Hornady bullets cost more than premium now?

You might rethink that.

Economically, the price for which an item is sold is the balance point of the flow of goods, AKA "the law of supply and demand."

If the seller asks too much, his inventory sits on his shelves and he loses money. If the seller asks too little, inventory flies off the shelves and his supply chain cannot keep up with the demand at that low price, and he still loses money.

If Mr. Potterfield is asking too much for some of his products, he'll find out quickly that he's made a mistake and will lower them. OTOH, if the market exists for those products at the higher prices, we only really have fellow shooters to blame. Their demand at that higher price is what's driving the increase, not Potterfield's greed.
I haven’t looked at Midway for anything for weeks, until this afternoon. I was looking at reloading dies and a couple of other items that have been “out of stock, no back order” for months. Some of those items have increased in price and you can’t even order them! Crazy!

I haven’t looked at Midway for anything for weeks, until this afternoon. I was looking at reloading dies and a couple of other items that have been “out of stock, no back order” for months. Some of those items have increased in price and you can’t even order them! Crazy!
@CoElkHunter
You may have to emigrate to Australia grasshopper. No shortage of dies, plenty of primers, reasonable supply of powders and STABLE prices.
I bought a box of 250 grain hornaday round nose box of 100 for 62 dollars Australian or around $47 U.S. , a box of 338 win mag is around $67 AUD.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
You may have to emigrate to Australia grasshopper. No shortage of dies, plenty of primers, reasonable supply of powders and STABLE prices.
I bought a box of 250 grain hornaday round nose box of 100 for 62 dollars Australian or around $47 U.S. , a box of 338 win mag is around $67 AUD.
Bob
Wow Bob, those are very good prices! Maybe Midway Australia will open up a business there and you could pay double those prices? Then we could all commiserate together? Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH

one of the great things about midway is the "notify me" button. graf's has it, too. powder valley does not, or if it does, i have not figured out how to go about using it

the SAF 160 .284 I ordered last friday...I had them ordered within about 5 minutes of the email hitting my inbox.

that and the 280AI RCBS dies

one of the great things about midway is the "notify me" button. graf's has it, too. powder valley does not, or if it does, i have not figured out how to go about using it

the SAF 160 .284 I ordered last friday...I had them ordered within about 5 minutes of the email hitting my inbox.

I have done that on multiple sites. But it’s a “death march”. Will they notify you the dies are in before you die (pun intended)? Or apparently, before they ship them to OZ according to Field Marshall Bob Townsend Nelson? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Last edited:
You have to be quick on those Notify Me when it is back in stock.

A few years ago I was on a number of list for that. One day I got the email and quickly checked only to find the product back out of stock. I then clicked on the notify me box again.

I then started checking the web site a few times a day, then I saw my product back in stock. I quickly ordered it. A hour or so later I got the email, I went and looked at the product only to find that it was out of stock again.

I have also been on list that I have never been notified of what I wanted.

You have to be quick on those Notify Me when it is back in stock.

A few years ago I was on a number of list for that. One day I got the email and quickly checked only to find the product back out of stock. I then clicked on the notify me box again.

I then started checking the web site a few times a day, then I saw my product back in stock. I quickly ordered it. A hour or so later I got the email, I went and looked at the product only to find that it was out of stock again.

I have also been on list that I have never been notified of what I wanted.
I know. Been there before. I keep checking my emails several times a day, but nothing yet. I'm not in a hurry though. But, I don't really remember reloading equipment (presses, dies, etc.) shortages to this extent and length in past armageddons, but maybe I'm wrong?

I have done that on multiple sites. But it’s a “death march”. Will they notify you the dies are in before you die (pun intended)? Or apparently, before they ship them to OZ according to Field Marshall Bob Townsend Nelson? Ha! Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
If'n y'all want I can get dies in OZ and ship them to you for about the same price or less than you get them. If'n I could ship projectiles to you I gladly would. I know I can send brass and barrels to the U.S. been there done that.
Thank you for the promotion young grasshopper.
Bob

@Sgt Zim
The price of 280AI dies in AUD it translates to about 50 bucks US
Screenshot_20210602-093056_Chrome.jpg

Bob

@CoElkHunter
If'n y'all want I can get dies in OZ and ship them to you for about the same price or less than you get them. If'n I could ship projectiles to you I gladly would. I know I can send brass and barrels to the U.S. been there done that.
Thank you for the promotion young grasshopper.
Bob
Bob,
I really appreciate the thought. But, the shipping costs would probably be prohibitive and the USPS would probably lose the package anyway. I'm not in any real hurry, so I'll just spend ALL of my time checking the scalper sites here and there until one of them is drunk enough and posts a fair sale on an item I'm looking for. And, you deserve the promotion for all your hard work posting and responding to all the threads and posts here on AH!
CEH

I know it's easy to blame the retailers for the prices we are seeing, but have any of you looked at what copper, steel, lead, and brass are trading at? The prices on raw components have gone up 2-4x what they were at last year, about this time. Until this bs virus crap gets out of the way, and shipping gets back to normal, and raw material supply lines get back on track, prices are going to be elevated.
Those willing to feed the beast, that is, pay the scalpers, don't help. But so many have fallen into the panic mode, they will pay $350/1k for primers or $150/lb for powder.
Actually went to a store the other day, I don't do that often, there was ammo on the shelves. Not a lot, but 3 months ago, there was none. I've been getting powder at normal, ~$30+-/lb, by patiently browsing online. Best guesses I've seen indicate we will see the drought start to diminish by the end of the year. Optimistic that normalcy might return by 2023; as long as the Bidet in the White House doesn't f it up any worse than he has already.

