Hello from Michigan

DrewFS

Reaction score
Hello all, I found this sight while researching broadheads for my upcoming 10 day bow hunting safari (Limpopo). I'm looking forward to any and all advice from what appears to be a trove of information and knowledgeable people here.
As this will be an archery safari I will be taking my 59# recurve bow and my crossbow. (I haven't done enough investigation on this forum to know whether crossbows are considered "bad". But then again I don't give a flip if someone has a problem with them. Just being honest up front about that.)

Equipment-wise my recurve (Sky Archery ILF riser/BF Extreme limbs), will be throwing Easton FMJ footed arrows that will be between 660-750gr depending on the final broadhead choice. I'm getting somewhere around 180fps with this rig. I'm still trying to find the right 2blade broadhead. I have shot Simmons and Centaurs and not sure I'm satisfied yet. The Simmons Sharks and Centaur Big Game heads are monster 2-blades and I have no issues with them. I guess I'm just not done researching broadheads yet. Definitely could use some advice here from someone with a similar set up.

My crossbow is an M355 Excalibur and I'm shooting +460gr arrows at 320fps with either Slick Trick Mags or Simmons/Centaur 2-blade broadheads. Ideally I'd like to have the same 2-blade heads dialed in for both rigs. I've shot a large whitetail deer with the Centaur Big Game head with this rig this year so I know you can tune a large 2-blade for high velocity.

I'll be pursuing Kudu, Gemsbok, and impala as my main list. Zebra, wildebeest, springbuck are all targets of opportunity. Some will be from a blind but I would really like to get out and stalk one of these species. I could use advice on that as well...which to pursue this way?

So, glad to be here and looking forward to good conversation, knowledge, and all of the hunting prep for an outstanding trip!

Cheers!

Drew

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
@DrewFS thanks for joining the site, we are glad to have you. We wont hold the stick and string addiction against you too much. I work with a great outfitter in RSA who will gladly host you for a spot and stalk hunt as well as some still hunting if you would like. Please drop me a PM or email. JJ

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Welcome to AH!

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
Welcome to AH, no weapons or quarry are frowned upon here. There is a good knowledge base here to help with any questions you have.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome Drew! Hope you upcoming hunt is great. Remember to post some pictures when you get back!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Welcome to AH.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Welcome and have a great hunt.

huntermn15

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, AK SCI
Hunted
U.S.A. NJ, TX, AZ, AK. Limpopo and the Kalihari in South Africa. Eastern Cape RSA 2017.
Welcome Drew, enjoy your first safari! I just returned from my first safari (rifle) in Limpopo this September, it was fantastic. If you have any general questions, feel free to PM me.

Mike

peras

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
PHASA HSC
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Mozambique
Welcome to AH!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Hi Drew, welcome to AH !

DrewFS

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I cannot wait to get to SA. But I love the whole process of gear selection, prep, and practice, practice, practice.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Welcome!

petrusg

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DCS, PHASA, SA Hunters, Xtreem Archery, Rowland Ward, WRSA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH Drew!

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
Welcome and best of luck with you Limpopo hunt

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Welcome to AH Drew! Enjoy your hunt and bring us back a hunting report with lots of pics, your going to love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NelleBruns

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.