Hello

Izak1979

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NHSA, SAGA, Wingshooters of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Hi everyone, decided to register after lurking around here for some time. I am South
African, Ive been hunting since childhood, and my arsenal consists of two CZ 550 rifles, one in 270 win and one in 375 h&h. I also enjoy my Howa 1500 6.5x55 Swede. Also enjoy wingshooting and hope to one day use my 44mag Uberti single
action cattleman on a handgun hunt.

Welcome to AH Izak1979! Good to have you on the posting side.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! A lot of great info here.
Being an avid handgun hunter, I hope to sometime read your posts about you and your .44 mag.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to our place Izak

Welcome to the posting side.

Welcome
You have a good selection of calibers and rifles for Africa will work on all game. DG a partner with a bigger backup alway an option if things get ugly that said a well placed first shot is good preventive measure on all game.

I read about your Ruger #1 on "What 375..." and looked you up over here.
Welcome aboard.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the warm welcome.

Hi Izak, welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH! Nice eland in your Avatar!

Welcome Izak! Nice Eland! Any good stories behind that?

Welcome aboard Izak1979. You have a fine battery of rifles. What have you taken with the 6.5 x 55? That is my favorite caliber for the smaller PG animals. Where do you live in South Africa? Do you reload?

Welcome to AH! Nice eland in your Avatar!

Thanks enysse. That's so far my largest animal Ive taken. Planning on taking a giraffe in the next year or two with my .375.

Welcome Izak! Nice Eland! Any good stories behind that?

Hi Ridgewalker, yes, the story behind that Eland starts the previous afternoon. We were on a corporate hunt and it was the second to last full day and still had a lot of animals to fill or quota. At that point in time Ive only added a big impala ewe to the list and didn't have much luck. Late that afternoon we came across two lone wildebeest bulls and I misjudged the distance to the one I took a shot at, and wounded it. After tracking it until just before sundown, we gave it up for the night and resumed early the next morning. We found the wildebeest (still alive) close to where we gave up the search the evening before and I was able to quickly put an end to things. For the rest of that day my tracker and I didn't see any animals and I was starting to really get despondent. The sun was already sitting low on the horizon when we decided to call it in and start walking to a rendezvous point to be picked up. As we walked through the bush, we heard branches to our left and noticed this particular Eland bull slowly walking less than 50m from us about to cross our path. Completely unaware of us. My tracker put the sticks out and as he crossed the open part in front of us he stopped and I gave him a 300gr barnes x through the engine room from my Ruger no 1. Didn't go more that 30m and collapsed in a massive cloud of red dust.

Welcome aboard Izak1979. You have a fine battery of rifles. What have you taken with the 6.5 x 55? That is my favorite caliber for the smaller PG animals. Where do you live in South Africa? Do you reload?

Hi Shootist, yes I am an avid reloader and live in the east rand suburbs of Johannesburg in Gauteng. Its about 8km in a straightline from JNB airport. My 6.5x55 is still fairly new in my arsenal. I took it out the first time hunting 2 months ago and Ive taken a nice sized warthog sow and a young impala ram. The warthog dropped where it stood with a heartshot at 130m and the impala ram was about 80 paces so I took it with a headshot. There are a lot of guys here who use the Swede very successfully on everything up to and including Kudu, Gemsbuck and both Blue and Black wildebeest with good quality 156gr bullets like the Norma Oryx. It really is a lovely shooter and I struggle to decide which of the 6.5 and the .270 is deeper in my heart.

Attachments

• Good%20Hope%20Baltimore%202018%204_zpsclc1iu1a.jpg
    Good%20Hope%20Baltimore%202018%204_zpsclc1iu1a.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH!

Welcome to the other side, thanks for joining in.

CZs and Ubertis, both great. Welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg