Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello all!!

Has anybody got any experience with the stated bullet? Im thinking about reloading it with my 7x64 and just want to get some feelers out there on performance on game. I would be looking at using it on deer in the UK and PG in Africa. I know its an interlocked bullet rather than a bonded but feel it should be a goodie.

Just had a look and there is also the Sierra gamechanger. Opinions if you may folks!!

Last edited:
I’m keen to hear results with this. Also shoot 7x64. Shoot on a syndicate with muntjac, occasional cwd, roe, fallow and red. Think it’s quite a technical challenge for a bullet

I've used it in 6.5 (143 gr) on big 300 lb+ deer at <250 yds to good effect. As an avid handloader/hunter, I have to say it's marketed as a long-range bullet, but doesn't quite provide the groups of the true long range bullets (i.e. Berger Hunting VLDs,) way out so i use the others when a long shot is presented and much favor the Nos Partitions for terminal performance on game at <400 yds. I've wanted to try the Nos E-tips and Hdy GMX but have not as of yet done so. I recommend 160s and heavier in 7 for PG. I'd think the solid copper bullets (Barnes TSX, GMX, etc.) might do less damage on the little stuff you mention, but also tend to penetrate well on PG. I've extensive experience shooting TSXs...good groups and excellent performance. If you're not shooting at long distance, there are better bullets out there for terminal performance.

Have used the 150 gr. eld-x out of a 280 Rem. It worked well on deer. 50 - 200 yards were the ranges. It seems a fairly soft quick opening design. I’d use it on cow elk, but cautiously, just behind the shoulder, probably not through it. For game much over 300-400 pounds, I think there are better bullets than the .284 150 gr. Eld-x. A heavier eld-x or a different design would be my preference for game much larger than deer.

At the moment I use 168grn nosler accubond LR. They drop deer like the hammer of Thor but the availability is a bit funny in the UK. And when you find them the shop want crazy money
I’m keen to hear results with this. Also shoot 7x64. Shoot on a syndicate with muntjac, occasional cwd, roe, fallow and red. Think it’s quite a technical challenge for a bullet
By the sounds of your syndicate you must shoot in East Anglia?

Have used the 180 gr .30 cal version in my .300 Win Mag on Nilgai. Decisive.

I have used the 143 gr in my 6.5 Creed. It is accurate for my shoots I have taken up to 300 yds. It did kill, but I was disappointed in blood trail and destruction. I quit using it. Had better performance with Non-Typical Whitetail. Much cheaper in cost, just as accurate and good terminal performance.

I cut my barrel from 22” to 18”. The shorter barrel does not like 140ish grain bullets. Like the 120-130 gr. better. Still working on sighting in for final ammo selection.

I've used rather extensively in my .260. No complaints, very accurate, no ridiculous meat destruction. Longest kill shot was 420 yards (whitetail deer) went around 25 yards after impact. Have shot to 650 on paper but past my comfort zone for hunting

Fine on deer size game, actually works great on them. I’ve shot two whitetail, an axis buck and a 7x8 bull elk with the 30-06 178gr ELD-X. All died but the axis and elk had horrible bullet performance. I shot the elk twice, near through the same hole and found one jacket hung in the lung tissue and I never found the core. The axis had some very odd fragmentation, exiting the far side but two holes on entry side. I found jacket in the hole marked drag. I will still shoot deer with it but nothing larger from now on.

B319B801-8EAB-4299-9B4E-A44EFC376E83.jpeg

Also interested for my incoming 7x64. I shoot the 165gr Gamechangers in my 30-06 and am very happy on larger plainsgame - Gemsbok, Zebra, Wildebeest etc. - at distances beyond 150m. On smaller animals (Springbok etc) its all about shot placement - if the shoulders are hit at higher velocity there will be bloodshot meat.

At the moment I use 168grn nosler accubond LR. They drop deer like the hammer of Thor but the availability is a bit funny in the UK. And when you find them the shop want crazy money

By the sounds of your syndicate you must shoot in East Anglia?

