Heym Express Rifle Which Calibre?

Which Calibre?

• Total voters
As the only one voted for the Lott so far here are the pros.
With 450gr bullets you can download it to hit at 2200fps more than enough for anything.
Pile more in the magazine than the 450 Rigby and 416 Rigby with their fat cases.
Brass lasts much longer with straight walls and cheaper.

So to replace your working lott rifle with this would be my choice.
Sure you can stick to 500gr bullets but if ever you want it to be a client rifle the 450gr would be more controlable for the average hunter. But still pack a serious punch.
I love the Lott it’s an awesome cartridge

I would get the 404 it has a better and longer history than the 416. If it wasn't for the writings of Robert Ruark the 416 would have faded into obscurity. The 404 did all the heavy lifting before WW1and up until kynoh quit producing ammo. the 416 has much better availability of ammo and components. I am in the sorting through the safe to kinda cull the herd so to speak and have a 404 and a highly upgraded 416 CZ, one will be going and one staying. I will be keeping my 404.
Well please let us/me know when you’re ready to sell that 416!

404 Jeff (y)

Get a Rigby in 416 Rigby next time :giggle:

I have a Heym Express in 375 H&H and like it a lot. Not sure how it would be for Australia but for North America, 375 H&H would be more versatile in my opinion.

Having said that, if I were to get a 416 Rigby, I would rather get it in a Rigby Big Game rifle.

I have a Heym Express in 375 H&H and like it a lot. Not sure how it would be for Australia but for North America, 375 H&H would be more versatile in my opinion.

Having said that, if I were to get a 416 Rigby, I would rather get it in a Rigby Big Game rifle.
It still a Mauser with rigby cosmetics.english cant beat Germans in quality. That is why they borrow German barreled action. They are good in Double rifles.
Krish

First allow me to congratulate you on deciding on Heym. I believe it is one of the best deals going in this market and would be my first choice for a turn bolt Express style rifle.

404J over the 416RIGBY and here are my reasons.

I prefer the streamlined case design of the 404J over the pronounced shoulder found on the 416RIGBY. Easier feeding for the 404J, even in a CRF rifle this can be an issue.

Sticking with the streamlined theme... The beautiful lines and balance of the Heym Martini Express are done by conserving weight. The softer shooting 404J is better suited to the svelte Heym and I seriously doubt the Buffalo on the other end will notice the difference in energy between the two.

IMO - If you want a 416RIGBY, do it properly with a Rigby Big Game, PH or London Best.

Yes ammo could be an issue. But if you can afford a Ferrari, you should't complain about having to buy the premium fuel it consumes. This goes for any DG caliber rifle.

The Heym is a classic with the current design. It's understated elegance without being overly extravagant. Incredible engineering with the artistic execution of a master. In the end it's what the rifle (and the cartridge) says about you.

Let us know what you decide.

I’m thinking about one in 300 h&h…saw some pics on Heym’s facebook page and decided I wanted one!

Not a big bore, but a classic African for plains game nonetheless!

IMG_1322.jpg

First allow me to congratulate you on deciding on Heym. I believe it is one of the best deals going in this market and would be my first choice for a turn bolt Express style rifle.

I prefer the streamlined case design of the 404J over the pronounced shoulder found on the 416RIGBY. Easier feeding for the 404J, even in a CRF rifle this can be an issue.

Sticking with the streamlined theme... The beautiful lines and balance of the Heym Martini Express are done by conserving weight. The softer shooting 404J is better suited to the svelte Heym and I seriously doubt the Buffalo on the other end will notice the difference in energy between the two.

IMO - If you want a 416RIGBY, do it properly with a Rigby Big Game, PH or London Best.

Yes ammo could be an issue. But if you can afford a Ferrari, you should't complain about having to buy the premium fuel it consumes. This goes for any DG caliber rifle.

The Heym is a classic with the current design. It's understated elegance without being overly extravagant. Incredible engineering with the artistic execution of a master. In the end it's what the rifle (and the cartridge) says about you.

I totally go with this logic! I’m very pro owning the rifle of the original proprietor so I’d say get the Lott since it has no proprietary gun maker. Think I may just do the same and sell the CZ…

I’m thinking about one in 300 h&h…saw some pics on Heym’s facebook page and decided I wanted one!

Not a big bore, but a classic African for plains game nonetheless!

View attachment 511043

I want one in 404, I believe they call this model „President”.

Cost of ammo doesn’t worry me it’s more the availability of it, same goes for reloading components there is not a lot available in Australia for the 404J, my opinion on the 416 vs the 404 is pretty much purely based on that. Both awesome cartridges and I’d be more than happy with either one as long as I can get something to feed it.

Cost of ammo doesn’t worry me it’s more the availability of it, same goes for reloading components there is not a lot available in Australia for the 404J, my opinion on the 416 vs the 404 is pretty much purely based on that. Both awesome cartridges and I’d be more than happy with either one as long as I can get something to feed it.
In fact that's exactly what I was thinking about before getting my .404.

I talked to my smith and ordered the amount of brass and other components that fit my needs over the next 10 to 15 years... that's a period of time which makes me sleep well :)

375 H&H goes into a H&H Rifle.
416 Rigby goes into a Rigby Rifle
450 Rigby goes into a Rigby Rifle
458 Lott goes into.. well, CZ and Win 70

404 Jeffery goes into a Heym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg