Help putting Humpty Dumpty back together - mod 70 win

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I picked up a peach of a flawed mod 70 pre-64 Winchester in .375 H&H. Gun is a standard grade made in 1953.

The gun was sold at a depressed price for a lot of reversible reasons. Anyone have parts or suggestions on where to find parts as follows?

1.) stock was chopped and no pad. That makes me happy, I'll put a 1" red Winchester on it from Galazan.

2.) sight hood missing. Anyone know a location to get one?

3.) sling studs and sling swivels missing. Where do I get correct oem?

4.) (the big one) the gun has no rear sight but it is drilled and tapped. I believe it came that way as it has an old peep sight on it. Where can I find the right standing/folding rear sight and base for a 1953 375 H&H? NECG says I must scrounge for it.

5.) what is the best mount for this gun so it looks correct and so I can have 30mm quick detach rings on it? Would like good quality. Factory pre drilled rifle so I need something that will match up.

6.) front floor plate screw is buggered. Does it need to be cleaned up, tigged, recut and blued or can I buy this somewhere?

Only other things wrong with the gun was the stock was refinished (very well) and the bore was filthy. (But perfect under all the crud) Also, the metal was in about 90% condition.

Considering I wanted a functional gun that looked good, I thought all this gun's maladies were pretty reasonable and could be overcome for reasonable money.

I paid $1600 of at all places, Cabelas.

Thanks for any education you can provide. I've tried the following for parts to no avail: NECG, numrichs, Midwest gun works.

Oh I don't know rook, it seems this is beyond repair. You should just send this rifle to me and relieve yourself of the stress of it all........:rolleyes:

Ringmount bases? What about Warne Maxima? Steel, classy and will accept anything that fits on a Weaver base, including, naturally, the Warne Maxima QD lever type mounts. I have Warne QD on my Brno .30-06 and they give me perfect repeatability.

rookhawk,

The best place I've found to get Win M70 Pre-64 small parts like you're talking about is eBay believe it or not. Do a search for Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 rifle and you'll be surprised at what comes up. Sight hoods, mag boxes, parts, etc.

Also try Wisener's... they machine a lot of Pre-64 parts. Also Midwest Gun Works....although be careful as some of their parts are Post-64 Classic parts. I'll try and get links for other places I've found stuff at......

Sounds like that rifle can be put together again fairly easily. A large gun show will often have a parts and sights guy. For instance, the Chantilly show in Northern Va has such a vendor. That is a likely place for both the sights and studs. I just did a google search and came up with a couple of pre-64 Winchester parts guys who you could call. Finally, ebay, carries a lot of that sort of thing. Again, I just ran a "pre-64 Winchester" search and came up with studs and sling swivels. I recently found an original set of the hook type express rifle sling swivels for an early .300 H&H which I own. The "period" thing for a dismountable scope was the old Griffin & Howe side mount. For about a grand, they will do one today. Unfortunately, they are big and clunky, however well they work. I personally think Talley detachable scope rings are the best in the world http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/ and would not be entirely out of place on a early model 70. Warne rings are similar and cost a bit less than the Talley rings and are also readily available for a model 70. Both, but particularly the Talley's, look a lot like custom rings created by a couple of gunsmiths at the time. I am sure Velo will chime in that you could also do claw mounts which are unchanged for more than a century. He is right and JJ Perodeau http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=37 is likely the only man in the country who can do a truly traditional set. They will cost you around fifteen to eighteen hundred. Were it me, I would do the Talley's. With just a little patience, I am confident that you can set that girl right again.

AEW mounts.
2013-10-18 001 2013-10-18 006.JPG
2013-10-18 001 2013-10-18 009.JPG

A couple of sources for the parts you're looking for:

Wisener's Gun Parts
http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/winchester-model-70-pre-64/

Numrich Gun Parts Corp.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...s-42602/70Pre64Series-40340/70Pre64-34243.htm

eBay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...nkw=winchester+pre+64+model+70+rifle&_sacat=0

Also, one of the best "investments" I made for my pre-64 Win M70 was this manual I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-...320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee12a96c0

It was written/illustrated many years ago (1958?) and "approved" by the New Haven, CT plant back in the 70's supposedly as a guide for the complete dis-assembly of a Winchester M70 Pre-64 action (i.e. not just field stripping). The first thing I did when I received my 1947 WinM70 barreled action was to completely strip the action and clean all of the grime and residue out of all the little holes, slots, etc., as well as completely clean and degrease all of he springs, plungers, and small parts, and the re-oil, re-grease, and re-assemble everything using this manual. The next thing I did was start putting together spare parts for the eventuality that something may break and it's going to be a bear to replace. My pre-64 is going to be converted to a 9.3 x 62 (Mauser) someday with a nice piece of English walnut to dress it in.