Ah yes. Nosler stuff is generally pricey with bad availability thought the products are great.

I'm wondering about the 160gr Sierra Gameking SBT or the 165gr Game Change (TGK)

And yes, in Norfolk

What l have shot and seen others shoot with ELD-X. Keep the muzzle velocity at or below 3000 fps and impact velocity below 2900 fps and it performs fine. Best performance is in the 2500 fps impact range.
I am trying the 165 grain game changer in my 7mm Weatherby mag. So far it has been very accurate, and good performance on pronghorn and deer sized game, from 75-340 yards. What l have seen the Sierra has a little thicker jacket. Not sure it would stand up to a elk shoulder at close range
Caliber's used
260 Remington- 143 grain ELD-X
6.5-284- 143 grain ELD-X
28 Nosler- 162 grain ELD-X
300 win mag- 212 grain ELD-X

7mm Weatherby- 165 grain Sierra

Thanks very much. Tempted to try the 165 as the rifle really likes the 160gr TMK which have used on my rifle clubs 200-600 yd range days.

Wonder if it would do double duty.

Scrummy

Fine on deer size game, actually works great on them. I’ve shot two whitetail, an axis buck and a 7x8 bull elk with the 30-06 178gr ELD-X. All died but the axis and elk had horrible bullet performance. I shot the elk twice, near through the same hole and found one jacket hung in the lung tissue and I never found the core. The axis had some very odd fragmentation, exiting the far side but two holes on entry side. I found jacket in the hole marked drag. I will still shoot deer with it but nothing larger from now on.

View attachment 367525
I guess thats tht pitfall of a non bonded bullet. Saying that I took a Roe buck VERY local to my house just as the lockdown started with the 168grn nosler accubond. I found a fair amount of shrapnel around the wound channel.

Thanks very much. Tempted to try the 165 as the rifle really likes the 160gr TMK which have used on my rifle clubs 200-600 yd range days.

Wonder if it would do double duty.

Scrummy
Thats what Im thinking. Shoot both target and game with the same bullet. The SMKs and the ELD-X seem to be about the same price

Hello all!!

Has anybody got any experience with the stated bullet? Im thinking about reloading it with my 7x64 and just want to get some feelers out there on performance on game. I would be looking at using it on deer in the UK and PG in Africa. I know its an interlocked bullet rather than a bonded but feel it should be a goodie.

Just had a look and there is also the Sierra gamechanger. Opinions if you may folks!!
@ Norfolk shooter
One person in our group in Namibia used the ELDX in a 300 Winchester magnum. Yes it killed game quite well BUT had a tendency for jacket and core separations. I personally like my bullets to hold together but dead is dead. They did do the job intended they kill game.
Bob

@ Norfolk shooter
One person in our group in Namibia used the ELDX in a 300 Winchester magnum. Yes it killed game quite well BUT had a tendency for jacket and core separations. I personally like my bullets to hold together but dead is dead. They did do the job intended they kill game.
Bob
Be interesting to know what weight it was and speed the bullet was going. Im with you though I would prefer my bullet to hold together

Be interesting to know what weight it was and speed the bullet was going. Im with you though I would prefer my bullet to hold together
@Scrumbag
It was a 212grain ELDX in a 300 win mag so I would guess it would be around 2,900fps. Even had core separations in warthog.
Bob

I used the 178 grain ELDX in 2018 to drop a Colorado Unit 12 900 lb bull Elk at 280 yards with a vintage Model 70 30'06. When at the range I chronyed the round at 2725 FPS. The first shot planted the bull,and my second shot dropped him at the spot of the first shot. The bullet entries were just a few inches apart, were recovered and retained 69% of their original weight. Both shots were lung/partial heart shots and bullets were on the opposite side of entry./ t was my first experience with that bullet and I would not hesitate to use it again. In Africa though, i think I will use either my Custom 35 Whelen AI or my CZ 9.3 x 62 both with Barnes bullets or Nosler Partitions..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg