Hot weather day pack & socks?- Real world advice

deewayne2003

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I’m training for an upcoming hunt where I will be walking 10km+ daily so I’m needing to equip accordingly.

For those of you that trek distances I’m looking for advice on an average/large size day pack.

Must carry a decent load, not sweat my back and preferably have a hydration system.

Also I’ve got my Courtney’s all set but advice on brands of socks that will let my feet breath and prevent blisters?

For socks, I've been using Duluth Trading Co Men's 7-Year Performance Lightweight Over-the-Calf Sock. I wear boots so these make the most sense for me, but they are available in quarter-calf and no-show length as well.

1676205294319.png

I used Thorlo's lightweight hikers and Merrill mid-hikers for both of my safaris. September in Zimbabwe and late October / early November in Mozambique. As, well, I use the same for just staying in shape here in Florida all year round.

I've had a Red Oxx C-ruck I use as well for simple day hikes although it doesn't have a hydration built in, there are side pockets that I use to hold water bottles.

I’m training for an upcoming hunt where I will be walking 10km+ daily so I’m needing to equip accordingly.

For those of you that trek distances I’m looking for advice on an average/large size day pack.

Must carry a decent load, not sweat my back and preferably have a hydration system.

Also I’ve got my Courtney’s all set but advice on brands of socks that will let my feet breath and prevent blisters?
Terrain? Weather? Solo or with a PH/Guide?

I’m assuming this hunt is in Africa if you are bringing Courtney’s? I’ve never had an issue with any socks in Africa but I also use highly breathable boots. The air is so dry everything else seems to dry as well. Possibly consider very light merino wool socks though if you are concerned. They are very comfortable but won’t hold any sweat against your skin. I’ve also never carried a day pack in Africa. Is your PH advising you this? I’ve had the tracker carry a few items for me in his water pack, but I’ve only carried my rifle. Generally just water, camera, ammo, some snacks is all you need for a tracking hunt. You might walk long distances but very unlikely you will be 10 km from truck. Truck is just a radio call away and moves to closest road as you move.

I definitely suggest wool socks. They are very good at pulling the sweat from your feet and keeping them as dry as possible, which is the key to preventing blisters and staying comfortable. As a bonus (and misty because they help keep your feet dry) they do better than normal cotton socks at keeping your feet warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s hot.

Seriously consider a trip to a podiatrist to get custom inserts for your Courteneysc. Then add some cotton socks and you will be comfortable.
I’ve never heard anyone recommend cotton socks. They are typically considering undesirable to active wear, because they tend to retain moisture (sweat). Perhaps this is a Courtney recommendation or there is some other insight I haven’t heard before?

Go to a local running store and check out what socks they sell to runners. I use merino wool, even in the summer, wool works better than cotton. You’ll be able to find thin socks for warm weather.

For a pack, I’m fond of what Kuiu makes. As stated above, if hunting in africa you probably won’t carry a pack. If you are about to go on a longer walk, just chug an extra bottle of water or two.

Friend, first I would recommend getting a digital device of some sort to track what you're doing now a day mileage wise. Just in my normal mileage in the office and visiting my staff in the field I log in at least five or more miles a day and that's just with Dockers, flannel shirt, construction boots, and a bottle of water. I would recommend good boots, and a change of socks if desired. Extra water and a hat.

Something else to consider for the training you’re doing. Walking 3 mph is easy. The most difficult part of tracking hunt I’ve found is the slow pace. Walking 1.5 mph and watching every foot placement is very difficult and uses muscles that aren’t typically used or thought of. The most recent hunt I did was between 6-12 miles per day (19 km) at temperatures above 100 F not stopping for middle of day. I noticed I couldn’t drink enough water to urinate at any point during day even though water was always available and I drank a huge amount all day. Electrolyte powder (liquid IV, propel, etc) can be really helpful. My Dad had a lot of issues with cramping until he took the electrolyte powder. I luckily didn’t have issues.

