Help! American/British Airways has cancelled my flights

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
I need some help from my AH brethren. Since Delta stopped the Atlanta to JNB service, I booked on American from DFW to London to JNB with service by British Air. Now BA has cancelled my flights at the end of June. I've seen postings from others about a great travel agent who took care of flights, etc. and I need some help with alternates to get me to JNB in the June 30 to July 2 time period for my safari in Limpopo.
Thanks in advance guys!

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. I ended up flying with Qatar Airways without any problem. You might consider them.

Regards,

BA, canceled my flight from Austin to Heathrow in July. I would suggest you look at Qatar or Turkish (from Houston). Or Ethiopian, but that’s a hassle from Texas, unless they restart their Houston flight.

I need some help from my AH brethren. Since Delta stopped the Atlanta to JNB service, I booked on American from DFW to London to JNB with service by British Air. Now BA has cancelled my flights at the end of June. I've seen postings from others about a great travel agent who took care of flights, etc. and I need some help with alternates to get me to JNB in the June 30 to July 2 time period for my safari in Limpopo.
Thanks in advance guys!
I leave on Qatar airways on Monday try them.

Qatar seems to be the most reliable right now. That is who we rebooked on when Delta canceled our flights although our trip isn't until June 8th. The downside to going Qatar is that we have to leave a day earlier to keep the same schedule in Africa.

I know a lot of people push travel agents but I've never seen the need especially for just getting to South Africa. I can book a flight and change a flight by making a phone call. It really isn't that difficult. There is enough information on this site that you can do what you need if taking weapons on the flight. If you think you need a travel agent at this point, by all means get one. Travel Ecpress gets great reviews. Peace of mind and comfort are worth the cost for a lot of people.

I hear Quatar is your best option for the moment but if I may ask why go thourgh all the trouble for a short safari of 3 days? Especially considering Covid testing?

United is still flying. My buddy just booked to Johannesburg on June 14Th after cancellation from BA.

Another vote for Qatar, although United out of EWR may be another good option. Possibly less flight time as it is direct EWR to JNB.
Regarding Travel Agents, I believe I heard Travel Express was not taking new clients right now due to heavy travel load. You may consider getting in touch with Gracy Travel. They are very good as well.

United is still flying. My buddy just booked to Johannesburg on June 14Th after cancellation from BA.

I talked to United on Friday, they told me the first JNB flight is June 3 or 4th and it is a go. I am booked for later in June.

Thanks in advance guys!

Did you get a full refund? Regardless, as others have said, Qatar is great.

+1 for Qatar. I think they have a flight from DFW into Doha and straight into JNB on a relatively short layover. Best of luck in re-booking your flights and hope you get to enjoy your hunt

Thanks guys for all the input. American managed to get me rescheduled and I'm currently set to go two days later than planned. Fingers crossed there are no more issues.

Reactions: WAB
Thanks guys for all the input. American managed to get me rescheduled and I'm currently set to go two days later than planned. Fingers crossed there are no more issues.

@chashardy be aware that your newly booked flight itinerary may get cancelled as well. Monitor it closely.

AA or BA did not inform me that my original flight from London to JNB was cancelled. I only found out when I called BA a month prior to my departure to notify them of my intention to travel with a firearm. AA then changed my itinerary for me but only 4 days later the flight from JNB to London in the new itinerary was cancelled. Again AA nor BA failed to notify me of the cancelation. That's when I decided to go with Qatar Airways.

Good luck with the travel arrangements and have fun in Africa.

Regards,

I am in Anchorage, awaiting my final flight home tomorrow, after a first ever trip to South Africa. The two commonalities - Lori and Qatar Airways - made my trip easy and comfortable. It could not have been better.

@chashardy be aware that your newly booked flight itinerary may get cancelled as well. Monitor it closely.

AA or BA did not inform me that my original flight from London to JNB was cancelled. I only found out when I called BA a month prior to my departure to notify them of my intention to travel with a firearm. AA then changed my itinerary for me but only 4 days later the flight from JNB to London in the new itinerary was cancelled. Again AA nor BA failed to notify me of the cancelation. That's when I decided to go with Qatar Airways.

Good luck with the travel arrangements and have fun in Africa.

Regards,
As above no flights showing to johannesburg in june with ba flights available for july but that will probably change as uk listing south africa as a red list country will not change anytime soon that will kill uk demand for that desination and therefore flights out of heathrow.

In my recent experience, Qatar is paranoid about firearms and the flight deck crew needs to know they are on board. I would guess that info is somewhere in the manifest. At some point, either in transit or in Africa, I got a voicemail from Qatar asking me my whereabouts and a question on the firearms. I don't know what it was about because I never responded. My two firearms did make it all the way through all flights. Bottom line for me anyway, not using an agent and flying a foreign carrier transiting multiple countries and dealing with gate agents unfamiliar with the process is asking for trouble. In the immortal words of Mike Tyson "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". YMMV.

Last edited:
My hunt party leaves mid July. 2 of us are on the Qatar flight from DFW. 5 are on the United flight from Newark. The last I checked, both birds were about 1/2 full but still appeared to be going.

My hunt party leaves mid July. 2 of us are on the Qatar flight from DFW. 5 are on the United flight from Newark. The last I checked, both birds were about 1/2 full but still appeared to be going.
I was surprised at the Qatar flight from Doha to Joberg was at about half but the return Joberg to Doha was almost full. The Doha to Philly leg was packed too.
Side note: On arrival in Philly, the economy section looked like a garbage dump. Water bottles, food trays, napkins and any other items given to passengers were strewn all over the floor, under the seats and even in the aisles. The air carrier may be rated highly but some of the passengers were definitely third world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!