The one thing that's crazy about the "pre-64" parts market that I've found is how much supply and demands economics come into play. The rarer the part, the crazier the price seemingly ;)

Anyway, hope this helps.......

I appreciate the salute from Redleg and agree with him that Talley QD is a good choice for a Mod-70.
The original ones are my favorite Talleys but the newer style / Weaver compatible Talleys are excellent as well, just not as streamlined.
Claw mounts are supreme but not sure they'd look "right" on a Mod-70.
Maybe so, maybe not but their cost is huge.
Also, somehow a 30mm scope seems out of place on a 1953 rifle but I've not seen your scope and rifle together so, I might be totally wrong about that.
Once I had a Pre-64 Mod 70 in .375 H&H and it was a great rifle, definitely an American and African classic.

Last edited:
Rookhawk

I have taken my front sight hood off from my .375H&H Mod70 due to it snagging on branches / thorns – if you do not manage to find one, PM me with your details and I’ll throw it in the post for you.

Regards

Wow Boela, thanks!

Dtroymoritz at gmail is how to reach me.

Still looking for a rear sight called a 70b rollover rear sight. It has an 1-1/4" spacing and was made for the 375 H&H model specifically. Glad to pay as they have decent value.

Rookhawk

I have taken my front sight hood off from my .375H&H Mod70 due to it snagging on branches / thorns – if you do not manage to find one, PM me with your details and I’ll throw it in the post for you.

Regards

Wow Boela, thanks!

Dtroymoritz at gmail is how to reach me.

Still looking for a rear sight called a 70b rollover rear sight. It has an 1-1/4" spacing and was made for the 375 H&H model specifically. Glad to pay as they have decent value.

I touch down in Jo'burg Sunday the 24th. If you can get this piece to Jacques Spamer sometime between now and then, I can get it from him and bring it back with me.

Okay Phil, I'm officially confused now. :)

What does Jo'Burg and Jacques Spamer have to do with anything? (I'm dense here and not following along)

Enjoy SA by the way! I leave for Jo'Burg / Bulawayo Zim on the 28th myself.

Okay Phil, I'm officially confused now. :)

What does Jo'Burg and Jacques Spamer have to do with anything? (I'm dense here and not following along)

Enjoy SA by the way! I leave for Jo'Burg / Bulawayo Zim on the 28th myself.

Boela is in South Africa. I will be there in 11 days. If Boela can get the part to Jacques Spamer my outfitter and PH, I can then bring it back to the U.S. At least I think I can.

Ah, thanks Phx Phil, lightbulb is on now!

To others, I've exhausted all common sources for my rear sight.

If you know of a model 70b roll over rear sight, I'm interested in a source. None of the Internet resellers have them. It was used on 375 H&H from 1953-1964 and only on that model, thus it would need to be on a gun that had it removed. :(

rook hawk,

I'll keep an eye out for the sight as I'm always perusing the internet for parts, but I bet it will be a pretty penny if you do find one. I've never seen a rear sight like that before. Always learning something new....

I did find a pre-64 rear sight for an Winchester M70 African in 458 Win Mag on Gun Broker where the bidding was starting at $327 and change.....:eek:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=483032523

Good luck in your quest.....

Anyone have optics recommendations? I was thinking a 30mm swaro 1-6 straight tube extended eye relief. Anything better suited to this gun for versatility for dik dik through dagga boys?

Believe I have the sight your are looking for, came off of a 375 that I refinished with a 499xxx serial number. Also have a front sight hood and the bottom metal with screws plus the trigger guard.
The screw holes fore the the sight measure 1.25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg