quick run down of the facts would be a great tonic for this thread! :)

7. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    That buff was taken a few years back in Klaserie, a large private reserve in RSA open to Kruger. One shot, quartering frontal with my .458 Lott. Biggest bosses I have ever seen on a buff.

Timbo likes this.

8. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    That is something i am conscious of, I think I first joined this forum in 2013. In that time I've seen the prices shift which is one thing, but the AUD has been on a downward slope against the USD pretty much since then too. Similar I guess to your rhino example I know an old fella in Aus that's shot a handful of cape buff from memory over a few years starting probably before I was born. He said for similar equivalent money these days can't afford more than common plains game.

That's one reason why I'm keen to get there and have the experience while it's not too much out of my reach. I accept that buffalo will be like sheep and alaskan moose in that they're just going to stay ahead of me with real and artificial inflation. I'd hate for a nice big mature eland to do the same.

In all honesty I'd travel to Africa to have a good hunt for one of them and be happy to shoot bugger all else.

Regards to guns between my 7x57 and 9.3x62 I can't see myself needing anything else. But I guess that option is always there if needed.

Shootist43 likes this.

9. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Jack, you can see from the posts that you've received that you are not the first guy in this situation. The continuing thought from almost every reply is that you have to save up to go on an African hunt. The second most prevalent thought is that you have to take care of your family first. As a result your time-line might have to change a bit. Keep the idea of being able to hunt Africa as a priority in your life, and some day you'll be able to go. For PG including Eland your 9.3 x 62 is all the gun you need.

JPbowhunter and Saul like this.

10. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    From all of the previous posts you can see the way people made it happen and tips they have to assist you in your quest. There is little advice I can add, but here is my two cents worth.
    First and foremost: GET OUT OF DEBT! You will always have a mortgage and car payments, but eliminate all other debt. This is key to not only getting to Africa, but everything.
    Then set a goal for when. I set age 55 for mine. Then comes how do you meet that goal?
    Save X per pay. Drive your car a couple extra years after you pay it off and save that money (that’s a biggie). I quit going on other guided hunts and saved that money.
    One other piece of “advice”... Don’t quit living now. By that I mean, don’t sacrifice everything for Africa. You have a family, do fun stuff. Life is too short, not to.

WAB, Wheels, putter97127 and 3 others like this.

11. Shaneb

Shaneb AH Member

My question is how do you not afford Africa. There are 5 animal specials Everywhere for $2,500 to $3000. On these hunts you can most assuredly take culls also for 1-200 extra. So for 10 animals your in the $3500 range. For a 3 day antelope hunt in US you will pay that. Also these outfitters let you book a year or 2 out. Add in flight and getting animals home. Maybe at $6000 total. Put $60 a week. Best value in the world. Period.

12. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    I see two scenarios for future Africa hunts, the next few years and after the boomers are flushed out of the system (dead, broke or too sick to go). Presently, there is an oversupply of venues, competition is fierce and getting more so every year, hence prices are falling. This will only last so long. In ten years when the boomers are done, half or more of the outfitters and camps will be out of business, there will be less competition and prices will reflect a return to the tradition of only the well heeled being able to afford the cost. For the younger guys longing to go, the door may be closed by the time they've got the funds for a trip in today's prices.

Wheels, JPbowhunter, dmyers and 3 others like this.

13. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Remember what Smokey the Bear said, "Only you can prevent forest fires". Well, only YOU can truly decide what to pursue or not. All work and no play make Jack a Dull boy! Don't give up on the dream, you are too young for that. How I wish I was only 47 again! You will turn around and be 60 before you know it.

WAB, Hogpatrol and Saul like this.

14. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Prices are hard to guess since there is so many factors to consider. Currency exchanges, import laws, and overall opportunities. Does North America get so expensive people start looking at Africa more. Does the fall out of Tanzania building dams and long time operators hanging up change demand? Burkina Faso looks to be done for a while. How confident are you in the politics of South Africa and Zimbabwe for the next 5 years, or 10 years? I dont know and I am not sure anyone does. Point being trying to guess prices is like catching a falling knife. I think the best value right now is Africa, and it isnt even close. But the definition of value is tricky as well.

I feel like buff has gone down in price over the last 5 years and so has Sable. Have they hit a bottom? Does (insert country here) decide to close hunting? Does (insert Democrat president here) ban all African sport hunting imports? How would that impact the price for an aussie?

I think what I am trying to say is, figure out what you want to hunt, start saving and make it happen sooner than later.

JPbowhunter and Hogpatrol like this.

15. TTundra

TTundra AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
    This thought is what made me want to hunt Africa sooner than later. I hunted RSA at 29 for the first time, 31 for trip two, and 33 will be trip 3. I don't have a super high salary job, and have a mortgage, vehicle notes, wife, and a baby on the way. I wanted to see Africa while I could and while the prices made it very possible.

What did I do? Removed the frivolous expenditures. Wrangler jeans and khaki's over Levi's and dockers...Bulleit bourbon more than Woodford and only a couple cigars a month (also a healthier lifestyle I guess). Finally, one of the harder decisions for me personally, was limiting my firearm spending. If the firearm isn't going to be used for hunting, self defense, or a 'dream' piece, it isn't bought. No more, "too good of a deal to pass up" buys. Along with that, if it was in the safe and rarely used and not one of the above reasons or a family or sentimental piece, its for sale.

YMMV, but for me quality over quantity took over my head at 29. Big bore wise, I'd rather have 1 416 Rigby in the safe well practiced with loads for PG and DG than an additional 416 REM mag, 416 Ruger, 404J, etc, etc...but with a double to keep it company ;). Nothing against those who do as I would LOVE to have them all, but I'd rather hunt Africa a few more times with my dad now, than have rifles sitting in the closet. I can always buy them down the road if the need or desire rises, but I won't always have the chances to hunt Africa with my family that I do now.

spike.t, Tra3, Timbo and 5 others like this.

16. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    @TTundra Good for you, young man. Too many delay, delay, delay and wind up being "Wish I hads".

Timbo, WAB, Von S. and 2 others like this.

17. TTundra

TTundra AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
    I'd rather pay off a few grand while I'm working and have the memories now. Bringing lunch to work for a year over going out paid for my flight...

Timbo, BWH, WAB and 1 other person like this.

18. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Pay off all your debt, and live lean. No new vehicles, no fancy house. (In my case, no kids and no wife either). SA is not that expensive to hunt, if you're doing PG only. Start by going over and shooting several of the less expensive species and maybe an Eland. You should be able to have a very good hunt for $10K or less, all inclusive.

IdaRam, Timbo, WAB and 3 others like this.

19. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Jack,

There are many things that a man just has to do........... meet and mount all the beautiful woman he can while he can...... serve his country....... take care of his family....... and go hunting in places like africa, russia and other manly places where your first wrong step can be your last step by brutal terrain or foul rampaging beast.

It's in our nature.....to explore...... to conquer......to growl back at a vicious monster with such vigor as to make him piss down his legs as you mercilessly slaughter him in a fit of abject rage and violence that would make Ghengis Kahn, Idi Amin, Pol Pot...... just to name a few............faint dead away at the sight of true horror and empty their piss bags as they retreat from the carnage that may befall them next should they not evacuate immediately.......

Good God Jack! Ya just gotta find a way to get there, and soon. :A Banana:

20. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Damn @TOBY458 , you are just like a Warrior Monk!

upload_2019-5-17_16-48-39.png

Timbo, Saul, Pheroze and 2 others like this.