Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF
Hunted
United States, Namibia
Brand new here. Have read a few hunt reports and hope to add to them. Recently semi-retired from a lifetime in agriculture. Still raise cattle to keep myself out of trouble. Preliminary planning for my first, but hopefully not last African hunt. Planning on hitting DSC in January after last year's cancellations. Hope to meet many of you there.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to AH Colorado cowman!

Welcome aboard Colorado cowman. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Do you have a timeframe for your African hunt? What are you planning on or thinking about hunting?

Welcome aboard Colorado cowman. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles do you own, do you reload. Do you have a timeframe for your African hunt? What are you planning on or thinking about hunting?
Have hunted whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn, elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goat as well as many small game and birds. Primary rifles 30-06 and .338 Win Mag. I do some reloading. I'm aiming for first safari in 2022. Probably plains game, with kudu and gemsbok top of list. Also interested ONLY in free-range, fair chase hunts. No high fences. I realize that rules out most RSA hunts. That's OK with me. I'm more interested in the experience than in getting lots of mounts. As a cattle rancher, I'm not interested in shooting other rancher's "cattle".

Welcome from the high country.

I'd recommend not to rule out all of the high fence operations. I hunted on one and if it wasn't for driving alongside a short section of the fence I would of never realized that it was a high fence operation. The animals were just as wild as the ones with low fences.

A 50000 acre place that is high fenced would be similar to hunting elk on Ft. Riley Kansas training ground. Never seen anyone who got a license complain.

Brand new here. Have read a few hunt reports and hope to add to them. Recently semi-retired from a lifetime in agriculture. Still raise cattle to keep myself out of trouble. Preliminary planning for my first, but hopefully not last African hunt. Planning on hitting DSC in January after last year's cancellations. Hope to meet many of you there.

Welcome to AH! A great opportunity to meet many here at DSC will be on Friday night at our annual dinner. Should be a great one this year with Covid interrupting last year.

Probably plains game, with kudu and gemsbok top of list. Also interested ONLY in free-range, fair chase hunts. No high fences. I realize that rules out most RSA hunts. That's OK with me. I'm more interested in the experience than in getting lots of mounts. As a cattle rancher, I'm not interested in shooting other rancher's "cattle".
Not sure where you are at in your planning process, but you should look into central/north central Namibia for a first hunt if this is what you want. Most outfitters will be based on a high fence ranch but all will have access to a huge amount of low fence ranches. Kudu, gemsbok, red hartebeest, warthog and several others will be very widespread and at prices similar to South Africa. If you want true wilderness for a plainsgame hunt, look into Kaokoland in NW Namibia. There’s a good thread on it here if you search Kaokoland.

Howdy & welcome to AH

Welcome to AH, lots of enablers on here that will have you booking your first safari in short order.

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH from a fellow Coloradan!

Great to see another member from Colorado.
Welcome.

Giday cowman and welcome to the AH forums

Hi Cowman, hope retirement treats you well! Welcome to AH. We'll see you at DSC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertinaS

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.