Hornady bullets cost more than premium now?

T
Well that would make sense except usually companies don't sell at the price they need to profit on the materials they already own, they are selling based on the necessity of replacing those at current prices. But the whole thread started because I get that materials are expensive right now, but the process to produce an A-Frame (from a manufacturing standpoint) would necessarily be more complex and time consuming compared to the DGX, plus people are willing to pay for Swift's reputation as well. Also, copper is more expensive, but Barnes bullets aren't 100% more expensive. I would have to hear from someone who says "The bonded DGX bullets are better than an A-Frame"... I just don't see that happening.

Now don't get me wrong, I think hornady makes good bullets. But I don't think they're worth $140 for what amounts to some mild steel capped tube.(after all, they have very little copper in them) heated to bond the core, then squished together in a press to shape. Swift has to do the same thing, but with real gilding metal or copper and form the top and bottom cavities in the swaging process and then bond them. (That has to be tough because you cannot liquify the lead unless the whole bullet is in a mold because the lead would leak out of the bottom or top cavity. Then final swage to shape. Yet they are still cheaper.
The other side of the coin is that Hornady has somehow managed to have bullets to sell almost reliably when other manufactures are struggling.

Didn't read entire post, but Hdy generally comes in boxes of 100 whereas others are 50 (and even 20 in some cases!)

I'd wager the Hornady folk take some offence at the implication their bullets are somehow "inferior" to the supposed "premium" bullets. I find some humor in the bullet elitists that think one must only fire $1.50-$5.00 bullets at game; those $0.15-$0.75 bullets somehow are incapable of killing efficiently or humanely.
Wonder what all those deer, elk, bear and antelope thought when I flung $0.07-$0.10 bulk packaged Remington Corelokts at them? Probably complaining about the cheap SOB that just put them in the freezer.

My family and I have hunted extensively with Hornady loaded ammo. My dad and I have killed a pile of animals with 180gr interlocks. I’ve always considered them a premium ammo company. Between family and friends we have this one weatherby rifle that has killed something like 200 big game animals with factory Hornady 180 gr interlocks.

They killed their 4507 to force everyone to buy the DGX and DGSin the .458s. The interbond was literally all that is needed for Conus. It appears Speer is doing similar as part of ATK. Get rid of anything that can be shot cheaper to push folks to the premium bullets.

The idea that any bullet manufacturer stopped production on a line to force people to use their more expensive bullet would be ignoring the reality of economics. Unless ALL the manufacturers stopped making "cheap" bullets, consumers will simply switch brands. Maybe bitch a little while doing so, but they will switch.
To say any one bullet is all that is needed for any locale would be blasphemy to any who like some other make/model/type of bullet to hunt the same locale. Just think how boring the internet would be if there were only one bullet for all of us to use. What, pray tell, would we argue about?!? :cool:

Just to be clear, I have no dog in this fight. I have and use bullets from a couple dozen different makers. Even use some of them expensive chunks of lead on a regular basis. I like variety, and choice.

The idea that any bullet manufacturer stopped production on a line to force people to use their more expensive bullet would be ignoring the reality of economics. Unless ALL the manufacturers stopped making "cheap" bullets, consumers will simply switch brands. Maybe bitch a little while doing so, but they will switch.
Not always possible. I did switch over to the 400gr SPRN from Speer...which then dried up. I was hoping to maintain a 500 grain load.
To say any one bullet is all that is needed for any locale would be blasphemy to any who like some other make/model/type of bullet to hunt the same locale. Just think how boring the internet would be if there were only one bullet for all of us to use. What, pray tell, would we argue about?!? :cool:
Pretty sure a .458 Lott firing a 500 gr bonded soft point kills anything in the CONUS. Even the most disgruntled moose, bison, or grizzly bear. Bring it on. Boom...flop, bounce and skid. Other pet calibers are welcome to apply as I have so obviously done here.
Just to be clear, I have no dog in this fight. I have and use bullets from a couple dozen different makers. Even use some of them expensive chunks of lead on a regular basis. I like variety, and choice.
I'd like the supply chain to open back up just long enough for me to secure a few thousand projectiles at a reasonable price.

Not always possible. I did switch over to the 400gr SPRN from Speer...which then dried up. I was hoping to maintain a 500 grain load.

Pretty sure a .458 Lott firing a 500 gr bonded soft point kills anything in the CONUS. Even the most disgruntled moose, bison, or grizzly bear. Bring it on. Boom...flop, bounce and skid. Other pet calibers are welcome to apply as I have so obviously done here.

I'd like the supply chain to open back up just long enough for me to secure a few thousand projectiles at a reasonable price.
Hmmm...moving goal posts....
Now we have switched to being caliber/bullet/weight specific. Still not an issue. You are confusing your desire to stick with a given weight of bullet, when the original opining was a manufacturer stopping production of a less expensive line of bullet to make us buy expensive ones. While you might need to be patient, and persistent, there are .458 500gr bullets to be found. Put in the effort; it will be rewarded, eventually.
Can't argue that the 458 Lott will kill anything on earth. That's pretty much a given. But that's different than saying the Interbond is the only bullet needed to kill anything in conus. I bet there are others out there that will say there are better bullets to choose from. Some might even say the Interbond failed them one time, years ago, so they won't ever use them again. In conus, there are literally dozens of calibers, and even more selections of bullets, that will also kill anything in conus. I would wager the 458 Lott is actually a minority choice amongst US, one gun hunters.
The food chain will return. After the perfect storm we have experienced over the last 2 years, it will take some time. Odds are, when the dust does settle, the new normal will see some level of increase in the cost of components and manufactured ammo. Let us hope it doesn't look like what we've seen on GB over the past 2 years. Btw, if you want to plink a lot with that particular caliber with inexpensive bullets, go to Acme Bullets and get some of their coated cast. They work great http://www.acmebullet.com/45-70/500RNFP
Happy Hunting!

I used to be a big customer of Hornady bullets before their opportunistic pricing increases. They do make good bullets and I have a cabinet full of them but I haven’t and will not buy anymore until sanity returns to the market or I use up what I have. Just one customers prerogative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENNNadine8

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you