Hello from Missouri

Shellback87

Reaction score
I've been a member for around a year now but never posted much. Now I'm retiring in January and want to book a plains game hunt for 2019. That way I have a year to plan and get myself ready. I am thinking of booking my hunt in January 2018 for a 2019 hunt. The first big question I have is should I work with an agent or book the hunt on my own?
I'm thinking South Africa would be a great place to go.

Welcome to AH, there are plenty of sponsors for this great website that can give you a hunting quote for a hunt.

Hello and welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH Shellback87! You've been a member for a lot longer than a year as you joined on Nov 2, 2013 ;)... Africa awaits your arrival!

Welcome! Im from Missouri as well! Feel free to message me if you have any questions about your planning.

Welcome sir

Welcome to AH and your upcoming retirement! As to your question, there are good agents and there are bad agents. Choose and agent just as carefully as you would anything else where there is significant money involved. I know it's close to your retirement date, but I'd encourage you to take a day or two off and attend the Dallas Safari Club convention in January, 4th-7th. You'll have a chance to meet lots of outfitters face to face. And..........shameless plug alert..........if you're there on Friday evening you can attend our annual AH dinner and meet a bunch of folks from here! Hope to see you there!!

................. The first big question I have is should I work with an agent or book the hunt on my own?

One way or the other you'll have to do research. There are no short cuts. Enjoy, the process.

Do your research, you have plenty of time. a lot of good outfitters on here to talk with. Forrest

I agree. Do your research. What sealed the deal for me was finally meeting my final selections in person after much conversation and many questions answered.

The final face time convinced me of my selection. I didn't regret it. My hunt report proves that. Good luck.

Welcome aboard. What part of Missouri do you live in? What have you hunted in the past. What make and caliber rifles do you own? Do you reload? What have you hunted previously? Do you have any pictures you are willing to share?

Regarding choosing an outfitter there are no short-cuts. You need to do your own research. With that being said there are a number of outfitters that are members and or sponsors of AH. Their efforts get vetted on an almost daily basis. Web-sites can look great but that is no guarantee that the outfitter is worth a darn. If possible talk personally with someone that has been on safari with your short list of outfitters. While most do, not everyone has the time of their life hunting Africa.

Welcome to AH and your upcoming retirement! As to your question, there are good agents and there are bad agents. Choose and agent just as carefully as you would anything else where there is significant money involved. I know it's close to your retirement date, but I'd encourage you to take a day or two off and attend the Dallas Safari Club convention in January, 4th-7th. You'll have a chance to meet lots of outfitters face to face.

Excellent advice @PHOENIX PHIL ! Welcome Shellback87...! Enjoy the forums.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH sir! I take it from your chosen forum name that you have crossed the equator a time or two aboard a US Navy vessel!
Plan I g a hunt is half the fun. I live over in Kansas so if I can be of any help let me know!

I've been a member for around a year now but never posted much. Now I'm retiring in January and want to book a plains game hunt for 2019. That way I have a year to plan and get myself ready. I am thinking of booking my hunt in January 2018 for a 2019 hunt. The first big question I have is should I work with an agent or book the hunt on my own?

Welcome and remember all time's wasted what's not spent hunting.

Welcome and enjoy. Do some research and find exactly what your looking for. Plenty of fine professionals here. Give KMG safaris a look he is one of the sponsors here, you will find outstanding references. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross