Hogs

Could you pm me pics ?

I will show them here, as I´m sure other forum members will enjoy them

IMG_0259.JPG

Not a good pic, as I shot him early in the morning as he was quite stiff when pic was taken later in the day, but he is quite big, close to the next one.

IMG_0043 (2).JPG

Probably my best.

IMG_0001.JPG

A huge female.

IMG_0213.JPG

Middle one is quite good

Last edited:
Been told South African bushpigs are too big to shoot with a 223 , but I see many people in America shoot hogs with 223 . I’d be shooting out of a hunting rifle not an AR , any opinions on the matter ?
@Carter123
While the 223 may kill pigs with well placed shots there is no room for error. Personally I like anything from 25 cal up.
There are a lot of people on this site that swear by the various 6mm rounds. Having shot hundreds of pigs with rifles from 22 to 444 marlin except the 6mms as I find them some what lacking on bigger Boars. For close range work a good 12 gauge with solid slugs or buckshot leaves nothin to be desired and ends any argument very dramatically.
Bob

I do have other rifles available, mainly 308 and 270 was just wondering if a 223 would be effective
@Carter123
Asking questions is the only way to learn. As others are saying the 223 may do the job but the 308 or 270 would be far better choices

Yep, I’ve killed one bush pig. I happened to have a .458 Lott in my hands. Turns out that is enough gun for a bush pig.
@WAB
Are you sure you had enough gun for the bush pig. May be a bit light on some of them
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I shot a smaller one a few years ago with my 5.56 with 70g Barnes TSX and put him down. Last year I was on a hound hunt and the dog handler wanted me to shoot it with his .222. I put two right on the shoulder from 10 yards with no reaction. Ran out of shells and yelled at the tracker for my .300 Win and smoked him! Had I shot with the 5.56 with the 70g Barnew would it have been different? I think so but I won’t be doing that again with a borrowed gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Link45

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?