I understand that the price of materials and shipping are higher right now.but both .458 DGX and .458 Swift Aframes are in stock at midway right now and the A-Frames are $30 cheaper for 50 bullets than the DGX. Does Hornady literally think their DGX is better than an A-Frame?
Screenshot_20210605-003639_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210605-003634_Chrome.jpg

I sincerely hope people aren't buying them at that price...

I understand that the price of materials and shipping are higher right now.but both .458 DGX and .458 Swift Aframes are in stock at midway right now and the A-Frames are $30 cheaper for 50 bullets than the DGX. Does Hornady literally think their DGX is better than an A-Frame? View attachment 405606
View attachment 405607

I sincerely hope people aren't buying them at that price...
It could well be as simple as Swift is still running on materials they had, where Hornady is having to buy at current prices. I bet we see a bit of a roller coaster in prices as companies balance the need to be profitable and still be competitive while raw material prices and supplies are all over the board.

You might rethink that.

Economically, the price for which an item is sold is the balance point of the flow of goods, AKA "the law of supply and demand."

If the seller asks too much, his inventory sits on his shelves and he loses money. If the seller asks too little, inventory flies off the shelves and his supply chain cannot keep up with the demand at that low price, and he still loses money.

If Mr. Potterfield is asking too much for some of his products, he'll find out quickly that he's made a mistake and will lower them. OTOH, if the market exists for those products at the higher prices, we only really have fellow shooters to blame. Their demand at that higher price is what's driving the increase, not Potterfield's greed.
Well put. I and my countrymen live in a world called 'captive market', but amazingly there is no gouging, just a fair bite all the way up the supply chain. The problem is that chain is long and there are many bites. I recently paid US$500 for 50 Hornady 375H&H DGX, 50 DGS and 100 cases. By the time those are loaded for me maybe $8 a shot. I dont think that is bad considering the three country procedure.

It could well be as simple as Swift is still running on materials they had, where Hornady is having to buy at current prices. I bet we see a bit of a roller coaster in prices as companies balance the need to be profitable and still be competitive while raw material prices and supplies are all over the board.
Well that would make sense except usually companies don't sell at the price they need to profit on the materials they already own, they are selling based on the necessity of replacing those at current prices. But the whole thread started because I get that materials are expensive right now, but the process to produce an A-Frame (from a manufacturing standpoint) would necessarily be more complex and time consuming compared to the DGX, plus people are willing to pay for Swift's reputation as well. Also, copper is more expensive, but Barnes bullets aren't 100% more expensive. I would have to hear from someone who says "The bonded DGX bullets are better than an A-Frame"... I just don't see that happening.

Now don't get me wrong, I think hornady makes good bullets. But I don't think they're worth $140 for what amounts to some mild steel capped tube.(after all, they have very little copper in them) heated to bond the core, then squished together in a press to shape. Swift has to do the same thing, but with real gilding metal or copper and form the top and bottom cavities in the swaging process and then bond them. (That has to be tough because you cannot liquify the lead unless the whole bullet is in a mold because the lead would leak out of the bottom or top cavity. Then final swage to shape. Yet they are still cheaper.

I do like the Interlock performance on thin skinned game of North America. I found a way around the system you might say. Hornady had a program that I would capitalize on through 2021. It was called 'Get Loaded'. When you would purchase a set of Hornady reloading dies (which I have actually grown quite fond of for hunting ammunition), you would fill out an online rebate form and they would send you a box of Interlocks for free (you paid shipping). Even with 2021 being what it was, they kept sending me bullets! It was like buying the dies and getting the projectiles for free. I've had good results with 'em on whitetails with the old .257 Bob. I bet I knocked down 8 boxes over the course of two years and added some dies that I needed anyway. It's been a win-win!

10620638_389074991249473_2422990637912245930_n.jpg
20161210_164542.jpg

Reading the above, I am glad to have picked up adequate .411 bullets and .458 bullets a few years ago. I reload to hunt and DO NOT waste ammo on plinking except for a .22 long rifle. Of all the Safari and other special hunt ammo I loaded, most is unfired and stored for future use.

I have a .458DR coming on line and will waste no ammo past the post regulation acceptance tests.
Waste not, want not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauChilds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you