I definitely suggest wool socks. They are very good at pulling the sweat from your feet and keeping them as dry as possible, which is the key to preventing blisters and staying comfortable. As a bonus (and misty because they help keep your feet dry) they do better than normal cotton socks at keeping your feet warm when it’s cold and cool when it’s hot.

I’ve never heard anyone recommend cotton socks. They are typically considering undesirable to active wear, because they tend to retain moisture (sweat). Perhaps this is a Courtney recommendation or there is some other insight I haven’t heard before?
Fair point. I haven't been able to buy some for a while anyway so have been wearing bamboo socks. They are ok, but not wonderful.

For me having a breathable light sock under a thick wool second is the most important thing I’ve learned for non blister foot comfort

I have not had any issues so far with my Crispi socks. You can get them in different thickness for the weather. I can wear them with my Crispi or Courteney boots. Like @Kevin Peacocke said, I got inserts for my boots. In my opinion makes a big difference!
For miles on the treadmill and everyday wear, I wear feeture socks. I have walked miles upon miles in both brands of socks with zero issue.

0A3D2040-A945-4EE5-9CBA-89E081F410FF.png
3264B6B9-8EDD-4CB1-892E-DF9DE1EA6E86.png

When I fly I wear my nurse socks. They are compression socks. I have also worn my nurse socks hunting. I figured if I could spend 14hrs on my feet at work walking in them, I would give them a try hunting. They worked great also.

Mystery Ranch is who Sitka uses to make their packs. They are stellar gear. The Apex is a nice size for a day pack.

For warm weather hiking, Smartwool has always been the solution for me… when we lived near the Appalachian trail I did a good bit of spring and summer hiking …and on multiple summer tours in Iraq, smartwool got a lot of miles put on them… never a complaint…

Merino wool is an excellent choice but the best solution is Smartwool. Both wick moisture and both work extremely well in hot weather as well as cold. However, Smartwool is more durable. Unlike cotton, either is far less likely to cause a blister. If hunting in shorts, I use the ankle length that just tops out my Courteney boots. If wearing long pants, I use a boot length, over calf style.

I have never carried a pack in Africa. Neither, in all likelihood, will your PH.

Different issue if pursuing desert bighorn - but you would not be wearing Courteney boots - so I am guessing Africa?

Last edited:
I train and hunt with an Eberlestock Gun Runner using their hydration system. I have a larger Eberlestock One Pack if the hunt could involve packing out a larger load. IMO eberlestock has the absolute best rifle scabbard.

If it’s really serious, I use a custom external frame pack from Barney’s in Anchorage. In all truthfulness, my days of packing 200# loads out of the Brooks range are probably 20 years behind me. I should sell the Barney’s pack, but it carried a lot of memories out of the mountains.

Merino wool is an excellent choice but the best solution is Smartwool. Both wick moisture and both work extremely well in hot weather as well as cold. However, Smartwool is more durable. Unlike cotton, either is far less likely to cause a blister. If hunting in shorts, I use the ankle length that just tops out my Courteney boots. If wearing long pants, I use a boot length, over calf style.

I have never carried a pack in Africa.
I think the Smartwool brand uses merino wool.

I agree with this comment and would add: A loose fitting merino wool sock is not ideal. You want a running/hiking style wool sock that has elastic to keep it snug to your feet. Smartwool is a great choice. There are competitors at running stores that are also very good.

Merino wool all day, from either Crispi, KUIU, Smart Wool, or any others.

For me having a breathable light sock under a thick wool second is the most important thing I’ve learned for non blister foot comfort
I double sock if my feet feel a little tender. I have had a few heavy (10hrs ) walking and I usually double sock the next day. I use a backpack sometimes when videoing hunts to carry batteries etc and a long day in the african heat WILL leave you with a rash from sweat so avoid backpacks if you can. For a long walk in the bush, I like to have a few useful items- a small pack of wet wipes, chapstick,pocket knife. The trackers carry water. I would carry the minimum and any old backpack is good for sitting in the truck with sunglasses case/sun cream/ jacket etc. Walk light if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross