Hogs

Could you pm me pics ?

I will show them here, as I´m sure other forum members will enjoy them

IMG_0259.JPG


Not a good pic, as I shot him early in the morning as he was quite stiff when pic was taken later in the day, but he is quite big, close to the next one.


IMG_0043 (2).JPG


Probably my best.

IMG_0001.JPG


A huge female.


IMG_0213.JPG


Middle one is quite good
 
Last edited:
Been told South African bushpigs are too big to shoot with a 223 , but I see many people in America shoot hogs with 223 . I’d be shooting out of a hunting rifle not an AR , any opinions on the matter ?
@Carter123
While the 223 may kill pigs with well placed shots there is no room for error. Personally I like anything from 25 cal up.
There are a lot of people on this site that swear by the various 6mm rounds. Having shot hundreds of pigs with rifles from 22 to 444 marlin except the 6mms as I find them some what lacking on bigger Boars. For close range work a good 12 gauge with solid slugs or buckshot leaves nothin to be desired and ends any argument very dramatically.
Bob
 
I do have other rifles available, mainly 308 and 270 was just wondering if a 223 would be effective [emoji106][emoji106]
@Carter123
Asking questions is the only way to learn. As others are saying the 223 may do the job but the 308 or 270 would be far better choices
 
Yep, I’ve killed one bush pig. I happened to have a .458 Lott in my hands. Turns out that is enough gun for a bush pig. [emoji41]
@WAB
Are you sure you had enough gun for the bush pig. May be a bit light on some of them
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
 
I shot a smaller one a few years ago with my 5.56 with 70g Barnes TSX and put him down. Last year I was on a hound hunt and the dog handler wanted me to shoot it with his .222. I put two right on the shoulder from 10 yards with no reaction. Ran out of shells and yelled at the tracker for my .300 Win and smoked him! Had I shot with the 5.56 with the 70g Barnew would it have been different? I think so but I won’t be doing that again with a borrowed gun.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,939
Members
169,654
Latest member
Dickensuny
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top